Old 28th October 2005, 00:28   #1
magoood

Send a message via Yahoo to magoood
Playing audio ASF files in Winamp 5.1

I can play audio ASF files with no problem coz i have the codec but they r played in Media Player Classic. Since i am neat and organized, i use Winamp 4 all audio playback and Media Player Classic 4 Video so how can i make Winamp playback asf files instead of Media Player Classic?. I tried this and winamp does not want 2 play any ASF files at all.
magoood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 02:06   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Rename the audio-only files to *.wma instead of *.asf

Other than that, video support (DirectShow Decoder - in_dshow.dll) is required for .asf support, and ASF needs to be listed in its Extension List (Prefs > Plugins > Input > in_dshow > config). Plus, for in_dshow to support ASF/WMV (even if those extensions are listed in the config) you need to have the relevant/required Windows Media DirectShow filters installed on your system (it depends on the actual encoding as to whether you need v7, v8, v9, or v10 ds filters).

If the problem persists, include Windows OS, DirectX version, Windows Media Player version, and any other relevant system specs/info in your reply.

btw, the latest version is 5.111 (so you need to upgrade from 5.1, heh).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 15:02   #3
magoood

Thx 4 the reply but i am afraid i did not find anything relevant 2 what i should have done (according 2 yr instructions in the options) as can been seen in the shot below:

Here r more system specs:
Windows Media Player: NONE! (ditched it with XPlite) but i still have all necessary codex
DirectX version: 9.0c
RAM: 512 MB DDR 333MHz
CPU: Athlon 2600+ Barton core
Thanks!
Old 28th October 2005, 15:18   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow.dll) isn't listed, probably because you unchecked support for video in the installer options.

Either reinstall with video support, or change the file extension for the audio-only .asf files to .wma (this will make the WMA Input plugin handle the files instead).

It would also appear that you are using an old version of Winamp 5.
Most of the default input plugins in your screenshot are old versions.
The latest and only supported version of Winamp is 5.111
Old 28th October 2005, 15:29   #5
magoood

How come i am using an older version ? It's version 5.1 Which is not very old indeed. Will d/l and install 5.111 later but right now, will test the trick of renaming the files 2 wma and will post back with results
Old 28th October 2005, 15:34   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Please see the list of bugs fixed since v5.1
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=156839#511
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=156839#50x
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=159785

Yes, if you insist on not installing video support, then the only way to get those audio-only .asf files to play in Winamp is to rename them to .wma
Old 28th October 2005, 16:04   #7
magoood

Yes yr suggestion did the trick and i was able 2 play 'em in winamp when i changed extension from asf--->wma. Yes, i did not install video support coz i won't use Winamp 2 play videos coz i believe that the supported video extensions it supports is not enough so i use it 4 all kind of audio ONLY. Gonna upgrade 2 v5.111 now...
THANKS A LOT
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support