Old 23rd April 2013, 05:52   #1
bobn42855

File type association problems

I was having what I felt to be strange behavior whenever trying to change file type associations from within Winamp. Searching this forum for an answer, I don't think I was alone. Maybe no one else here is as dense as me but just in case, I want to tell what I found to be my problem.

First, all I wanted to do was give a different icon to different audio type files all associated with Winamp. Did it very simply for video files and VLC.

First thing I didn't realize and found in these forums was that I had to have something selected in "Shell Options". Unchecking that right away after installing Winamp hadn't caused a problem, I suppose because it had already initially set up it's own associations properly. All I had done association-wise at that point was just stolen Winamp initial file type associations via other programs such as VLC. But, soon as I started trying to change associations from within Winamp, Windows would get a 'Windows can't open this file, blah, blah blah'.

So, I checked 'Enqueue & Play' and, under it, "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action". This seemed to work until the first time I changed one of the file type associations from within Winamp. Then I got the 'Windows can't open this file' on all file types still associated with Winamp. Checked and the "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action" was unchecked. Turns out every time I add or remove a file type association, Winamp unchecks "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action". As long as I remember when I make a file type association change, to also go back and re-check that option, then everything works as I would expect. The weird thing to me, though, is I have a program that shows me the stuff on Windows 7 for a file type that XP's file types options used to show. The actions for these file types still show 'EnqueueAndPlay' and 'open' even when Winamp's "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action" gets unchecked due to a file type association change. Even though everything in the file type looks like it's set up properly to work, it doesn't if the "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action" got unchecked due to a file association change. I'm assuming that "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action" getting unchecked when a file type association is made is either a bug or something happening due to my particular setup.

Now, with regard to maintaining separate icons for file types, once I get Winamp's associations the way I want them, I can use another program to change the icons for the various file types as desired. However, as soon as I change an association in Winamp, it apparently sets all the selected associations again rather than just the ones that changed because all the associated file types' icons get changed back to the Winamp icon. While this may not be considered a 'bug' as such, it would be nice if only the changed associations would be changed. Or, at least, only change the ones that aren't what they need to be except for the icon. In other words, if an unchanged association is already set up as it should be except for the icon, leave it as is. In my search for trying to do this, I saw a lot of other people wanting separate icons because it just makes recognizing certain file types in a list much easier.

Welcome any comments. Thanks.

Winamp 5.63
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
i3 3.2 GHz, 4G ram

Addendum:
I see now that I shouldn't have to select 'Enqueue & Play' to get the file associations to work. I didn't think that I should but every time I made an association without that checked, it didn't work. I just now found out why. When I use my program to look at the file type settings, whenever I change an association in Winamp without that checked, the 'open' action does not get marked as 'Default action'. When I mark it as such, then the association works. I made some association changes via some other programs and that 'Default action' always gets set. So, I'm thinking Winamp should be doing that as well?

So I went through and checked the 'Default action' for the 'open' action for every file type associated with Winamp that I use and everything is working perfectly. Soon as I change any file type association in Winamp, it redoes all the associations without that checked and Windows gives me the 'Windows can't open this file' when I double click a file with type associated to Winamp. Is this happening to anyone else? Bug or something wrong just on my end? Thanks.
bobn42855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:59   #2
DrO

overriding your customisations when making changes in-Winamp is how Winamp works so it can ensure it's got the registry entries in the correct state.

you can use an icon pack to allow Winamp to do what it wants with regards to the registry handling whilst still allowing you to set the icons. that's my only suggestion otherwise you need to remember not to change any associations inside of Winamp to preserve any customisations you make.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:37   #3
bobn42855

Thanks for the response, DrO.

First point: I agree they have to maintain proper registry entries for things to work correctly but, as I suggested above, if the entries are correct for Winamp except for the icon on a file association that hasn't even been requested to be changed, then they wouldn't have to write new entries for it which is going to do nothing other than change the icon. The selected icon registry entry isn't going to affect whether or not the association works correctly.

Second point: I didn't see any icon packs I particularly liked but I installed one just to see how that works and uninstalling it broke the Winamp associations with all it file types which is what got me started down this path in the first place trying to reestablish Winamp's associations and noticing this unusual behavior. I've been using PC's ever since they were born and I've never run into so much trouble trying to simply establish file associations with an application.
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:56   #4
DrO

well you can blame me for all of the issues especially with icon packs as i'm the one who hacked the feature into Winamp and i know the uninstall behaviour is far from ideal. but going back to the main file types page and leaving it should have re-built things (if not holding the ctrl key when leaving it will force a rebuild).

you are probably right that we shouldn't be re-doing things in the way it does but alas this is behaviour that has been going on for over a decade. however i remember times when the icons were hijacked and so needed to be re-built in the way they are so yes maybe it shouldn't do it, but that's how it is and for the time being is unlikely to see any change.

with the icon pack aspect, you can make your own i.e. take an existing icon pack dll and alter the icons in it to get what you want (as per http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=322884 if i remember correctly).
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:48   #5
bobn42855

Thanks again, DrO. I'm not looking to blame anyone for anything - just trying to accomplish what I was after. As of now, I've done that. If I get in the situation of needing to change file associations in Winamp often and losing my chosen icons each time, I will look into the link you supplied.

