Old 29th February 2012, 22:44   #1
fawxy

Shoutcast 2 vs 1

So I've been using shoutcast 1.9.8 for my online radio station and I've wanted to upgrade to shoutcast 2.0 but I'm not sure if my site is going to be compatible with it or not. Will the statistics and radio player still work the same or will it need to be coded to work with 2.0. Also we use SAM broadcaster will everyone need to upgrade to SAM 4?
fawxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 10:41   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawxy View Post
Will the statistics and radio player still work the same or will it need to be coded to work with 2.0.
it depends on what it's been pulling from as 7.html is no longer but instead there's an xml-based /stats option for streams. as for the player, there should be no difference as v1 and v2 clients are handled as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawxy View Post
Also we use SAM broadcaster will everyone need to upgrade to SAM 4?
the v2 DNAS still accepts v1 source connections, it just won't allow you to have multiple v1 sources connected to different streams (though am debating some changes which would allow for that in a later build).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 16:55   #3
fawxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it just won't allow you to have multiple v1 sources connected to different streams
What do you mean by that? Do you mean like more than one DJ's connected at the same time?
Old 1st March 2012, 17:07   #4
DrO

as the v2 DNAS allows multiple streams to be hosted through it, it can take v1 or v2 sources to feed those streams.

however, due to how v1 sources work, you can only really connect on stream #1 when using a v1 source.

for a single stream setup then that isn't an issue, but if you want to have a stream source also connected for stream #2 (or however many more), then you need to use a v2 source for those higher streams.

so if you're just running things like with a v1 setup i.e. 1 DNAS and 1 source then it's not something to worry about, is only when you start running multiple streams and so need to have multiple sources connected to feed those streams.

-daz
Old 1st March 2012, 17:14   #5
fawxy

Oh i see that pretty cool then. I'm going to go mess around with this to see if if can't get it to work with my stuff. Thank you very much for answering my questions.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:30   #6
fawxy

When a mp3 format song comes on and you don't have the mp3 unlock does it kick the stream? What format songs can i test to see if its going to work before i get the key?
Old 1st March 2012, 18:46   #7
thinktink
Forum King

You don't need the MP3 license key to play (decode) songs that are in mp3, just to encode them into mp3 for your listeners. Without the mp3 encoding license you will still be able to use mp3 files in your Transcoder playlist(s) but have the Transcoder encode to AAC+ to send to the DNAS instead of MP3.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:00   #8
fawxy

Oh cause every time i play a track i get kicked off and my SAM closes. I thought that was why.
Old 1st March 2012, 22:45   #9
DrO

the mp3 license is only for creating mp3 streams using sc_trans (though generally any paid for transcoder will have the cost of mp3 encoding included in the price for things).

the DNAS itself will take an mp3 stream without issue. so really you'd need to check the DNAS's logs (isn't too clear by 'SAM closes' you mean it crashes) and see what that shows / indicates the error might be. as well as seeing if SAM reports anything (though am sure at least with 4.9.2 which is their current release that there are some stability issues, not sure about anything else).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions