Old 8th September 2001, 11:52   #1
Maddog74

Mp3 playback in Windows XP

I installed Windows XP, and have problems with mp3 playback. Wav and cds are fine. But when I play mp3s with winamp or media player 8 or sonique, I get a distorted sound. I would suspect a bad codec or something, but how would I go about fixing that? Thanks.
Maddog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2001, 14:56   #2
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Install the Radium MP3 codec on WinXP, then exit WinXP and delete L3CODECA.ACM from WinXP's system folder, but leave L3CODECP.ACM as it is; L3CODECP.ACM is the Radium MP3 codec.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2001, 19:05   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I don't recommend just deleting the codec, you'll probably get some error message on bootup that a file is missing.

You should either disable it via Multimedia Control Panel -> Devices
Audio Codecs -> Fraunhofer MP3 Advanced -> Properties -> check : do not use

Or remove it totally by clicking the "remove" button.

Then check L3CODECA.ACM is no longer referred to in the system.ini file,
under [drivers32] section.

However, more than likely the problem is being caused by your soundcard drivers. It's possible that there aren't any fully compatible drivers yet for your soundcard under WinXP. Check the manufacturer's website for any latest releases.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2001, 19:17   #4
Maddog74

I'll try the radium codecs and disabling the other one first. As for the sound drivers, I'm using a soundblaster live card, and the default windows xp drivers, so they shouldn't be bad. Plus wav sounds are normal sounding and wm files...just mp3s.
Old 8th September 2001, 19:41   #5
Maddog74

I installed the radium codec and disabled the old one. And no affect. However, if I turn down my hardware acceleration to 0, and then use the directsound plugin, I get a much better sound. Not as good as it should be, but not distorted garbage either. It's sort of a hacked up solution to get me by, there's got to be something to get it work properly. Maybe it is the audio drivers...Microsoft has already updated the Live driver once, and XP isn't even officially out yet.
Old 8th September 2001, 20:16   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just a wild shot, but I don't suppose you've installed PlayCenter2 off the SBLive CD-ROM by any chance? If so, goto the Winamp\Plugins dir and remove gen_nomad.dll
Even if you haven't installed it, check to see if it's there anyway.
More info about this silently installed evil plugin c/o
The Official 3rd-party Plugin Buglist

It definitely sounds like a soundcard driver issue to me.

I can't think of anything else at the mo?
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2001, 20:20   #7
Maddog74

I'll check it out, but I learnt my lesson. I installed the creative drivers and live software into Windows XP already, despite the warning Windows gave me...I had to format and reinstall from scratch. So I have not installed anything from creative and will not until they have official support for XP.
Old 8th September 2001, 21:29   #8
Maddog74

Well I fixed my problem...trying the last resort of the desparate, I moved the card to a new slot. Works like a charm now. It was in the old slot through various incarnations of 98, Me, and 2000 with no problem....oh well. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support