But there's still the issue that when 'Enqueue & Play' isn't checked, the 'open' action for the file types is not getting set as the 'Default action'. The associations would not work until I went in and manually made that change to the 'open' action on every file type that I use. And I would still like to know if anyone else is experiencing that or the situation I explained above of the "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action" getting unchecked whenever a file association is added or removed with 'Enqueue & Play' checked. That was driving me batty trying to figure out why every time I made such a change, Windows would give the 'Windows can't open this file' on all file types still associated with Winamp until I would go back in and re-check "Set 'Enqueue & Play' as the default file action". If it's happening to others, it may be driving them batty too. If not, I want to try to figure out why I have the issue and fix it on my end.

I realize this is probably not a problem for a lot of people because most, including myself, would just use right click context menu "Open with" to change a default file association and the association does work when done that way. The only reason I tried doing it from within Winamp was to see if I could accomplish it without changing the icon for all file types associated with Winamp - just the one. In fact, now that I think about it, it seems even more strange for Winamp to rewrite all its file associations when asked to change only one file type association via the "Open with". And, again, I realize that doesn't hurt anything other than changing any user-changed icon but I don't think it's necessarily intuitive to think that when you've requested to associate just this one file type with Winamp that it is going to change any other.

Frankly, I would like to see an 'Update file type associations now' or 'Cancel' button to get out of the File Types screen without making the associations. I've accidentally clicked on 'All' or 'Video only' and then had to select 'Audio only' and go through the audio types and un-highlight the ones I don't want Winamp to handle. And then, of course, that's another problem for me because even though I haven't really changed any of the types from what they were, it considers I've made a change and will re-write all the associations wiping out my icons.

I'm not wishing to stir up any trouble here, but "alas this is behaviour that has been going on for over a decade" - I just don't understand what that has to do with anything.
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:15   #6
DrO

enqueue and play is another hack which is also why it's not doing as you'd expect on the other action.

i can go into a full set of details as to what and why it's doing it and why it's done it for so long and why it's pretty much going to keep trashing anything you (or other users) manually change but there's little point.

as for the 'open with', that's done by the OS which may have triggered Winamp to provide it's associations (has been a while since i did anything with that code). then again, the preferred way to associate files with a program is via the OSes control panel rather than the in-Winamp page which just about works up to Windows 7 and then from Windows 8 it doesn't.

how things work is not ideal but that's all we've got and my hacks for icon packs, etc haven't helped with the scenario you're facing (as all of the problem points stem from the hacks i added in gen_jumpex.dll to things which should either a) not be done or b) just done natively in the core).

as far as the preferences go, it's always been that changes are applied on exit or immediately if possible. with the case of the file type selection and revet but it still triggers off an update, that is my fault as i rushed a quick fix on that page a few years back to just look at _any_ change to cause an update (before then it'd update even if nothing had changed i.e. just viewing the page) so it's better than it was but yes, it should check for any specific changes against what was on loading the view and what is set on closing the view. but that's time and is something which is somewhat lacking at the moment.

i'm not saying what you're suggesting isn't things that should be done, but with the big cloud push we've got going on, anything like this just isn't going to get time (even if done in 'free-time' to improve the experience which is the sad truth).
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:31   #7
bobn42855

Well, thank you, DrO. I'm glad you didn't take offense to anything - that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to get these findings out there so that someone else trying to do what I was might save themselves some time.
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:40   #8
DrO

there never was any offence taken, was just stating that for a change, it's possible to determine who was at fault for some of the issues you were having (which should be fixed somehow but isn't going to something done soon however annoying it all is ).
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:55   #9
bobn42855

I'm so used to the arrogance on most support forums that the lack of that which I've encountered here is truly refreshing - helps restore my love for others. And I don't think we disagreed but even had we, I'm able to agree to disagree without taking it personally. So, if, in the future, you ever need to put me in my place ... feel free to do so. And I think I understand your situation a little better now and will try not to bug you unless I deem it really important ... or just want to hear your voice.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
file type associations