Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 19:06   #41
Franky_B

Fullscreen AVS still not works. It kills Winamp, when loading new presets, like in 5.51. Overwrite with the old vis_avs.dll (2.81d) and the Problem is gone.

Clean Install!
Old 19th May 2009, 19:17   #42
DrO

that's because there has been nothing done to avs in the 0.001 update releases (which have both been security only updates). as/when an update/fix is made then it would be listed in the changelog for that release.

-daz
Old 21st May 2009, 23:47   #43
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
Send a message via Yahoo to jon_joy_1999
bug as described here. [includes attachment]
Winamp 5.5.2.2460
Winamp Classic
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Acer Aspire 8920
Intel Core2 Duo 2.50 GHz
4 GB RAM,
NVidia GeForce 9500M GS 7.15.11.7561
Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.5582
DirectX 10
AVS 2.82 (this problem doesn't happen with AVS 2.82 pre .2460)

Old 7th June 2009, 00:37   #44
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
Bug with winamp MOD plugin.

Winamp v5.552 x86 Apr 10 2009
Windows XP Home SP3
I'm using the Big Bento skin.

Plugins in use:
Input:
- Bundled NullSoft Plugins
- Monkey's Audio Player v4.04
- GC Stream Player v0.23 beta 4
- NEZplug v0.9.4.8
- Alpha-II SPC Player v3.2
- Winamp TV
- 64th Note v1.2 beta
Output (Selected only):
- Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.49 (d)
Visualization (Started only):
- none
DSP/Effect (Selected only):
- none
General:
- Advanced mIRC Integration Plug-In v2.53
Media Library:

Winamp can play this file fine, but when you try to add it to the media library, Winamp will crash.

I have tested this two ways.

1) Download this file somewhere.
2) File > Add media to library
3) Select the folder with the s3m file in it, or any ancestor folder.
4) Winamp will crash at the stage where it is reading file meta data and adding individual files to the library.

1) Download this file somewhere.
1) Check "Automatically add played files" in Options > Media Library > Local Media > Watch Folders.
2) Play the s3m file and Winamp will crash.
3) Uncheck the above option and Winamp will no longer crash when it plays the file.

Perhaps it is crashing when it's reading the file meta data, but Winamp seems to read the same data fine for track info display in the player, for the playlist, and for the file info dialog.

Side notes:

Note #1: The s3m file is 747 bytes over the attach limit when 7zipped. Thus I had to host it myself.

Note #2: I am also have more sporadic crashes and fatal errors when adding module-type media to the library (it, xm, mod, s3m, etc files) and I cannot limit these to a specific file. Sometimes the crash will occur AFTER the media import operation while I am trying to search my library, for example. Other times it will manifest as an out of memory dialog (when I'm not out of memory) or a standard runtime "invalid access" dialog (The code at 0xblahblah attempted to access memory at 0xblahblah, press OK to quit or cancel to debug). I think it's a problem with the MOD-type files plugin for Winamp since at least one of the dialogs mentions it. Unfortunately because of the random nature of these crashes I can't be more helpful.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:59   #45
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The_Mega_ZZTer:

That nasty .s3m crash, when trying to scan the files in the library is a known issue. Some .s3m files also crash, when you try to play them (I guess it depends on the meta data reading options for the playlist)

I reported this crash bug a while ago to the beta list and it's partially fixed.

But some .s3m files still crash, when you try to play them/add them to the library, though.

Hopefully it will be fixed for 5.56, adding the complete modarchive isn't possible at the moment, because of this damn crash bug.

[Edit]

Just saw, that this bug is already listed under the Known Winamp bugs thread
Old 24th June 2009, 05:21   #46
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
hey DJ EGG,

u r the greatest by why isn't this thread getting any love???

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=306594

this kid has reported a surefire bonafide BUG w/the ML. i have reproduced it, (and plan to do more testing on it, to see what line is "right" and what other forms it takes).

SO... whats the deal???

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 26th June 2009, 04:03   #47
Nites

Winamp 5.552 I have no third party plug-ins
Skin: All
Windows OS: XP, service pack 3, english
System specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4200+ 2.19GHz, 896 mb ram
Video Card: ATI 8.552.0.0
Sound Card: ATI 5.0.40001.9
DirectX: 9.0c
AVS v2.82

I have AVS set to random with a change in visualization every 30 seconds. When I put it in full screen it would always load the next visualization every 30 seconds with no problem. Since the lastest version of Winamp however when it goes to load the next visualization, AVS freezes. I can close it but if I try to reopen it, it will not open. Then when I try to close Winamp or the song that was playing ends it freezes as well. It only happens when AVS is in full screen. I can reproduce this every time.

Old 28th June 2009, 16:52   #48
DrO

@Nites: from the Known Bugs Thread...
Quote:
Temp Section: 5.55-specific issues/regressions

Some presets don't work or crash with AVS v2.82 (Info)
-daz
Old 2nd July 2009, 20:21   #49
Rhythall

mp3 tag characters changed during sync

Winamp 5.56 (Build 2512)
Language Pack: None
Clean install with no 3rd party plugins
Full install

Locale: English US
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
DirectX 9.0c

Plugin affected: Nullsoft PlaysForSure Plug-in v0.7 [pmp_p4s.dll]

Problem:
When synchronizing mp3 files with a Creative Labs PlaysForSure device (Nomad Zen Xtra or Zomad Zen V Plus), the tags sent to the player are changed for certain songs and those specific songs are not added to their associated playlists. If a second sync is tried the same songs are listed in both the 'songs to be transferred' and 'songs not in local media library' lists.

What's happening is that songs with specific characters in the mp3 ID tag (ID3V2.3) are changed to underscores "_" when synced to the device.

Tag characters:
/ \ : * ? " < > | [ ]

are all changed to _

for example the album tag in the winamp library:
Star Wars - Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
would be changed on the device to:
Star Wars - Episode 1_ The Phantom Menace

other threads describing this issue can be found at:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=277591
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=2533033
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=277546
Old 4th July 2009, 15:42   #50
MidnightLight

Selecting "View File Info" resets MIDI file metadata

Winamp 5.56 (5.5.6.2512)
Skin: Bento (Modern)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
RAM: 4 GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
DirectX: 10
Plugin: not sure, possibly gen_ml v3.26

Problem: Selecting "View File Info" resets MIDI file metadata

Steps:

1. In ML, change the value for one or more metadata fields (e.g. title) for a MIDI file.

2. Highlight the file and press Alt-3 (View File Info).

3. This should (erroneously) cause the previously edited metadata field(s) to be reset to their default values (as if the file was being imported for the first time)
Old 15th July 2009, 15:17   #51
whatthefunk

Nullsoft Playlist Generator crashes while analyzing files

I would love to use the Nullsoft / Gracenote playlist generator but it crashes during the initial Scan. The Scan works for a couple of hours before I get the "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close" error durring the "Analyzing files" step. I've tried several times.

Step-by-step method of reproduction:
I did a clean install with no 3rd party plugins installed, imported songs from iTunes, went into plugin config and started the scan. After a couple of hours it failed during "Step 4/4: Analyzing files. 10097 of 20665 complete..."

Plugin affected/causing the bug: Nullsoft Playlist Generator v1.2 [ml_plg.dll]

System Config:
Winamp 5.5.6.2512 (with no 3rd party plugins)
Windows XP SP3
DirectX 9.0c
Asus K8N motherboard
Integrated ALC850 audio with latest drivers from Asus
AMD athlon 64, 2gb ram
NVidia AGP Video Card

Error signature ----
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.5.6.2512 ModName: nde.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000a6cc

Attached e5e5_appcompat.txt file from the error report
Attached Files
File Type: txt e5e5_appcompat.txt (54.3 KB, 238 views)

Old 15th July 2009, 19:17   #52
MrSinatra
Forum King

have u tried scanning the files directly? ie. not importing the DB from itunes?

it seems the winamp db is failing, thats what nde.dll is i believe.

--
Old 15th July 2009, 19:32   #53
whatthefunk

Yes. The "analyzing files" step also crashed when I tried adding the directory to the Media Library and not importing from iTunes. However it had completed fewer songs when it crashed compared to the library imported from iTunes.

I wonder if a specific song could be causing the crash... and if there would be a way to identify that file. But that's just speculation as I have no technical knowledge of how this works.

Old 18th July 2009, 05:08   #54
MrSinatra
Forum King

it could be a song. just scan your library in halves until u get to the problem file[s].

--
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:08   #55
mhanor

the bug described here http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....53#post2516853 is still present in winamp 5.56... in most cases, when playing a flv file, the audio track gets rendered without using the directsound output plugin (out_ds), so the volume control is not working correctly and dsp plugins do not function

the current version of flash player is 10.0.32.18
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:43   #56
riffer

Re: Nullsoft Playlist Generator crashes while analyzing files

Quote:
Originally posted by whatthefunk
I would love to use the Nullsoft / Gracenote playlist generator but it crashes during the initial Scan. The Scan works for a couple of hours before I get the "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close" error durring the "Analyzing files" step. I've tried several times.
You know, I've had that same issue before for years. I've posted detailed bug reports multiple times. I never get a response, or I get a statement that I have to find the specific file causing the problem.

Well, I can say for a fact it is not any file. Nullsoft can't reproduce the issue because they are looking in the wrong place.

I found that when I analyzed my library in chunks, every single file could be analyzed just fine. I did it several ways: adding only part of my MP3 collection to the library and then analyzing the whole library (repeated until all files were done), and just importing the whole collection into the library, and then analyzing the library in chunks.

Try starting the analysis process again, let it run until it gets maybe one third or half-way through, then click Pause. Close winamp. Load winamp and start the analysis again. It will probably analyze to completion.

Everytime Winamp crashed on me with the Gracenote plugin, I found that the bug was actually not in the plugin, but in the Nullsoft Database Engine library.

I personally feel at this point that it's a resource exhaustion issue. Nullsoft's database code isn't scaling to what they are doing and people's collections. Experiences differ because people have different amounts of memory free depending on their system main memory size, OS version, applications running, etc. Though actually, I suspect it's not so much memory as something more esoteric, like number of simultaneous files open, caching, number of handles pushed on a stack, whatever...

For me the work around was to just analyze my collection in chunks. Now I can add new files and analyze them just fine.
Old 7th August 2009, 01:42   #57
DrinkFresca

Middle Mouse Button Doesn't Focus Bento Playlist

Winamp 5.56
Clean install, no 3rd-party skins or plugins
Language Pack: None (default English US)
Skin: Bug occurs with Bento only

Locale: English US
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo T9500 @2.6GHz each
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio Notebook
DirectX 10.0

Problem:
Clicking the middle mouse button (i.e. scroll wheel button) over the playlist area/panel when using Bento skin does not focus/select that area. It does do so, however, with other areas/panels such as the media library, main area (with the transport buttons), and the multipurpose area (with the file info by default). I like how using the scroll wheel adjusts the volume when the main area is focused, but when I use the middle mouse button to select the playlist so I can scroll through the playlist, it does not focus the playlist area, and thus continues to scroll the volume. This problem was not present on the 3rd party skins I used previously nor on the Winamp or Winamp classic skins. This problem occurs when the Bento playlist is both expanded and collapsed.

Method of Reproduction:
1. Open winamp.
2. Switch to Bento skin.
3. Click on the menu bar to focus the main area.
4. Focus the media library using the middle mouse button (success)
5. Attempt to focus the playlist using the middle mouse button (failure)

Old 10th August 2009, 19:35   #58
whatthefunk

Re: Re: Nullsoft Playlist Generator crashes while analyzing files

Quote:
Originally posted by riffer
Try starting the analysis process again, let it run until it gets maybe one third or half-way through, then click Pause. Close winamp. Load winamp and start the analysis again. It will probably analyze to completion.
I also came to the conclusion that there's not an issue with any particular file. As I analyzed various parts of my library in sections it would seem to crash randomly. I was at a loss as to how I could work around the issue until reading your suggestion. I ran the analysis on my entire library pausing and restarting Winamp twice during the process and you were right...it completed just fine. Thank you, Riffer!

Old 10th August 2009, 20:12   #59
MrSinatra
Forum King

how many files did u have?

--
Old 10th August 2009, 20:19   #60
whatthefunk

about 21,000

Old 10th August 2009, 20:53   #61
riffer

Re: Re: Re: Nullsoft Playlist Generator crashes while analyzing files

Quote:
Originally posted by whatthefunk
I ran the analysis on my entire library pausing and restarting Winamp twice during the process and you were right...it completed just fine. Thank you, Riffer!

Your welcome!

And I'm glad someone else had the same result, supports my theory...
Old 6th September 2009, 01:42   #62
jimgallagher

Re: Re: Nullsoft Playlist Generator crashes while analyzing files

Quote:
[i]
For me the work around was to just analyze my collection in chunks. Now I can add new files and analyze them just fine. [/B]
What do you mean "by chunks"? - the playlist generator seems to go on its own - I haven't encountered any chunkiness to it.

Do you mean: import the music collection bit by bit into winamp and have the playlist generator analyze the bits as they are added? For me that would mean clearing out the winamp database and starting anew - re-adding a lot of files.

Thanks - JV Gallagher
Old 13th September 2009, 20:30   #63
Mirage9

Bug in Notifications

Skin: Winamp Modern
Plugin: Nullsoft Modern Skins Support v1.38 [gen_ff.dll] (I think)
Other suggested info is not relevant.

When you enable notifications and make them display some info, click them, and the browser will be opened with some info. After that, Winamp immediately crashes with a message: "Runtime Error! Program: winamp.exe R6025 - pure virtual function call".

The important thing to note is that I use Opera as my internet browser (ver 10).

This bug is there for a long time.

Old 19th September 2009, 11:07   #64
Inventive Soft

Machine: Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop
CPU: AMD Turion64 X2 TL-50
RAM: 2GB SO-DIMM DDR2
HDD: 320GB
Sound: laptop onboard
Plugin: Media Library and Podcast Directory
Problem: Subscription directory in the media library's b0rked.

Since updating Winamp to 5.56, my Podcast subscription list is wrong. It doesn't display a list of my subscriptions, and only has a description of one of my subscriptions. Attached is a screenshot of the section in question.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
That's the info pane, which should be at the bottom only.
Drag the horizontal separator down from the top to reveal the Channel & Item panes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp podcast b0rked.jpg (96.8 KB, 387 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 00:45   #65
ujay
Forum King

Re: Bug in Notifications

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirage9

When you enable notifications and make them display some info, click them, and the browser will be opened with some info. After that, Winamp immediately crashes with a message: "Runtime Error! Program: winamp.exe R6025 - pure virtual function call".

The important thing to note is that I use Opera as my internet browser (ver 10).

This has been reported internally, no word on a fix to date.

This happens for me if the 'Now Playing' feature is not installed (ml_nowplaying.dll).

UJ
Old 20th September 2009, 09:42   #66
Inventive Soft

Thanks DJ Egg, that sorted it.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:19   #67
epileptic

xm file doesn't loop

Version: Winamp 5.56 (clean install)
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo T9400
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB
Sound: SoundMAX HD Audio
DirectX 9.0c

Bug: Playing an xm file with looping enabled doesn't work as it should; playback stops when the end of file is reached without looping. I tried all combinations in the Song looping options (number of loops, unconditional looping, continue play after loop) and none yielded proper behavior.

The file is attached. Just try to play it with Winamp. Looping works fine with foobar2000's DUMB plug-in. I also tried installing the BASS plug-in for Winamp afterwards; it didn't work either.

Edit: Attachment didn't work? Here's a link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2zqomyjrmn

Last edited by epileptic; 20th September 2009 at 12:40.

Old 21st September 2009, 02:49   #68
TheNomad

Re: Bug in Notifications

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirage9

Confirmed with FireFox. Hope this gets fixed soon. It didn't happen some version ago (maybe 5.4.x or 5.3.x).
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:00   #69
Inventive Soft

Same system as before, Winamp 5.56. It crashes on startup because the Media Library was loaded on last closedown on the Podcast tab, Downloads sub-tab. It freezes Winamp on loading. If the Media Library tab is clicked upon Winamp loading before the Library's opened, it crashes with a debug message and an offer to trace it. I can trace it but need pointers to guide me for what I'm looking for.
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:21   #70
Inventive Soft

A re-install didn't help the issue BTW.

Only a complete uninstall and re-install seemed to solve it. I've no idea what broke though.

Last edited by Inventive Soft; 3rd October 2009 at 18:14.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:40   #71
Gman5150

With the latest update the player works but with no audio.Everything is high def and I have more than enough memory or speed.Last version used to crank but this just shows the play progress.Used winamp for a long time.Other players have no problem.Even Quicktime runs fast.That is when I know that something is wrong.

Old 7th October 2009, 09:17   #72
Gman5150

Problem solved. Codec issue.Gman5150...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gman5150
With the latest update the player works but with no audio.Everything is high def and I have more than enough memory or speed.Last version used to crank but this just shows the play progress.Used winamp for a long time.Other players have no problem.Even Quicktime runs fast.That is when I know that something is wrong.

Old 15th October 2009, 20:07   #73
edge911

Conversion to WAVE format, useless ID3 in output

Winamp: Clean Install v.5.56, no 3d parties plug-ins

Conversion from .flac to .wav produces useless ID3 TAGs. Output waveform file can't be edited with audio programs such as Adobe Audition. Audio editor can't find begin of waveform (RIFF WAVE) because of ID3 v2 presence, ID3 v1 also presents in output.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
I can't reproduce this.
We don't support ID3 tags in FLAC for starters, only Vorbis Comments.
We also don't support tags/metadata in WAV files either.
What method are you using?
Right-click playlist/ml item -> Send to -> Format Converter?
When I do this for FLAC files and convert to WAV using Nullsoft WAV Encoder, there's no metadata written to the resulting WAV file.

Old 16th October 2009, 20:49   #74
edge911

Re: Conversion to WAVE format, useless ID3 in output

Quote:
[Edit --> DJ Egg]
I can't reproduce this.
What method are you using?
Right-click playlist/ml item -> Send to -> Format Converter?
Yes, i've used this method to convert .flac to .wav format.

I just discovered the problem's cause. It's not in flac input or wave output module. It's in MPEG decoder module in_mp3. Some time i need to listen to 'old style' mp3 (mp3 stream with RIFF header, very 'old style' mp3 in wave. It has .wav extension). So i decided to add .WAV extension in MPEG decoder module preferences just like this:
[IMG]http://ewaidqcsbs.narod******capture_10162009_233340.png[/IMG]
All ID3 tag's options turned on (read+modify+create).
So maybe, after creation of waveform file by WAV output in_mp3 module writes tags from .flac file's data .
This feature is not useful for riff wave format.

After deletion of .WAV extension in MPEG decoder module preferences FLAC 2 WAV conversion goes fine , but i can't listen to my old (MP3 in .WAV) albums .

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Yes, please use in_wave for WAV.
You can use the Waveform Wrapper for listening to riff-wav with embedded mp3.

Old 20th October 2009, 16:57   #75
lu-darp

[in_vorbis.dll] OGG properties dialog holds File handle open

The OGG/Vorbis properties dialog appears to keep File handles open unnecessarily. I presume this code is in in_vorbis.dll (v1.55).

Steps to reproduce:
1. In the playlist select an .OGG file.
2. Press Alt+F3 to show the track properties. Close it again (either OK or Cancel).
3. Optional: start playing a different track.
4. In Windows Explorer, attempt to delete the file mentioned in step 1.

BUG: The file cannot be deleted. The properties page (or related code) has not closed the file handle for the OGG file. (This can also be observed using the fantastic utility Process Explorer Process Explorer. Use Ctrl+F to search for ".ogg")

EXPECTED: I would expect the file handle to be closed whenever the properties dialog is closed.

By contrast, the .MP3 file properties dialog does not show this problem.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Reproduced/Known. Thanks.
Old in_vorbis code is a nightmare :-(
Old 27th October 2009, 03:28   #76
den po

id3v2

winamp 5.56.
id3v2 parser is unable to read tags containing a 'data length indicator' (see http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-structure ).
here are 2 examples, winamp can't read track titles from them.
Attached Files
File Type: rar examples.rar (33.9 KB, 249 views)
Old 20th November 2009, 13:52   #77
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Today I found a small but probably easy-to-fix bug in Nullsoft Tray Control v2.1a [gen_tray.dll]. Clean install, no 3rd-party plugins.

If the length of a track is more than 60 minutes, it is an old Winamp tradition that the minutes are just counted up without any wraparound to hours. So the length of a two-hour track (e.g. podcast) is displayed as "120:00" in Winamp, and I like this behavior.

Unfortunately, the tool tip of the Nullsoft Tray Control icon does display the track position differently. It calculates the minutes modulo 60 - as it were to calculate the MM display in an HH:MM:SS display layout - but then only displays the minutes.

Example: Play position in Winamp: 93:27
Supposed Tray icon tooltip display: 93:27 (or maybe 1:33:27)
Actual Tray icon tooltip display: 33:27 which is definitely wrong under all circumstances...

Maybe someone could have a look into it. Many thanks in advance! :-)

See the following image (or attached image) for a display example.

Attached Images
File Type: png time.png (53.2 KB, 299 views)
Old 21st November 2009, 11:16   #78
DrO

kzuse: please see how it goes with this test build - should now show as mm:ss

-daz
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:45   #79
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Yes, it works fine!

I was a little bit surprised that its size increased from 25 KB to 63 KB but that surely is because it's a debug build.

I would also find it great if the minutes would be shown always by 2-digits, as in the classic skin. So that 3:37 is 03:37 - but that's rather something for the wishlist

Thanks for fixing it!
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:00   #80
DrO

it's a release build but i've built it so there isn't any MS runtime dependancies (an official version would be built as a smaller dll). i'll change the time to be 2-digit on the minutes as well (very simple code change). am just waiting on some test results about the compact mode icon fixes i've made for 64bit OSes but will try to get the patch applied for the next client release.

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports