Old 2nd May 2012, 14:57   #1
leachim

winamp randomely crashes

two days ago my winamp started crashing for no reason. i run windows 7 and had not changed anything on my system for months, and without warning winamp would crash, so i'd restart it and it would crash again, over and over. i could not even play one song all the way through before it crashed. i decided something was seriously wrong, so i upgraded to the newest version 5.623 hoping that would fix whatever was wrong. i don't use any plug-ins or add-ons or whatever, i just use regular old winamp.

it didn't work and winamp still crashes. but here is the utterly bizarre thing. it depends on what album i am playing. try to play songs from the new amon amarth album? crashes every single song. play the new god forbid album? winamp works just fine. try to play the new lamb of god album? crashes every song. the new essence album? plays just fine.

i don't use playlists, i have my music organized in folders by album, and i simply add files manually to listen to a different album. and i've listened to all of those albums dozens of times on winamp with no problem up until two days ago. now, it seems that some albums want to play and some don't. i am completely at a loss to explain this.
leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:21   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi leachim,

How old is the hard drive your media is stored on (although drives can fail at any time, it's been my experience that they fail right away or last for a while)? Yours might be starting to fail causing file corruption. Use Windows Explorer to schedule an error check when you reboot your computer. If the report scrolls off the screen faster than you can read it, no problem it is also placed in the Event Log. If you need help with either of these things, post back.

Try your failing album(s) again, after the fixes (if any) that the error check was able to do. If there are errors that could not be fixed, then the associated data may be lost. Try copying the 'bad' albums to a new folder (and start shopping for a new drive).

If the drive checked out ok and the album(s) still fail, try a "clean" reinstall of Winamp. This means removing all Winamp related files and settings from your computer. Some of this must be done manually. Search the forum for instructions or post back.

Good Luck.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:40   #3
leachim

okay i checked the disk for errors and it came back good. it's only about 14 months old so i would hope it was still in good condition. so i did the clean reinstall and now everything seems to work correctly again. the albums i was having problems with play fine now.

thanks for the help!
leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:51   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Glad to hear your songs are playing again!

Don't you just love these computer problems that seem to come out of nowhere. You will probably never know what the issue was.

I forgot to ask if the good and 'bad' files were the same format. I assume they are. I suggest you make a backup of your collection, if you don't have one. There is also a backup tool for Winamp (saves you from having to redo settings and rebuilding your media library).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 11th May 2012, 11:03   #5
alan frost

winamp crashes

I don’t love them because winamp now crashes more often than it plays and I have brand new PC with 3TB SATA drive running 64 bit version of Windows 7 and the technician asserts the fault is with winamp and nothing else. I have removed the programme several times and then reinstalled it too no effect and I am now forced to abandon winamp even though I prefer the sound quality over other software.
alan frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 01:51   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi alan frost,

If you just want to vent, ok. If you want someone here to try to help you, you need to provide specific information.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=161361#specs is required.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support