Old 22nd October 2022, 00:11   #1
Calvaria

Problem with xml file produced by Export Media Database

Hi,

Export Media Database in Media Library creates xml files, where paths look like this:

file://localhost/D:%5CMUSIC%5C1%20CURRENT%5C

with these percentage things instead of spaces, slashes, commas, maybe some other stuff (this occurs only in paths).
Also in other fields it replaces ' with ' and quotes with "

Why is this?
I have Nullsoft Database Import\Export v.2.64 plugin, Winamp 5.666
Calvaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2022, 00:57   #2
musicf8
Major Dude

This is common for html/XML addressing, %20 is a space and %5C would be \ which that html/XML addressing cannot handle those characters directly since they would mess up the source code. This goes the same with &apos, etc.

Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2022, 02:32   #3
Calvaria

But database export into xml is supposed to be for the purposes of modifying the paths of music files when moving the files from one location to the other, so that playcount and other stuff is not lost. And this problem makes changing (especially long) paths rather difficult and error-prone. The accounts of people who did this don't mention any such problems. How do they manage, maybe there is another export plugin without these issues? XML files by themselves don't have this problem as far as I know, this is a problem with the plugin. So I wonder why and how to get around this issue.
Calvaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2022, 00:03   #4
musicf8
Major Dude

My guess they probably just substituted the change. So suppose you want to change the directory from D:\MUSIC\ to E:\Old Music\ you would just do a replace (in notepad++ for example) for D:%5CMUSIC%5C to E:%5COld%20Music%5C or similar.

While true that XML itself doesn't have this issue for single spaces and slashes, the fact that the database tool uses file:// to reference the location is most likely the reason why it converts them (instead of referencing the path directly).

You might be able to find a different import/export plugin on the winampheritage.com site

Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support