Old 15th January 2007, 19:31   #41
mlib2003

using WINAMP with Unicode media libraries

I'm successfully using Winamp with my unicode media library. You can read more here:

http://www.desertmodernism.com/black...a_bliss_1.html

In short, my solution was to use the Winamp player (player module only -- not the library window) in conjunction with AudioManage, which supports unicode.

First organize your unicode library with AudioManage. The newly organized virtual collection will act as your library window. Click on any song in the virtual library and Winamp plays the song.

This is a simple and easy solution for users with unicode media libraries.
Old 15th January 2007, 21:48   #42
OCedHrt

A simpler solution would be the array of unicode enabled media applications such as WMP, foobar, musikcube, etc.
Old 15th January 2007, 22:14   #43
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by OCedHrt
A simpler solution would be the array of unicode enabled media applications such as WMP, foobar, musikcube, etc.
great suggestion considering wanting to do it _with_ winamp yes? work is being done on making a new ml_local which will be unicode enabled so it will appear at some stage (though if it was such an issue then i'm sure people could have started on their own unicode enabled ml_local if it was that important). and you can't just change a fully ansi designed app (and associated plugins as the ml fails under) into unicode compatible just like that (is just humanly impossible)

-daz
Old 17th January 2007, 02:31   #44
Nealo

Why not UNICODE ??

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
great suggestion considering wanting to do it _with_ winamp yes? work is being done on making a new ml_local which will be unicode enabled so it will appear at some stage (though if it was such an issue then i'm sure people could have started on their own unicode enabled ml_local if it was that important). and you can't just change a fully ansi designed app (and associated plugins as the ml fails under) into unicode compatible just like that (is just humanly impossible)

-daz
Most of us who needed unicode support have already dropped winamp, so the poster probably didn't know there were any plans to add unicode support to Winamp. I didn't, until I did some research just now. We were told that there would most likely never be Unicode support in Winamp, so we should give up on it.

I'm glad to hear that Winamp may not be dead to most of the world, anymore. It's about time.

I used to like winamp a lot. I haven't updated in a while, but judging by the latest version I downloaded, Winmap's feature "bloat" hasn't affected performance too much (if those features are disabled).
Old 17th January 2007, 10:08   #45
DrO

Quote:
We were told that there would most likely never be Unicode support in Winamp, so we should give up on it.
which were comments from the old dev team and from what i know off from the one guy who has effectively been doing all of the changes, it was never going to be easy even with a full dev team (plus most of the comments were stated when the original dev team were in the stage of leaving when the future of winamp seemed pretty bleak)

-daz
Old 17th January 2007, 19:14   #46
OCedHrt

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

-daz
Neither is AudioManage winamp. And just like Nealo said, I dropped winamp years ago. I can also think of several ways to allow winamp to work with unicode that are probably easier than whatever attempt is being undertaken now. But really, just using another media player is much easier.

Of course, significant progress has been made in the last year.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:33   #47
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by OCedHrt
Neither is AudioManage winamp. And just like Nealo said, I dropped winamp years ago. I can also think of several ways to allow winamp to work with unicode that are probably easier than whatever attempt is being undertaken now. But really, just using another media player is much easier.

Of course, significant progress has been made in the last year.
The main sticking point for converting to Unicode was the existence of third party plugins. However, a clever solution was found to allow for Unicode, allow for older third party plugins, and give the older ANSI plugins a limited ability to access Unicode filenames (by using short filenames which are usually 7bit).

There were plenty of easy ways to convert Winamp to Unicode, but few that allowed for perfect backwards compatibility.

At this point, the only work to be done is converting the media library and it's mostly finished.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports