Old 13th November 2012, 20:52   #1
emueyes

Display of titles in Playlist editor

I hope that this is an appropriate forum in which to pose this question, apologies and please advice if not.

The winamp playlist editor allows flexible title formatting within its metadata reading page, and also has a few options determining when that format is applied, for example when files are loaded, when they are played, or played and viewed, etc, but I can't get this to take effect properly.

At the moment I have a single string %title%, and would like that to be displayed in the Playlist view when a playlist is loaded. What I get is that the artist and title appear when a playlist is loaded, then as a track is played the artist disappears and only the title remains.

I also have an issue with the tracklength being displayed both on the playlist and on the main window title bar - duplicating info looks messy, and doesn't seem to have any setting at all. The tracknumber, thankfully, is easier to manage.

I've tried this with quite a few skins, they all behave the same way. I'm using Winamp 5.63 x86. It's certainly not a big deal. I use the Gaia 10 skin atm, and my preferences lean toward minimalistic as can probably be guessed at. I figure though, that even if it isn't a major issue, that people - including myself - go to a lot of effort getting something as important as a music hub to be just right, so I'll make sure it's exactly what I want. This coiuld all be made much clearer in explanation with one tiny jpg, if there's need I can speedily post one.

TIA for any help on this
emueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 21:50   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

When you load a playlist into the playlist editor, you will see the info that was saved in the playlist. When you start to play the list, the files are loaded from your storage drive and the title instructions that you setup are followed at that point. I agree that some of those load before play options do not seem to work or take some time to kick in. If you load a file directly from your storage drive to the playlist editor, the title instructions that you setup are followed.

The skins you have tried are displaying the track length in multiple spaces because they are probably modern all-in-one skins (like Big Bento). Other skins (classic style and cPro skins that combine features of the modern and classic styles) allow windows (e.g. the playlist editor, media library, video, etc.) to be closed when you don't need them. Using one of these skins (with all the other windows closed) would allow the track length to only be displayed in the main player.

Winamp v5.9.1.10023 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 23:03   #3
ujay
Forum King

I'm not a user of playlists, so offer the following observations :

The Metadata Reading options don't seem to be working as they should

As already pointed out, loading a playlist also loads the Extended Info it contains. Winamp should then carry out the metadata reading option of choice and convert to ATF format.

Everything seems to work OK if you fool Winamp into thinking there is no extended info in the playlist, (remove the #EXTM3U line from the playlist and the metadata reading proceeds as it should).

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 00:46   #4
emueyes

OK, I've now tried a playlist with no extended info, and it loads just the track name, not the artist, and looks a lot cleaner too. Excellent. That playlist contained only tracknames, made with dir /b and a little editing.

However, the playtime still appears in the playlist and in the titlebar with the trackname. I've tried different skins like the c_Pro_minimal_1_1_1_1 for example, yep I can hide the playlist window to stop it displaying the playtime, but that's a bit of an extreme way of doing it As a BTW the cPro_minimal is kinda nice, I'm looking for a clear Metro/Modern type skin, and that almost works properly. The Gaia skinj I'm using can hide its playlist too, and is even more minimal.

I also tried the pls playlist format offered by winamp: it contains even more metadata that ends up in the playlist.

I'm surprised no one has picked this up before, or that it hasn't been fixed. Track metadata, and album art is important, but not displayed all over the place. I've spent a lot of time on getting consistent and complete data, I sure don't want it annoying me

@ujay how do you play albums with no playlist?
Old 14th November 2012, 02:28   #5
ujay
Forum King

There has always been a problem with interpreting duration from file metadata, in some cases there just isn't any and the only sensible way of handling this is to calculte it independently.
This is not classed as metadata in the same way that other fields are and falls outside the immediate scope of ATF. ***
So it's hard coded to always show right justified in the playlist. Basically that's how Winamp has evolved over the years.

I'm a little surprised this has slipped by too, maybe people play more from the Media Library rather than playlists these days, I haven't used them for years now.

Any album not in the ML can be loaded via drag and drop from Windows Explorer, or more often from the Desktop, if it's not already been added to the ML.

*** ATF does have a %length% field, but as far as I can make out this only becomes available in ATF when the file is actually played.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 03:41   #6
emueyes

Yeah, using the Library is the way to go, and ultimately I will. The Android integration seems very nice and that's important to me, but still..

I've been searching around for hours, and found this same question asked back as far as 2003 - with the same conclusion, that it is hardcoded into Winamp and isn't user serviceable.

Persistence sometimes pays off though. I found a page stating that by using an extended playlist, and making the duration in seconds a negative number, Winamp will ignore it and display nothing in the duration column of a playlist. Tried it, it works. Wow.

Here's the page with that little gem http://www.scvi.net/pls.htm

The duration still appears in the title bar of the main window, that's fine by me.

The issue of miscalculating duration for VBR files seems to pop up a lot, too. Poke at most things hard enough and you risk letting the biting bugs out I guess.

Now, I have about 700 m3u files, all meticulously crafted and correct. Time for some text manipulation to make copies with negative times... I just knew I shoulda learned Perl by now
Old 14th November 2012, 04:48   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
miscalculating VBR files? or are the files themselves incorrect? meaning, if the files have bad headers and so on, the problem is the files themselves, not winamps. garbage in, garbage out.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 05:34   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi emueyes,

As a long time user, I've seen the repeated use of stuff in the UI done a lot and that is not really a bug, imo. Winamp is definitely the media player with a personality. It's adaptability is why I like using it. Most of this is due to it's architecture that allows plug-ins and UI skins (written by anyone) to be used. Also, Winamp is over 15 years old and has been maintained by a lot of different people, so maintaining consistency over how UI elements are used has not been a top priority.

For example, the skin I'm using can be setup to display albumart for the playing track in 2 to 4 different places at the same time! Definitely overkill, but it made sense to the skin's designer. I've modified the skin to remove the small albumart image that was displayed in the main player, so that now I can set the skin up to display 1 image or no image.

Thanks for finding and sharing the info on using a negative value for song length in playlists. That does keep the length from being displayed in the playlist editor when the list is loaded. But the lengths are still displayed when the songs are played. In the end the length is still shown, so seems to me a lot of playlist editing for nothing.

Since the song length is displayed right justified, another way to keep from seeing it in the playlist editor when songs are played is to make sure it will not fit in the available window space. One way to do this is to use an ATF title string that pads enough blank spaces to the end of the title to ensure the song length would be displayed to far to the right to be seen in the window.

The incorrect display of VBR song file length is not a Winamp bug. This is due to an incorrect header in the file. There are various free apps available to fix these bad headers.

Keep poking Winamp and sharing your experiences with us.

Old 14th November 2012, 05:57   #9
emueyes

I hadn't got as far as seeing the durations return after playing, ah well. It's still a beautiful piece of voodoo usage. I'm glad I hadn't started making changes to the playlists though! I'll use the padding technique then. I had looked at columns available at the outset and there seemed to be little control over them. Neat idea overflowing them.

It may well be that I misinterpreted the run length thing for VBR, I was trying to get rid of them, not make them accurate and so skipped through the details. I'd thought that info would be in the header, but the question did pop up.

The very best part about being an idiosyncratic piece of software with a lot of history is just that; it has character, the people using it have character, and are willing to listen and to share their experience. And that makes it fun.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:40   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by emueyes View Post
Neat idea overflowing them.
Yeah, just don't enable any options that will adjust the width of the columns to their content. Some people tend to overlook that restriction to this little work-around.

Also, this is the sort of thing that is easy to forget over time. Do what you need to to remember where you use it.

Old 26th November 2012, 01:34   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi emueyes,

As you probably know by now my suggestion to overflow the title field does not prevent the song time length from being displayed in the Playlist Editor window. The title is truncated so that the time is still displayed on the right.

I guess this behavior has been hard coded. So it's back to looking for some other way around this. If I come up with something that does work, I'll post back.

Sorry for the bogus suggestion.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support