Old 2nd December 2014, 23:21   #1
rickywsf

External HDD problems

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with my external HDD. In Windows Explorer I cannot double click to play a song (Any song) on my external drive. I can on my internal drives. My media library is on an internal drive but when I get new music I put it on an external drive so I can go through it to see if I want to add it to my library or delete it. I can no longer do this. Does anyone no why I suddenly cannot play music from the external drive? Thanks in advance for the help
rickywsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:53   #2
rickywsf

I figured out my problem. It was my HP 2200 webcam. It causes my HDD's to act all crazy. Once I uninstalled it everything worked perfectly as it should again. Thanks anyway everyone.
rickywsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:33   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Sounds like you had the external drive and the webcam plugged into usb ports that share the same hardware interrupt. Usually different banks of usb ports have different interrupts assigned to them. You can use the Windows system information utility to check which interrupts are assigned to your usb ports and your motherboard manual (download it from your mobo vendor's website if you don't have one) to find out which banks of ports are physically which.

Try plugging the external drive and webcam into ports with different interrupts (that are not shared with anything else, if possible).

There is also a free utility "USB Device Tree Viewer" you can use to tell you how your usb ports are being used (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support