Old 16th November 2004, 09:07   #1
eric0668

New Member. DSP Question

I just got Winamp tonight at the suggestion of someone in the MSFN forum. Someone else at Kevin's Resource Center recommends JetAudio.

First of all, I accidentally deleted whatever DSP plugin comes with Winamp. Could you tell me which one it is, where and how to get it back, and how to install and use it when i do get it.

Which features does the pro version have that the regular one does not.

If I were to ask you if this media player is better that Jetaudio and why, what would you say? I realize it is strictly preference tho and sound is subjective, but I'd appreciate your feedback.

thanks
Eric
eric0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 09:13   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

The plug-in that comes with Winamp 5.05 full is SPS (Signal Processing Studio). You can get it back by reinstalling Winamp over it's self.

Pro allows you to burn AudioCDs and Rip in the MP3 format as well as rip faster then 2X.

I never heard of Jet Audio, therefore it must suck ass. Therefore Winamp is better.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 09:43   #3
eric0668

thanks

Well, I guess my reply would be thanks. ....I guess.
But I can honestly say that I've never gotten a reply like that in ANY forum I've ever been in.

But since I've posted, over the last half hour, I've had time to try Winamp. The people of KRC are correct. Winamp pales GREATLY in comparison to Jet Audio. For you, And everyone on here. TRY JET AUDIO. FAR SUPERIOR in sound quality, sophistication, more refined, user friendly, FAR. Try it. I would rather express myself the way I did in my previous sentence than say "Winamp 'sucks ass' "

Thanks
Old 16th November 2004, 10:24   #4
eric0668

Thanks again for your help, but I tried reinstalling it.The SPS plugin was not in the DSP. I tried searching for SPS under plugins. I found 2. Which one was it. Anyway, I downloaded both. Installed them, supposedly. But they did not show up there. I looked in the plugin folder I believe they are there. Any idea what I did wrong or what I need to do. Thanks.
Old 16th November 2004, 17:49   #5
siebe83
Forum King

That's odd...
In the Winamp plugins folder (default C:\Program Files\Winamp\plugins) there should be a file dsp_sps.dll. If it's not there, it's probably not installed...
The Signal Processing Studio is only included in the full version of Winamp. Be sure you checked SPS in the installer.

If the file is in the plugins folder, the plugin should show up under Prefs > Plug-ins > DSP/Effect > Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio.

The results you get when you search for SPS in the plugins database, are SPS presets. By installing those, you won't get the SPS plugin itself. As far as I know, the only way to get the plugin itself is to install the full version of Winamp.

Btw, if you want to have an objective comparison of Winamp and another player, you shouldn't post on the Winamp forums

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 18:02   #6
JonnyMac

Maybe this...

Ctrl+P > Plug-ins > Make sure the Visualization & DSP/Effects plug-in directories are set correctly > click the 'Flush plug-in name cache' button

Close and restart Winamp.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 18:19   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by eric0668
Well, I guess my reply would be thanks. ....I guess.
But I can honestly say that I've never gotten a reply like that in ANY forum I've ever been in.

But since I've posted, over the last half hour, I've had time to try Winamp. The people of KRC are correct. Winamp pales GREATLY in comparison to Jet Audio. For you, And everyone on here. TRY JET AUDIO. FAR SUPERIOR in sound quality, sophistication, more refined, user friendly, FAR. Try it. I would rather express myself the way I did in my previous sentence than say "Winamp 'sucks ass' "

Thanks
Can you say placebo?

With all effects and equalizers turned off all players sound exactly the same (unless they're broken).

Btw, older 'free' versions of Jet Audio contained adware, did they change that?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 21:39   #8
eric0668

Thanks I am trying the "flush " thing now.

You are absolutely correct Siebe83, but more than not getting an objective answer, you'll get an ignorant response like I got. I guess I had that one coming to me.
Old 16th November 2004, 21:56   #9
eric0668

I tried the Flush button thing it did not work. What was that supposed to do? Did u say hit control p, that brought up my print screen, but no problem, I found the button under preferences. But, again, it did not work. Any idea why. I reinstalled it and the file is not in the plugin folder. there is a dsp_sps folder but no dsp_sps.dll icon or file ??

What was the difference someone was trying to say in the SPS that comes with the player, and the 2 SPS's that I found when I did a search for SPS in the plugins. Something about presets vs. the plugin itself. ??? I thought that is what a plug in is going to have presets
Old 16th November 2004, 22:04   #10
siebe83
Forum King

The Signal Processor Studio plugin will allow you to transform/manipulate/alter the sound of Winamp in a lot of ways. You can tell it to play the sound in mono, add echo, add stereo effect, control the pitch, etc. etc.

In the plugin you can load presets. The presets are stored as .sps files. One of the default presets coming with the Winamp install is justin - simple pitch and tempo (half-2x) control.sps. If you load that preset in the Signal Processor Studio plugin, you will be able to control the tempo and pitch of the sound coming out of Winamp.
You can make your own presets, download new ones, or use the default ones (in the DSP_SPS folder which you mentioned).

As far as it concerns your problem: I'm at a loss here... Anyone else?

All I can suggest is a clean install of the full version of Winamp.

Old 16th November 2004, 22:12   #11
eric0668

you are very good

So the SPS is the plugin itself. And when I did the search for SPS in plugins, it gives you the SPS plug in presets that get applied to the SPS plug in. Right? I am sure, cause you explained it superbly

Just out of curiosity. someone said hit control p to get preferences. I said I got my Print menu. Did I have my cursor in the wrong place or something, or did I misunderstand?

I will try a clean install. But to be honest, and you do seem like on I can be honest with. If you know Jet Audio, I like players, or skins, that are large, with buttons clearly indicated or easily used, not a lot hidden. Otherwise I'd stick with Winamp for a while. Am I just missing the right Skin. What is it if you or anyone knows.
Something big and easy like Jet Audio or RealPlayer
Old 16th November 2004, 22:18   #12
JonnyMac

Yup, SPS is the plug-in it self and it is the presets that let you have different effects.

I meant Ctrl+P in Winamp (while Winamp is in focus). The 'Flush plug-in name cache' button does just as it says. There is a file with the names of the plug-ins, sometimes (and rarely) that file can get corrupted and Winamp may not display the plug-ins lists correctly. Pushing the "Flush" button allows Winamp to start with a clean slate so the list will display correctly.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 16th November 2004, 22:19   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Yes, reinstall Winamp.(edit: I somehow missed where you wrote that you'd already tried that.)

What you got from winamp.com/plugins are additional SPS presets.

Hi JonnyMac
Old 16th November 2004, 22:26   #14
eric0668

Thanks. You are all very patient and smart. I am going to try to do a clean install. Even tho I don't have to, I will just totally remove what I havee and start new. (Why did you say I could reinstall over what I have. I already tried that and it did not work?)

I just think I got overwhelmed with downloading everything. Then tried to get too many skins and plugins.
What are the 1,2 or 3 basic plugins I as a beginner may want or need to try. How bout that skin question I had, a large skin with clearly marked keys.

I downloaded that AVis thing??? Don't know what that is.Is that too much for a novice. Also that Lyric thing. Don't know how to apply it or what it does. I'll leave it up to you all to decide if you should point me where I should read on it, or if you wanna explain it, or if you think it is not worth it and I should just get the plugins and skins that you recommend to start

thanks
eric
Old 16th November 2004, 22:48   #15
siebe83
Forum King

Loads of plugins available. It really depends on what you are looking for. Visualization, media organization, sound processing, etc...
Just some links for a start:
Most Requested Features / Plug-ins (even more here)
DrO's plugins
Full list of playlist management plugins
or my sig at the bottom of this post

I did not try all available lyrics plugins, but the one I like is EvilLyrics

Are you referring to aVisual? That's a visualization plugin. I never tried that one, so I can't judge on that. I sometimes use MilkDrop myself (included in the full version of Winamp: Prefs > Visualization > MilkDrop).
All installed visualization plugins are accessible through Prefs > Visualization.

As for the skin prob: you should look for Modern skins. Classic skins all have the same size. I use classic skins myself, so I don't really know of large modern skins...

Best way to find out what you like: check it out!

Old 16th November 2004, 23:08   #16
gaekwad2
Foorum King

This skin is quite big (also available as single-window-version).

As for visualizations, check out R4, the latest version (not the one from winamp.com, unless they updated it) finally works with ATI cards as well.
Old 16th November 2004, 23:30   #17
eric0668

Well some of my questions were answered. I am reinstalling as I type. I don't even know what a lyric plugin is. I don't know what a playlist is. I am stupid.

that r4 visualization. it says it is to buy. if I click that download button. is that the freeware version. And what is ATI card, and what does it mean that visualization works well with it.

I know I am full of 100 questions. Always am . It is greatly appreciated. but feel free to take a break and not answer anytime. thx
Old 17th November 2004, 00:01   #18
gaekwad2
Foorum King

The downloadable version of R4 is free, its only downside is a scrolling "This version is only for non-commercial use!" message.

ATi is one of the 2 main graphics card makers. In old versions of R4 about half the visualizations didn't show up if you had one of these cards.
Old 17th November 2004, 00:08   #19
eric0668

oh thank you. I have g force 4?? Is that right. I assume it would work there. I think I am beginning to like it tho. because with this original skin, even tho I could do it with Jet, I can leave it open in the center, use DesktopX, hide my icons and put the desk widget on there that holds my desktop icons. The only thing is I use IE icon a lot . is there a way to hide all icons except for 1, IE.?? I don't think so.

Next, Someone earlier in this forum showed me their desktop where it is always there, on top. I think even on top of the IE window when it was open. I did download the IE bar, but is there a way to have the player slimmed downn and always on top

I am not sure if these 2 questions make sense???
Old 17th November 2004, 00:20   #20
JonnyMac

I am coming back to this thread late....

@ eric0668

As far as plug-ins or skins suggestions it is very much, "to each their own". It is all a matter of preferences and what the user would like Winamp to do. Lyric plug-ins let you see the lyrics (words) as the song is playing.

Here are some helpfu links about Winamp...

Winamp.com Guides/Documentation
Winamp Overview
Walking Tour
Winamp FAQ
Online Documentation (via the F1 key)

Winamp Forum Highlights
EdgeOfEpsilon's FAQ
Common Issues (from Troubleshooter Sticky)
Useful Links to Common Problems & FAQs (from TSGH)

Outside Guides/Information
inthegray's Winamp Unlimited (forum member)
c|net's Get started with Winamp (dated but informative)
CMJ - MP3 Terminology (dated but informative)

@ everyone

This is very much becoming a Winamp Discussion thread. I am thinking about moving this to Winamp Discussion.
Old 17th November 2004, 00:32   #21
eric0668

I read a couple of those articles. thanks.

I am trying to unsubscribe to that email notification. I went to home, change my options, selected no for email notification, clicked submit chgs at the bottom. I am still getting email.
Old 17th November 2004, 00:42   #22
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by eric0668
Next, Someone earlier in this forum showed me their desktop where it is always there, on top. I think even on top of the IE window when it was open. I did download the IE bar, but is there a way to have the player slimmed downn and always on top
That's the Docked Toolbar mode: first click on the Windowshade button (top right, next to the x), then right-click on the player and choose Window Seetings > Docked Toolbar > Top (or Bottom).

@JonnyMac: I'd also move it to WD.
Old 17th November 2004, 00:43   #23
JonnyMac

Do you mean the notification you get when someone post a reply? Click on | My Control Panel | near the top of Winamp forums. Under the 'Subscribed Threads' heading/box there should be an option to unsubscribe.

I am going to take a break from the Forums for awhile.

Moving this to Winamp Discussion
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion