Old 12th May 2002, 04:38   #1
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Odes to ignorance

I pretty much like people, but when you work in the service industry (or hang out on the net) you come across all types. I just remembered an interesting anecdote from when I was working in a bookstore in New York a couple of years ago.

A woman came in looking to buy a Shakespeare play her daughter was supposed to read for school. I asked her which play and her response was, "I'm not sure. What's his most recent?"

"He doesn't have a recent play, per se. He's been dead for quite some time," I replied.

"No he's not," she said. "He was in that movie last year."

"No, actually he's been dead for a few hundred years," I said. "He's never been in a movie."

Rather than admit she may have been mistaken the woman insisted that Shakespeare was alive and well, and starting a movie career.

Let's hear your Tales of Ignorance.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 04:51   #2
Huehuetenango
Forum King

a friend told me this one
he worked at a book store, and a woman came in looking for a book about a certain dinosaur for her son
she couldn't remember the name, and my friend spent half an hour finding every dinosaur book he could, but she still couldn't identify which dinosaur she need
finally she calls her son (don't ask me why she didn't do this in the first place) and asks
he had asked her to buy him a thesaurus
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 05:07   #3
YaPoNDeeZzZzz..

Send a message via AIM to YaPoNDeeZzZzz..
Hahahaha

damn u guys come across some stupid people lol
YaPoNDeeZzZzz.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 06:46   #4
BMWboy

I work at a WaWa, a small convience store/deli. we sell small apple pies that are brought out of the frezzer, heated, and put on display. so we know when to remove the pies(becaues they have been sitting there too long) we put the day and time that the pies must be removed. this day happened to be the 5th. a lady (about 45) comes through with her items, looks at the pies, and decides she wants one. so I ring it up(the price is 65 cents), and she immedatly tells me the price is wrong. "the price is 5 cents. it says so on the pie." i told her that that is the date code that tells me when the pies go out of code. she insists that it is not the date code, and that it is 5 cents. at this time, she points at the display case, and says I got this from over there, all of them are marked 5 cents. now, there is a rather large sign on top of the display case, right at eye-level that states "apple pie 65 cents." At this point, I got angry. In the front of the counter, we have a series of small trays that have candy i them that sells for 5 cents apiece. I reach in to one of the bins, pull out a lollypop, hold it up infront of her face and say "this is a lollypop, it is about .1 ounce. that pie is about 5 ounces. this lollypop costs 5 cents. how much do you think the pie costs?" she says "5 cents." at this point, some of the coustomers in line behind her start laughing at her utter stupidy. finally, I call my manage over, and tell her what is going on. she then describes in great detail exactly what the sticke that said mar. 5 3:30pm meant. the lady finally gives up, and tells me to take the pie of her bill, because "65 cents for at pie is too damn much." instead she bought a small candy bar(about 2 ounces). the cost of the candy bar: 65 cents.
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 09:37   #5
apollos
Forum King

he he. this is funny. I have come across people like that in my short time on this earth. When I'm wrong I remain ignorant and change the subject to avoid embarrasment

And when other people are so blantantly wrong I enjoy showing the evidence to them. This doesn't happen often though.

apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 14:59   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I've got several tales of ignorance!

I use to be a moderator at these one forums Winamp had set up and this one time.......
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 15:34   #7
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
I used to work at a McDonald's store. I worked closing shift in the drive-thru. One night, instead of ordering at the speaker, a car full of young ladies drives up to the window. They ask me a few questions (trying to get some free food.) They explained to me they only had an 8th of weed. I said, "Well, what would you be wanting in trade for the weed?" They explained their order to me as I added it up in my head. I said, "Sure I'll have the cook right on it." I explained to my manager(he's a smoker too) what these girls wanted. Sure enough, they drove off happy ass hell with 8 dollars in McDonald's proccessed crap anbd traded a very good 20 dollar bag for. We were a very happy crew that night.

I conned this kid on Aol into downloading a trojan I had. He was pissing me off so I bombed his e-mail just for fun. He got all scared and asked how I did it. I told him it was this trojan that I created. It allowed me to bypass Aol's security, I told him. He happily d/l'd it from me. Needless to say, his aol account was mysteriously cancled.

-~MrMagick~-
MrMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 15:38   #8
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I guess I'm trying to figure out the ignorance there
Old 12th May 2002, 15:45   #9
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
I guess I'm trying to figure out the ignorance there
OK, uhh which part? The McDonald's story? or the dumbass aol kiddie? The first story explains the idiocy of the girls trade. The second story explains the idiocy of the kid believing that I created a trojan which was perfectly safe to download. To me, both stories show great ignorance.

-~MrMagick~-
Old 12th May 2002, 16:22   #10
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I once heard a guy say "If smoking a ciggarette is supposed to take 5 minutes off your life, and it takes 10 minutes to smoke it, wont you live longer??"
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 20:59   #11
apollos
Forum King

I remebered one!
I told Vie not long ago that the Buffy spin off is called "Ripper" but he didn't believe me.
I told him that the official Buffy magazine confirmed the name was "Ripper" and not "The Watcher" and also many other people who are also Buffy fans also confirmed the name being "Ripper"

Later on that day in IT I showed him evdence of thee name of the show but he still insisted it was called "The Watcher".

Well Vie, HERE IS THE EVIDENCE FROM THE OFFICIAL BUFFY MAGAZINE!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/andrewisinatlantis/PROOF.txt

Sorry, I hate rubbing in my me being right!

p.s. Im sorry the quality sucks. It sucks cos B: I put it on the quick setting and B: cos I had to save the file in shyte quality so it wouldnt be more than 400k!

Oh, what was that about a £10 bet Vie!??
Old 12th May 2002, 21:48   #12
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

As I said a mere hours ago, USE your graphics program(everyone has one) and shrink that crap down before you post it here
Old 12th May 2002, 22:47   #13
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
its like talking to a brick wall isnt it

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 22:50   #14
dylman
Forum King

I know a lot of people here will already know and love this site, but this is damn funny...

Computer Stupidities

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 22:55   #15
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

An Ode to Ignorance eh?

Bilbo Baggins

Now that is some ignoramous
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 22:59   #16
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
As I said a mere hours ago, USE your graphics program(everyone has one) and shrink that crap down before you post it here
LOL! Chev, I made the picture smaller but for some reason the writing became illegible!

Next time i'll slim the image down! SORRY!

Old 13th May 2002, 09:23   #17
MrMagick
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
An Ode to Ignorance eh?

Bilbo Baggins

Now that is some ignoramous
You're too hard on yourself Bilbo.

-~MrMagick~-
Old 13th May 2002, 10:01   #18
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Heyyy, I ain't that big yet! I still got a few weeks of the treatment
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2002, 10:42   #19
KiwiFreak
Major Dude

I have a story...a mate was trying to pick up this girl and once I went to his place and he was chatting on the phone to her, I went into the next room and picked up the other phone, pressed one of the buttons so the phone made a tone then started talking...I pretended that I was from the phone company and that I was suspending service to this girl because of the erotic nature of the phone call, at first she wasn't sure so I told her she would have a minute to finish the call and then I would disconnect it, a minute later I had my mate hang up mid sentence...I then called this girl back and explained to her that Telecom would be seeking legal advise under section 73.8 of the telecomunations act...she brought the whole thing and me & my mate could barely stop laughing

If you think you can or think you can't...you're right.
KiwiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2002, 12:48   #20
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Fixed
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2002, 12:54   #21
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer

Fixed
Like good housepet
Old 13th May 2002, 12:55   #22
Twilightseer