Old 21st January 2001, 02:01   #1
ZeroKnightRaiden

I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but in the menu to set Winamp's Associated Extensions (Preferences -> Setup -> File Types) not all of the filetypes of several more recently installed plugins are being listed. Installing a new copy of Winamp over the same directory does not get them listed, and removing a single-extension plugin and reinstalling it has it's filetype no longer present. I suspect the reason is too many listed extensions, as there are currently nearly 70 listed (about half of which are actually highlighted... I'll use Winamp for MODs and MIDIs when it gets as good as XMPlay and Media Player 6.4, among other extensions for which Winamp is my secondary player) with 18 input plugins listed, including the ones that shipped with Winamp. Is this a known issue? Any solution aside from a new build of Winamp or using less input plugins? I seem to remember this has been occuring as long as I have used Winamp (2.09) and only recently became a huge annoyance...

ZeroKnightRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2001, 02:06   #2
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=23786

BTW, what's wrong with Winamp's current MIDI plug-in? Seems pretty danged good to me.
And do you have any specific complaints about the MOD plug-in, other than its lack of support for MO3s?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2001, 04:27   #3
ZeroKnightRaiden

Thanks, and my issues

Thanks for the thread, removing Innover's RealMedia plugin took care of the problem. Anyway, to answer your questions:

The MIDI plug-in is less accurate at mapping certain events than I'd hoped (a large portion of GS MIDIs that work fine through MS Media Player or Master Tracks Pro through my SC-55 get played as all piano patches through the MIDI output plugin mapped to the SC-55 [SBLive! DC00 MIDI Out]). Also, despite it's DirectMusic functionality it doesn't work correctly with the Yamaha DirectMusic Plugin for S-YXG Softsynths (no drums play, works fine in other DMusic apps) and I won't use the eh quality MS Synth. That and it doesn't load DirectMusic Studio's SGT files. All minor complaints, I realize. Mostly it's that Media Player is nice to have for opening MIDIs off of both webpages and the hard drive.

The MOD plug-in issues are a bit more severe... I had a beta 2.0 MOD plugin someone sent that worked almost perfectly (correctly supported IT filters and everything) that I unfortunately lost after a reformat, which I wish would go ahead and hit release. That and whatever the hell happened to the 3DNow! mixing acceleration? The low CPU usage that allowed was the only thing I used it for, as both ModPlug and XMPlay are -much- better sounding, and XMPlay is easily more accurate at handling the mixing and commands. I'm not sure, but the last time I tried it setting both Cxx and Bxx in the same row to break to a certain pattern and row in Winamp's MikMod plugin, it would ignore the Cxx command. I'd listen in the original tracker if I could, but that's not always feasible ;) Oh well, now that I found out about the ModPlug Winamp Plugin, I could try that, I s'pose.
Old 22nd January 2001, 16:49   #4
peter
ist death

MIDI plug-in: check the latest beta at http://pp666.cjb.net/foo.htm (DMusic immediate mode is messed up, don't bother reporting it). SGT files are not supported, 'cuz they are DirectMusic files, not MIDI files. About event mapping accuracy - more info please; send me files that cause it.

MOD plug-in: there was no 3DNow! support; it was only in UI.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 02:38   #5
ZeroKnightRaiden

Last reply, don't have time to be a regular here.

MIDI plug-in: check the latest beta at http://pp666.cjb.net/foo.htm (DMusic immediate mode is messed up, don't bother reporting it). SGT files are not supported, 'cuz they are DirectMusic files, not MIDI files. About event mapping accuracy - more info please; send me files that cause it.

SGT files can contain mappable (or at least rippable/extractable) music data, however... DirectMusic project file support would be nice for those of us too lazy to download DMusic Producer or whatever MS calls it now. As far as the weird GS behaivior, it only seems to affect devices that actually recieve Sound Canvas SysEx (i.e. - my SC-55; VSC 3.2, etc.) and can be tested with any file that uses GS System Reset at the beginning, as it appears to map the reset AFTER the initial notes\events (not sure how this is possible, but either way, standard reset volumes, no 2nd drum track, all GS Patch #00 Bank #00) Aside from that, just minor discrepancies (none spring to mind, usually seems to be the speed and order of which events are handled) between my sequencer and the MIDI plugin. btw, does the Yamaha DM Softsynth not map controller #11? I say this because the device driver does... or does this refer back to the DMusic problems that you're aware of? Anyway, if you want more help (and I suspect some problems I noticed from 2.71 or so might have been resolved by now, so I'll go check through my files with my... myriad number of devices through the plugin) my email is nzero@nospam.vgmidi.com

MOD plug-in: there was no 3DNow! support; it was only in UI.

... damn it all. That would've been useful too. The small FPS increase in my vis plugins must've all been in my head.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports