Old 21st June 2004, 22:12   #1
Drooling Dog

Volume Boost Plugin?

Does anyone know of a plug-in (for WA 5.01) that boosts the volume?

I used MP3 Gain to lower the volume of all my MP3s to the same level, so all my music is significantly quieter than other sound files on my computer. So when I listen to music and get Email, Outlook's mail notification sound is really loud.

Thanks.
Drooling Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 22:22   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Just turn up the volume in Winamp to the max. Then use the preamp in the Equalizer (the leftmost slider) and push it up to the top.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 22:32   #3
Drooling Dog

That'll do. Thanks!
Drooling Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 18:15   #4
Ikarus7

is there a plug which can boost the volume automatically to a vertain level ? i sometimes have songs which are recorded louder, other ones are more silent. is there an automatic-normalize- dsp plugin or something ?
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 18:33   #5
mikm
Major Dude

Its best to do them all at once. I recommend MP3Gain, as it normalizes it losslessly.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:40   #6
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
Quote:
Originally posted by m²k
Its best to do them all at once. I recommend MP3Gain, as it normalizes it losslessly.
lossless? If I higher the volume to a value over 150db (f.ex. 200) and normalize it back to a normal value (95db) the file is corrupt. same on lovering the volume to extrem low values.

So, I don't know if mp3Gain is really lossless, because these extreme values makes the file audible corrupt.

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2004, 16:40   #7
DeLiRiUmLB

it is lossless

Actually, yes it is lossless. It alters the mp3 frames inside the mp3 file without re-encoding the file. If you dont believe me download it and check out the Concepts section of the help file, its explained in detail there.

I also use mp3 gain to normalize all my mp3 files. I normalize down to 96.0. I used to do 92.0 but that was way too quiet. So I did a little testing and I found that 96.0 is the best compromise for my mp3s, they play at a nice volume without clipping. And yes, thats the main reason I think that people use mp3 gain, because you may not realize it, but most mp3 files are 'clipped' in the mp3 player because the volume is too high. This usually comes out as a loud screeching noise, although not noticeable all the time, but if you normalize with mp3 gain and do some comparative listening you will tell the difference.

edit: I forgot to add that I don't know of any gain plugins availble for winamp, nor have I looked. I used to use the preamp but that distorts the output. So now if the volume is too low I just turn the volume up on my stereo (I have my computer hooked into an aiwa sound system).
DeLiRiUmLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2004, 17:33   #8
siebe83
Forum King

What about SqrSoft Limiter?
It normalizes on the fly (DSP Plugin), so louder parts of songs will be played back softer, and soft parts louder.

I prefer MP3Gain myself...

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2004, 18:13   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Unlike replaygain/mp3gain a limiter destroys dynamics or what little is left of it on today's CDs.

in_mpg123 has replaygain support, as have in_vorbis and in_mpc.

Clipping is actually the most common mp3 decoder problem, or in fact the only time different compliant decoders actually do sound different.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion