Old 22nd February 2002, 12:35   #1
*Chester*

Question....

Could somone point me to a good FREE web host, Angelcities, and Geocities have gone crappy now. Sorry for keep asking stupid questions, but i can't help being stupid! i was born this way
*Chester* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 12:43   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Free=shite
Get your hand in your pocket and pay for some domain space, you won't regret it.

In the mean time....
www.brinkster.com (good but limited to what you can do with it)
www.l33t.ca (excellent host, lots of goodies,shitty servers thos and only free up to the point where you start sucking more than 400mb worth of bandwidth per month.)

Dosn't your ISP offer any web space?, most do, even if it's just simple http:// access and nothing else.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 12:49   #3
PeaceMaker
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to PeaceMaker
whats this got to do with wa 2 skins....
PeaceMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 12:55   #4
Forevever
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Forevever Send a message via Yahoo to Forevever
free webspace is awesome if you're a skinner. you can post previews, you can create your own site to post your skins, you can upload your sig to it, blah blah blah, on and on and on (actually its too early for me to think of any other reasons this might have something to do with WA2skins) hope I helped

If anyone can find any of the skins I made please email them to Forevever@aol.com
I can't remember all the names but specifically hunting for Lascivious, and DEVOUR (compilation with Jax) and any in the Impulse series which had 6 total. Auriferous, Gilt, Impulse, Nadir, and 2 others I can't remember but you dig.
Forevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 12:59   #5
*Chester*

cheerz
Just looking thru a few now.... All seem to be good in there own way

An for Mr. J, I can't get my hand in my pocket, no job, still in college tax doger! hehe
Old 22nd February 2002, 13:17   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Forevever
free webspace is awesome if you're a skinner.

Depending on where your free host is.

For kickers, most free web hosts don't allow the uploading of .zip files for security reasons, most have never heard of the .wsz format.
Off site linking to either download links and image links is pretty fucked up on most freebies.

Most freebies only offer basic http access, limiting you to what you could design site wise, who wants a plain old HTML site these days?

Most freebies, cripple you with banner adds, pop up adds or hidden auto spawner adds.

ISP provided space is probably your best bet, again, limited to what you can do on it, but they usualy allow off site linkage, downside of that is, you have little say over the domain name, so if you want something catchy like HTTP://myshittyISP.com/users/~Chickenclucker69 as your domain name, go ahead, same applies to most freebie hosting servers.

Customer service is often slim to non existant on most freebies, most ISP customer services are as limited, so when your web page goes 404 the most you can probably expect is "I dunno"

Now for a little cash, I see your a UK dude like myself, you could buy yourself a proper .com domain name, some top wack domain hosting that offers features such as....
250Mb Web Space
50 POP3 Accounts
1 GB Transfer per month
Unlimited Aliases
Dedicated CGI Bin
Control Panel
Telephone & Email Support
Unlimited Email Forwarding
Auto Responders
SSH/Telnet Access
Full Web Statistics
24/7 FTP Access
SSI Support
PHP4 Support
MySQL Database
Free Domain Transfers
Wap Support

The PHP4, CGI-Bin and MySQL support being particulary desireable , can create some top notch stuff in there, all for probably less than you spend in the student bar on a weekend. Man, go street busking or something, you can probably scrape up the £30 that costs in next to no time, failing that , tap the parents or friends for a loan.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 14:22   #7
*Chester*

Quote:
Most freebies only offer basic http access, limiting you to what you could design site wise, who wants a plain old HTML site these days?

I can only do basic HTTP so whats the point in paying for things i can't use? Next year I'll be able to do it, A nice Comp programming course is coming up, yey!
Old 22nd February 2002, 15:31   #8
skinme!
Forum King

I'm gonna get a crappy saturday job soon so I'll be able to get http://www.skinme.co.uk - then I can teach myself PHP and such orgasmic languages. Bah, and they thought French was good...

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 17:09   #9
Mind X

www.50megs.com
I don't know if they're still good...
Mind X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 22:56   #10
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
i use www.freeservers.com

PHP and SQL 0wn (i have known PHP for years) - good choice (better than any sodding asp)
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 01:25   #11
Forevever
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Forevever Send a message via Yahoo to Forevever
I have 22 free megabytes of AoL FTP space
I can't complain

If anyone can find any of the skins I made please email them to Forevever@aol.com
I can't remember all the names but specifically hunting for Lascivious, and DEVOUR (compilation with Jax) and any in the Impulse series which had 6 total. Auriferous, Gilt, Impulse, Nadir, and 2 others I can't remember but you dig.
Forevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 02:10   #12
Ch33zels
Major Dude

fortunecity is good, i've got about 100mb of free space, they allow .zip files, .wsz files umm..... well... most files..... umm.... somehow i managed to not get any ads on my website (i think there are usually ads tho)

and pretty much all i use my 100mb for is to host my sig and my red smiley
Ch33zels is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins