Old 20th January 2017, 05:30   #1
RadioFreak84

Shoutcast Directory Broken!

The Shoutcast.com directory is broken. A bunch of stations that are 60's, Rock, Country - You name it are all under the Hip Hop genre.

There are also appears to be a real mess with stations that are supposed to be listed under Rock, Decades, Country, Electronic, etc that are not appearing under the Genre they should be listed under.

It really devalues the website! Can someone please fix this asap?
RadioFreak84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 06:34   #2
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

all v1 stations, as far as i can tell -- all mis-genred -- v2 stations ok?
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:30   #3
RadioFreak84

Shoutcast Directory Genres Corrupted

It's not just v1 stations. It's completely random. Country and 60's, etc listed under the Genre of Hip Hop. For some reason, from what I can see most everything that has the wrong Genre is displaying Hip Hop. It's making Shoutcast a complete disorder. Please fix this.
Old 20th January 2017, 13:20   #4
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

The wrong Genre being used is probably on the users end when they set the encoder up...

You have to set a genre but most don't bother and end up with some random one. Its one of the pitfalls of Internet radio.

Not a lot Shoutcast could do even if they wanted to I think!
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 15:11   #5
RadioFreak84

It's not this time around. Hundreds of stations suddenly switching their Genres to go under Hip Hop overnight -- Highly unlikely!

It's defanitly a bug on Shoutcast.com's end. Channels that have been around for years 60's stations, Easy Listening and Country stations appearing under Hip Hop genre doesn't happen by the mistake of the broadcaster. There is something defective on Shoutcast for certain.
Old 20th January 2017, 18:35   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yup, strange

The problem has been reported.
Hopefully it will be fixed asap.

At a glance, it does seem to be mainly v1.x, icecast & relay streams (i.e. with no authhash), and not latest DNAS v2.x streams...
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 16:42   #7
CJPR

My station was also shifted from Metal to Hip-Hop. I restarted my radio software and main encoders (not relays) and it went back to the correct genre. For what it is worth my station was running for 63 days so no changes to encoders or anything was made at my end.

Last edited by CJPR; 21st January 2017 at 18:38.
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 18:26   #8
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

yep reconnecting the source fixed it.
Old 21st January 2017, 20:21   #9
RadioFreak84

Well, still there should be a fix on Shoutcast.com's end.

Reason being is having to wait for everyone to do that or for a possible random disconnection to occur to fix the entire structure of the directory!

Not everyone reads this forum.
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:46   #10
CJPR

Looks like it has happened again. My station was just switched to Trance genre.
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 00:04   #11
RadioFreak84

Yeah. Now everything is Trance today so the hard working people who had the leading Trance stations can lose their rank! Ridiculous! Is it really so hard to fix?!
Old 24th January 2017, 02:36   #12
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFreak84 View Post
Is it really so hard to fix?!
How would you fix it?

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 07:11   #13
RadioFreak84

????? It's broken on Shoutcast's end. Therefore, I can not fix it -- Shoutcast needs to fix it.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:55   #14
RadioFreak84

Directory Still Broken

Over the weekend, almost the entire directory Genres shifted from Trance to Latin and now most every station is listed under Latin. This has been on-going now for 2+ weeks.

I know it was said that the engineers over at ShoutCAST are aware of this. So, is anyone working towards a fix?
Old 30th January 2017, 11:33   #15
Remus65

I have my own internet radio station. The stream genre of the source is Ambient. When the shoutcast directory is "touched", the radio station is listed correctly in the right genre. But after a while the original genre changes to another damn one (Country, Latin, News, etc). So, the listeners will never find your radio station in the same original genre. They will never find your station. The only way is to write the radio station name in "search" and click the "search" button. That kills dramaticaly the audience. Can anybody anounce this bug to the Shoutcast directory administrator? Can anybody fix this bug. Shoutcast directory changes the original genre to another damn one!!!
Remus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 12:50   #16
RadioFreak84

My point exactly!

>> So, the listeners will never find your radio station in the same original genre. They will never find your station.

My point exactly! Without staying under the genre that your station should be -- NOBODY is going to find it!!! I have seen my numbers go way down since this is going on.

Shoutcast has thousands of radio stations listed and without having your station be under the genre it should be under, it's like looking for a needle in haystack! Furthermore, you can't gain any NEW listeners either. Think about it, someone looking for a Country station and you station is listed under Latin or News when it's actually Country...it's NOT going to be found.

Not only is it bad for broadcasters, but it's just a mess for Shoutcast.com - Nobody's going to want to use a broken website and eventually people will just stop bothering with Shoutcast.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:12   #17
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Quote:
Not only is it bad for broadcasters, but it's just a mess for Shoutcast.com - Nobody's going to want to use a broken website and eventually people will just stop bothering with Shoutcast.
I thought people already had... Sites like Tune In are where most people find radio stations these days.
Old 30th January 2017, 15:25   #18
RadioFreak84

Shoutcast still has a lot of traffic!

Don't kid yourself...Shoutcast is still a very popular radio directory.

Stats from ALEXA:

Rank
shoutcast.com
Shoutcast - Free Music Streaming Worldwide - Over 55,000 Stations to choose from

Global 28,121
Alexa Traffic Rank

United States 21,436
Traffic Rank in US

Although, if they don't fix it, I can see their rank falling off very quickly.
I don't know if they give a damn or not. But if it were my site and I had that decent of an Alexa rank, I'd do something to fix it VERY QUICK!
Old 30th January 2017, 15:34   #19
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Traffic to a website is one thing how many of them actually tuned into a station?

A station I worked for had lots of traffic to their website sadly it never equated to listeners... Online listeners are fickle these days anyway esp when you have sites such as Pandora and Spotify etc...

Who's Alexa when she's at home anyway?
Old 30th January 2017, 17:06   #20
RadioFreak84

That can be true.

But, I for one have noticed my numbers off by 150 to 200 listeners since this problem began. I guess it depends on where you normally rank under a genre that determines the affect.

I ranked normal at #1 or #2 under respective genre.

Those farther down the list probably feel minimum (if any) impact.

Overall, no matter what the scenario it's just not good business to have a broken site.
Old 30th January 2017, 19:43   #21
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

just "unsupported" v1 stations -- i wouldn't expect a fix, especially a quick one - probably the beginning of the end of the v1's reign in the directory... they said it was coming.
Old 30th January 2017, 20:03   #22
RadioFreak84

It's not just v1. I'm not using v1.
Old 31st January 2017, 10:17   #23
LondonRadio

Shoutcast takes soooo long to fix issues - doesn't deserve to be considered a creditable dictionary in today's radio listening - shame. Come guys this has been going on for weeks ! Please us out.
LondonRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 00:33   #24
RadioFreak84

1 Month - Still Broken!

I don't think they have the technical knowledge to even fix this issue. They've fired all the people that knew anything!
Old 12th February 2017, 20:09   #25
DJ_WhoKnows

Is SHOUTCast / Radionomy going to seriously fix the broken directory it's ridiculous when your business is Internet Radio and the radio directory is broken.

People rely on SHOUTCast Internet Radio Directory as a Internet Radio business to be correct!
DJ_WhoKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 04:33   #26
jaromanda
Forum King

You get what you pay for

So I did
Old 20th February 2017, 20:43   #27
DJ_WhoKnows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
You get what you pay for
@jaromanda So are you saying this is a server issues and not a ShoutCast issue? Just so I am clear.
Old 20th February 2017, 21:28   #28
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

a SHOUTcast directory issue -- still not fixed.

nothing to do on your DNAS server but kick the source and let it reconnect to "fix" the false genre.
Old 21st February 2017, 08:33   #29
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_WhoKnows View Post
@jaromanda So are you saying this is a server issues and not a ShoutCast issue? Just so I am clear.
No, I'm saying you get what you pay for ... crappy DNAS, crappy directory, crappy support

So I did
Old 21st February 2017, 13:48   #30
DJ_WhoKnows

@jaromanda Ok gotcha! lol
Old 21st February 2017, 13:50   #31
DJ_WhoKnows

And yes @djSpinnerCee resetting the server put your station back into the correct genre for a little bit, but then eventually floats off into never never land of genres.

How weird! SMH
Old 21st February 2017, 17:41   #32
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

yep @dj_whoknows - consider it a workaround until...
Old 28th February 2017, 04:29   #33
RadioFreak84

Bug Was Fixed For 2 Days

Last week there were two to three days when all of Shoutcast.com was working correctly. All stations were listed under the correct genres. Then over the past weekend, it reverted back to the mess it's been. Now it's back to being broken and 1000's of stations not listed under the genre they should be.

What's the point? It's apparent Shoutcast can fix this issue any time they wish. It was proven last week. The entire site was working properly for more than 48 hours!
Suddenly, it's broken again after 2+ days of working correctly? For some reason, it appears that Shoutcast WANTS to INTENTIONALLY have their site mismanaging the genres. That's really f'd up!
Old 7th March 2017, 17:43   #34
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

v1 stations gone

today, my v1 servers disappeared from the directory - tried to drop and reconnect source.... everything looked ok, visit from the directory tester, ...added successfully... but, the stations do not appear. no errors in dnas log.
Old 8th March 2017, 07:53   #35
Remus65

There is a conspiracy

Quote:
Last week there were two to three days when all of Shoutcast.com was working correctly. All stations were listed under the correct genres. Then over the past weekend, it reverted back to the mess it's been. Now it's back to being broken and 1000's of stations not listed under the genre they should be.

What's the point? It's apparent Shoutcast can fix this issue any time they wish. It was proven last week. The entire site was working properly for more than 48 hours!
Suddenly, it's broken again after 2+ days of working correctly? For some reason, it appears that Shoutcast WANTS to INTENTIONALLY have their site mismanaging the genres. That's really f'd up!
I also belive that there is a conspiracy! It is just simple to rewrite the entire soft. Throw away the shit. The situation lasts for monts. Now some stations cannot be find at all, even in search section !!! It's ridiculous. Shoutcast is completly dead. Stations not listed at all. Not under the wrong genre, NOT LISTED AT ALL!!!

Last edited by Remus65; 8th March 2017 at 10:39.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:03   #36
Remus65

0 results in search

Now the problem is not the wrong genre. Worst, 0 results in search section. Stations cannot be find at all. What's the utility for a such Directory? I started to periodicaly announce the listeners to "search", to type the name of the station in the search section. Now all is in vain. The people will consider that's a lie.
Old 10th March 2017, 15:37   #37
DJ_WhoKnows

Station May or May not appear in 3rd party SC Directory, but Not In SC Directory

Ok, so this makes no sense my station doesn't appear at Shoutcast.com site,but will appear on 3rd party mobile device applications such as RADIO TUNER that takes SC directory list and applies it to the app. That's all radio tuner app does. It's basically the SC directory in the app and that's it.

This makes no sense at all. I advise other people download the radio tuner app see if you see your station in the correct genre after a reset of server.

It will stay for sometime then disappear when it wants

Then check SC website see if you see your station is listed.

radio tuner has the SC directory in the app so it makes not sense.

What is going on at shoutcast?

I will provided screen shots later.

Also how come some stations it does not affect. Is shoutcast/radionomy tweaking the back end in radionomy's favor or being biased towards certain stations? Looks like it is, but I can't confirm, but fishy all the problems with SC.

It is a legit question to be asked and answered.

I have worked with radionomy and have seen weird issues like this.

Make no sense for internet radio company to not fix there listings when that is your exact business.

Also when it's listed in 3rd party app i can search for my station name and find it in the SC directory of the application, but on desktop SC website I search and can't find my station. Again makes no damn sense SC!

Do you think Pandora and Spotifiy have genre listing issues HELL NO! Fix It!
Old 10th March 2017, 16:50   #38
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_WhoKnows View Post
What is going on at shoutcast?

Also how come some stations it does not affect. Is shoutcast/radionomy tweaking the back end in radionomy's favor or being biased towards certain stations? Looks like it is, but I can't confirm, but fishy all the problems with SC.
It appears its stations using Shoutcast DNAS that have been kicked off the directory due to Radionomy wanting to retire that version of the DNAS v1.9.8 stations I used to tune into are gone. Good job I saved the .pls files etc...

I warned people that this was likely to happen at some point on my blog last year
Old 10th March 2017, 16:58   #39
DJ_WhoKnows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Garybaldy View Post
It appears its stations using Shoutcast DNAS that have been kicked off the directory due to Radionomy wanting to retire that version of the DNAS v1.9.8 stations I used to tune into are gone. Good job I saved the .pls files etc...

I warned people that this was likely to happen at some point on my blog last year
Well I am using an Icecast2 server that ports it to SC and I am I am not using auto DJ either.

Can the problem not be fixed? Doesn't make sense for a whole industry that uses
Shoutcast server to have this type of issue for this long.
Old 10th March 2017, 17:37   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Bugs...issues....experimenting.....proposed/attempted fixes.... loop ad infinitum....

We've no intention to remove any valid/active stations.

Of course, we'd prefer everyone to be using the truly wonderful DNAS v2.5.1.724, which would also ensure that your station has an authhash and is therefore listed under the correct specified official genre......
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support