Old 11th November 2003, 23:31   #481
dougieha

I've got this strange problem going on. Bear with me here...this might be a little hard to explain.

Say I've got the Winamp Modern skin open. I open the playlist editor, and then switch to another modern skin (say, MMD3, for example (it doesn't seem to matter which modern skin)). Everything works just fine. When MMD3 opens, the same two windows are there (main and playlist editor).

Now, switch back to the Winamp Modern skin, and put the playlist editor in Windowshade mode (so, you've got the main window open in regular mode and the playlist editor open in windowshade mode). Now, switch to a different modern skin again (MMD3 in my example case). Lo and behold...what appears? You end up with not two, but three windows open: the main window in normal mode, as it should be; the playlist editor in windowshade mode, as it should be; and another mysterious playlist editor window in normal mode. This is very strange. What is even more odd is that if I make the playlist window in windowshade mode back to normal, the other mysterious playlist editor window disappears.

A variation of this that I have noticed is that if I go through this and put the playlist editor in Winamp Modern in windowshade mode, then switch to MMD3, I'll get, instead of two playlist editor windows (one in winshade and one normal), just one playlist editor window that is in normal mode.

What I think is a key piece of evidence here is that both of these mysterious windows (in either variation) do not have a windowshade mode button: they appear to be standardframe windows, not the actual playlist editor window.

I hope someone can confirm this.

This is in WA5 Beta2, brand new clean install, WinXP Pro SP1, P4 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM.

Dougieha

My skins: Sony MPFX3-WA5 (Just for WA 5.x!!) and Sony MPFX3.
Old 12th November 2003, 02:49   #482
aquarilis

couple of bugs, soon to be fixed, init ? ;-)

nice job ! i really like that new design !

got Winamp 5 beta 2 (where to get later release ?)
runs Win XP pro SP1 on AMD athlon XP 1800+, 512 Mb, SB Audigy player with latest drivers

well, i'm not quite sure whether these are bugs or not but anyway... hopefully, i won't be putting former related bugs...

here we go :

the double size menu in the main windows option menu just doubles the playlist editor and the media library windows and not the main window.

when vis shortcut button option is set to "open configuration", nothing comes up from that shortcut button.

What is the Play button for in the main windows menu ? eventhough the music is stopped, nothing comes out of that menu.

the built-in visualization (spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope) settings are not changeable in modern skin mode ?

and it's a bit of a pain that the beat visualization is only available in stretched mode, why not put an option so as to chose between the scope or that beat visualization or both ? cause it looks cool but seems to need some improvements though...

i quite liked that curve line that shows the equalizer settings... i guess it didn't quite fit in the new modern skin design... that was handy though...

well, i guess we have to get used to it but then, i still reckon it would look better if there wasn't that gap between the equalizer and the main window so as to leave the equalizer on.
Old 12th November 2003, 03:00   #483
anomalous

multiple instance volume controld bug

im using Winamp 5 Beta 2
running under windows XP sp1, on a p4 1.8GHz, 512Mb ram, 40Gb Hdd laptop.

this is a problem i noticed originally in winamp 2, and which was fixed in winamp 3, but is still not fixed in winamp 5

when using multiple instances of winamp, changing the volume control of a single instance changes the volume of *all* instances, though it doesnt change the volume knob setting of other instances, or change any of the system volume controls (main or wave volume)

for eg: load up two instances of winamp. set both volume controls to max, and start playing tracks in both. then, turn one volume control down. they both go down. if you then click on the second instance, which still has its volume control maxed, both instances start playing at max volume.
Old 12th November 2003, 03:32   #484
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Already answered here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=155939
Do not crosspost.
Old 12th November 2003, 03:38   #485
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@anomalous
Can't reproduce
What is your sound card/chip?
Are you using DirectSound Output, or some other Output plugin?

[edit] Doh! Cheers for the headsup on the crosspost W-W [/edit]

@aquarilis
Double size only works if scaling is set to temporary, not locked.

Built-in vis is a different implementation in classic & modern skin modes.
Note how none of those options were available for freeform skins in winamp3 either, because it was never implemented . . . maybe it will be eventually ???

Everything else you mentioned, I either can't reproduce, or is already fixed.
Except for beat-detection, that is. This will only be available in stretched mode,
and the two separate built-in vis modules aren't interchangeable.

Note: Feature requests / discussions go in the relevant forums.

@dougiha
Can't reproduce that in latest internal beta
Still using a custom dpi setting? Happens with 96 dpi?

[edit] btw, with your 2nd "variation", that's normal behaviour.
Modern skin settings are saved on a per skin basis (in studio.xnf file). So putting the pledit in one skin in winshade doesn't affect all skins likewise [/edit]
Old 12th November 2003, 03:45   #486
dougieha

I'm using 96 dpi (normal). I did a completely clean install, with the Winamp Modern and MMD3 skins.

It's happening on my roommate's computer, too.

Dougieha

My skins: Sony MPFX3-WA5 (Just for WA 5.x!!) and Sony MPFX3.
Old 12th November 2003, 04:33   #487
schnurps

WA5B2-Bug: Black, transparent squares

Hi,

there is a bug, that I have on two different PCs for a longer time (i suspect since 2.91):
Winamp does at different positions black, transparent squares - half placed in the Winamp-Window, half placed on the desktop.

I tried some different Screenshot-Tools but was not able to get this square into a screenshot.
Both systems are WinNT (Win2k & WinXP) and have an ATI graphic controller chipset.

Yours,

Schnurps

Edit: In Winamp5B2 it affects only the classic-skin of course.

[Merged: (155949) --Sawg]
Old 12th November 2003, 05:53   #488
dazzie-`

I changed the settings in the vorbis plugin on the decoding tab back to "Radio / Track" (the default) from "Audiophile / Album" and I have yet to experience instability. It looks like it only crashes while on "Audiophile / Album" setting during Ogg streaming.
Old 13th November 2003, 00:42   #489
Calrobowiz

Small Winamp 5 Bug

Hey I have mentioned this on another thread but without much detail. Whenever I close Winamp I get a message saying that Winamp has performed an illegal action and must close. As far as I know Winamp is all ready closed so the message seems to come up for no good reason. I downloaded the latest version of WA5 (off of Winamp's server) just recently and still have the problem. This doesn't seem to affect Winamp's performance at all but I thought that I would bring it to your attention. I attached my system specs alone with the error message it's self in a ZIP file. Hope this helps you guys with the production of Winamp 5 in some small way.

[Merged: (156038) --Sawg]
Attached Files
File Type: zip specs and message.zip (825 Bytes, 177 views)

Old 13th November 2003, 04:23   #490
Loofington

I can't tell if this is a problem with my sound card or not but useing the direct sound output plugin version 2.2.8 (winamp 5 beta 2) the sound sometimes (after winamp is running for a while) goes tinny or crackly. The sound seems to work fine with WMP and Power DVD. I also tried updateing to my latest drivers. The sound card is nforce, motherboard is asus a7n266 VML, drivers are version 3.13 for winXP and they are WHQL. Ive also tried other speakers. EQ is turned on and is on auto.
Old 13th November 2003, 14:40   #491
unfnknblvbl

Send a message via ICQ to unfnknblvbl
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I've found that when I start Winamp 5 (b2) with the Modern skin, the title bar of the Classic-skinned playlist window appears in the middle of my screen for about a second or two before the main window loads.

I've also noticed that it's taking a fairly long time to restore from being minimised to the System Tray.

WinXP (no Serveice Pack)
Athlon XP1800+
512MB RAM
Old 13th November 2003, 16:24   #492
swhite

When I load up a song with a long title in Winamp5, the "info bar" scrolls left and right like normal. But when I right-click on it to bring up the file info box, and then press cancel, it stops moving unless I hover the mouse over it, and then it behaves erratically.
Old 13th November 2003, 18:37   #493
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@unfnknblvbl & swhite
known issues, all fixed in latest internal beta
Old 13th November 2003, 23:22   #494
swhite

Here's another bug: when I switch to another point in a CD track when I'm using the Sonic CD engine, the sound skips around for a couple of seconds before playing normally. The ASPI driver doesn't do that, so I use it instead, but the Sonic engine needs to be fixed. I wonder if that's something Nullsoft has access to, or if there are problems in the code they were given? (I think Nullsoft lienced the CD ripping technology from someone, right?)

My system:

CPU: P4 2.5GHz
Mobo: ASUS P4B533-E
CD: Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM IDE
Sound: CreamWare Pulsar

Thanks!

Shayne
Old 14th November 2003, 00:20   #495
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

lol
Sonic Engine bug is fixed in latest internal beta.
yay

(note, there's actually a lengthy debate about it somewhere in the middle of this thread)
Old 14th November 2003, 07:12   #496
trapdoor

Winamp5 Seems to hang on some files where winamp3 (and possibly winamp2) are just fine. It's always the same files and the same length of hang. I've tried both Wave and DirectSound output. FIX THIS DAMMIT!

just kidding. I eagerly await the next fix and eventually the final release.
Old 14th November 2003, 08:06   #497
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Maybe if you could upload one of these problem "files" to some webspace/server somewhere and post a link, then someone might be able to look into it.
There's no "hangs" here. Anyone else?

Note: Winamp 5.0 is the direct upgrade from Winamp 2.(9)x
Winamp3 is a different/separate program entirely.
Old 14th November 2003, 11:08   #498
arnoct

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but for some reason winamp 5b2 likes enabling shuffle/repeat randomly. I dunno if this is just something I'm doing, but I usually have them off and it enables one or the other (or both) randomly.

Windows XP SP1
192mb ram
Dual Monitor Display: GeForce 2 32mb PCI; intel 810E (Winamp's on the 810E most of the time)
Celeron 600
Old 14th November 2003, 13:38   #499
speechless

Main Menu / Playback

Hello,

Couldn't look at the entire thread but I found this out twice. I thought it could be fixed in Beta 2 but still the same.. Or is it not a bug????
Right click on main window / main menu / playback>>>
there is 'Winamp Modern' menu over 10 tracks fwd a split and 10 tracks back in the upperside. It doesn't look very well.
For a snap:
Screenshot

Cheers
Old 14th November 2003, 14:10   #500
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Unless it's a bug caused by not installing the media library, something I wouldn't dream of (especially in latest 5.0 internal, 'cos it's awesome, imho), I guess the only other thing that can be causing it is some 3rd-party gen/input plugin...

It certainly ain't happening here . . . anyone else?
Old 14th November 2003, 14:21   #501
speechless

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Unless it's a bug caused by not installing the media library, something I wouldn't dream of (especially in latest 5.0 internal, 'cos it's awesome, imho), I guess the only other thing that can be causing it is some 3rd-party gen/input plugin...

It certainly ain't happening here . . . anyone else?
BTW Yes, I did not install Media Library and Agent.
Old 14th November 2003, 15:12   #502
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, I gathered ^that^ by your screenshot (re: library)
note: personally, I never install 'agent' either.

What I wanted confirmation of was whether you'd installed any 3rd-party general purpose or input plugins. Some of these have been known to mess up the menus . . .
Old 15th November 2003, 01:10   #503
ultima528

hmm sorry if this has been posted before, but i noticed that a corner of the old winamp skin is showing next to the modern winamp skin, where the red arrow is pointing at in the attachment. i don't know if i could reproduce this though.. it was just a random thing that i've never seen before. by the way, i clicked that little corner of the skin, and the winamp menu pops up...
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (8.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 15th November 2003, 04:58   #504
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

I just noticed that sometimes the playlist isnt updated when you change the ID3 tag.

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 15th November 2003, 05:12   #505
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

When you change the id3 tag from where?
Via the library? In the playlist window? Main Window (current track)? Elsewhere?

It's always auto updated if done via the playlist window (file info/alt+3).
Then again, it also depends on Advanced Title Formatting and Metadata Reading settings in Prefs -> Titles . . .

If via the library, then yes, this is understandable.
To see the changes, either hi-light the track in the playlist window (if there's only one or a few files present in the list) or, for multiple entries (ie. full playlist) use "Sel" button -> select all (hotkey combo = Ctrl+Alt+A), then click "misc" button -> misc -> read extended info on selection (hotkey combo = Ctrl+Alt+E).

All tag/metadata updates will now be reflected.

However, it's also possible that you've stumbled upon a beta 2 bug
which has long since been fixed (internal dev stage = beta 4)
Old 15th November 2003, 05:35   #506
murjara

when playing ogg vorbis files winamp crashes

Always when I am playing ogg vorbis files, winamp crashes after a few seconds of playback, "winamp.exe has generated errors and is closed by windows". I am using winamp 5.0 beta 2. This bug existed also in winamp 5.0 beta 1. The operating system is Windows 2000 Professional SP4, sound card is Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! with latest drivers obtained from creative labs inc. Direcx version is 9.0.
Old 15th November 2003, 13:36   #507
Wombert

I'm not sure whether this bug has been submitted yet, but if you go to options->preferences->plug-ins->input and change the title/tags settings for nullsoft mpeg audio decoder (I usually set it to "%1 - %3 - %a - %2", something that wasn't possible in winamp3, thus I'm still using winamp2), these settings are saved but not recognized in the playlist... I don't like the library much, so I only use the playlist, but as I have plenty of albums from the same artist, I just have no clue which song belongs to which album etc... would be great if this could be fixed for the next release

-edit-

okay this can be done natively in winamp2, but why's the settings dialog in the plug-ins section there then?
Old 15th November 2003, 14:10   #508
trapdoor

Quote:
Originally posted by trapdoor
Winamp5 Seems to hang on some files where winamp3 (and possibly winamp2) are just fine. It's always the same files and the same length of hang. I've tried both Wave and DirectSound output. FIX THIS DAMMIT!

just kidding. I eagerly await the next fix and eventually the final release.
I know now... It's with ogg / umx files. They hang at the last few seconds every now and then. Here's 2 files that gave me problems though. http://mercurycore.net/tmp/Music.rar
Old 15th November 2003, 14:10   #509
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Wombert
Not sure if I fully understand what you mean, but . . .
settings changes in in_mp3 config -> title/tags -> title formatting
take effect when the playlist/track is reloaded/restarted,
or it can be done via: pledit -> misc -> misc -> read extended info...
("sel" button -> "select all" first, to read entire playlist)

Also, "advanced title formatting" (Prefs -> Titles) overrides any title formatting options in input plugin configs.

This was the bit that threw me:
okay this can be done natively in winamp2, but why's the settings dialog in the plug-ins section there then? ???

@trapdoor
Any chance of a .zip file instead?
Old 15th November 2003, 16:12   #510
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

@DJ Egg, This happend when I changed the ID3 tag info in the play list, But I think you said it was fixed.

Oh and one other thing, as far as betas go, I haven't seen too many major bugs from winamp5. I , as always, remain impressed with winamp.

And one small question, is it ( or will it be in the final) possible to disable volume control of winamp via the scroll wheel. I think this feature is cool, but irritating for me.

Old 15th November 2003, 16:22   #511
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRayven
[B/]
And one small question, is it ( or will it be in the final) possible to disable volume control of winamp via the scroll wheel. I think this feature is cool, but irritating for me. [/B]
No, I will mention it for a 5.01 feature request.

Won't be in 5.0 final
Old 15th November 2003, 16:53   #512
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Kewl, thanx

Old 15th November 2003, 20:50   #513
imforumman

[QUOTE]Things what not to report:

1) Anything to do with internationalization / fonts / unicode /QUOTE]

What??? Well, honestly, either you are joking or what I'm about to report is not considered "internationalization".

In 2.91 I noticed that the ML did not display "Umlaute" (a, o, u with two dots above it) correctly if they are included in a Ogg file. No problems with MP3 files. The actual player had no problems and fixed the wrong display upon starting to play the file.

I had assumed that this woulds have been fixed, but... here in 5b2 the problem also occurs in the Player, not just the ML.

To make it all even crazier, everything seems allright when editing the file Tag with the built in editor!

Attached a sample ogg file, just remove the .zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.ogg.zip (12.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 15th November 2003, 21:03   #514
bored154
Major Dude

Location: near mid of CA Posts: not much........ B-Day: August 1st
Send a message via Yahoo to bored154
i downloaded Dee3 plugin for winamp 2.x and when i opened winamp it said it created an illegal operaiton... so i uninstalled Dee3 and re-opened winamp same thing happened but this time it said "Cannot Open Table" then it said illegal operaiton..

system specs: 80 gig hard drive, ESS Audio Drive sound card, P2 600MHz

[edit] oh ya..
winamp ver: Winamp 5.0 Beta2
[/edit]

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
.::My SETI::..::My Forums::..::My New Site::..::Winamp IRC::..::My DeviantArt Page::.
Old 16th November 2003, 07:45   #515
NeoChaos

Send a message via AIM to NeoChaos
Skin problem

Ugh, the WA3 skin support still needs some more work to me. Randomly, if I switch to a modern skin and try to minimize, the window will refuse to minimize, instead showing the broken top-left corner of the classic main window at the bottom of my desktop again. Very strange that it still does that.
Old 16th November 2003, 08:13   #516
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Re: Skin problem

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoChaos
Ugh, the WA3 skin support still needs some more work to me. Randomly, if I switch to a modern skin and try to minimize, the window will refuse to minimize, instead showing the broken top-left corner of the classic main window at the bottom of my desktop again. Very strange that it still does that.
I used to get that Also, But it seems fixed in latest betas,

When Winamp goes Final, if its still a problem please re-post at that time.
Old 16th November 2003, 08:15   #517
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

[QUOTE]Originally posted by imforumman
Quote:
Things what not to report:

1) Anything to do with internationalization / fonts / unicode /QUOTE]

What??? Well, honestly, either you are joking or what I'm about to report is not considered "internationalization".

In 2.91 I noticed that the ML did not display "Umlaute" (a, o, u with two dots above it) correctly if they are included in a Ogg file. No problems with MP3 files. The actual player had no problems and fixed the wrong display upon starting to play the file.

I had assumed that this woulds have been fixed, but... here in 5b2 the problem also occurs in the Player, not just the ML.

To make it all even crazier, everything seems allright when editing the file Tag with the built in editor!

Attached a sample ogg file, just remove the .zip
Please refer to this Post by one of the Developers
Francis

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=153885

It will explain Everything.
Old 16th November 2003, 08:56   #518
imforumman

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazog
Please refer to this Post by one of the Developers
Francis

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=153885

It will explain Everything.
Hi! Thanks for the link to that thread, but I'm kind of doubting this has anything to do with unicode.

WinAmp 2.x did everything correctly in the player. WA5 doesn't have problems when the same characters are included in MP3s! See screenshot!

My guess is that the code used to read the tags off of Oggs does something strange to characters above 127, because all those "Umlaute" are standard characters in the range between 128 and 255. Why then, the Tag editing works, I havn't got a clue.

But this is not a unicode issue.
Attached Images
File Type: png umlaute.png (62.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 16th November 2003, 09:52   #519
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The reason why I added that line to the known bugs thread was mainly because all those issues are already known. Also because Font Rendering (pka: Internationalization) implementation has greatly improved/developed since Beta2. And then there's also the post by Francis.

However, there are certain in_vorbis related issues which still need sorting out, and I think this is probably still one of them. A fair few people have reported the umlaut display problem since 2.9x release...

Although I'm no expert on this issue, in_vorbis actually fully supports unicode features under Win2k/XP, which is possibly why these characters show correctly in the editor, but not in winamp window displays. Not fully sure though, I'll leave it to the man who can...

hopefully it will get fixed

*gulp*
Old 16th November 2003, 11:31   #520
imforumman

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

hopefully it will get fixed

*gulp*
:-) Thx, I hope so too.

I didn't find any posts concerning oggs specifically with this issue. I was just surprised to find a bug seen in 2.91 in 5b2 that had gotten worse!

Well, let's wait and find out what 5 final brings us. But from the first look, it's nice.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports