Old 5th December 2001, 19:07   #1
-Kosh-

Comments, criticisms, suggestions, advice?

Howdy.

After searching for a skin based on the show Farscape, I discovered that none of the ones I found featured Moya, the living ship. So, I took it upon myself to correct this. Started off with a Skinner (I know I know I know....), but after not getting what I wanted, I switched to Photoshop, and have been a busy little newbie skinner.

Here's the finished product.

Yes, the MB and the AVS are skinned, too. I'd contacted another skinner about his posbar.bmp file, which I really liked, and he's given me permission to use it, so I was able to change the basic posbar to the one that looks like Moya in the shot above.

I'm actually pretty proud of the skin, even if it is amateurish for a first attempt. And, I was surprised to find, skinning was actually kinda relaxing.

Anyways, any suggestions, hints, etc? Flames will be round-filed, but constructive criticisms are welcomed.
-Kosh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2001, 20:14   #2
chiquita chad
Forum King

u need to customize the rest of the buttons.... still too much skinner.exe in there... work on that and then post the skin and ill tell you what more needs to be done

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2001, 21:19   #3
Omnitarian

Send a message via AIM to Omnitarian
The PL stacks and EQ Sliders in particular. It makes me all teary to see someone work with a skinner skin...
Omnitarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2001, 21:41   #4
-Kosh-

Okay, I understand how using a skinner is "bad" and can cause some acrimonious responses. However, getting "teary" about the fact that I used a Skinner for the basics discounts the fact that I've been tweaking and adjusting (gradients in the playlist buttons, posbar, adjusting the EQ gradient by hand, editing the viscolor.txt by hand, and more).

Speaking of the playlist buttons, what's wrong with em, Omnitarian? I've tweaked 'em to include gradients, and am trying to figure our how to make 'em round, instead of simply square. (truly round, not just a circle in a square background).

For the EQ buttons, I'm currently looking for reference materials so I can try to make them like the control panels on Moya's internal systems.
Old 5th December 2001, 23:49   #5
Riksruin
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Riksruin Send a message via AIM to Riksruin Send a message via Yahoo to Riksruin
Quote:
Originally posted by -Kosh-
Okay, I understand how using a skinner is "bad" and can cause some acrimonious responses.
Its not exactly bad in my opinion, providing customisation is done afterwards then what is the big beef with skinner.exe? whats the problem with it being used to cut up the bitmaps??

Quote:
Originally posted by -Kosh-
and am trying to figure our how to make 'em round, instead of simply square. (truly round, not just a circle in a square background).
The only way 2 do this is by copying what goes behind the playlist stack, copy both the texture for the bottom and then fill the rest with you backing colour for the playlist in this case black, and then draw your circle ontop
Riksruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2001, 14:38   #6
-Kosh-

Okie, I think I've improved the EQ buttons. I think I've figured out how to make 'em look a bit translucent, I think. Lemme know what your opinions are. The PreAmp button, on the far left, shows the "active" state (change in color).

Thanks for the tips, folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq_new.jpg (7.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 6th December 2001, 16:46   #7
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I know I am going to get abused for this one but...........

I like the black buttons on the original skin better. As a matter of fact, I thought the whole thing looked pretty darn cool.

Ok, I am not a skinner, I can only tell you what my eyes like and dont like. Good Job!

~ Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2001, 22:30   #8
~Supey

Send a message via ICQ to ~Supey Send a message via AIM to ~Supey Send a message via Yahoo to ~Supey
it's good to see that you're customizing it and not just taking what the skinner spat out

the new eq buttons are nice, but the first ones went better with the eq bars. the news ones look out of place

you can customize the pl buttons more by customizing the text on them. leaving the default text is pooey
~Supey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins