Old 3rd June 2014, 15:52   #1
darney53

.PLS files Crash Winamp

Here lately since I had a problem with Winamp re installed ver. 5.666, my PLS files cause the program to crash. I don't know what is wrong, hoping someone here can help me "Please" I would post crash log if I knew how.
darney53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:54   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi darney53,

Try replacing in_mp3.dll and any of the other appropriate files with those listed in post #1 of the thread linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 23:33   #3
darney53

.PLS files Crash Winamp

I did install the in_mp3.dll found in the article and the other patch (gen_jumpex.dll). While I was here earlier. but it still crashes, when I load any of the PLS files I have been playing before. I think something happened when I restored a Winamp backup last month. Any way I used the info tool to create a report maybe one of the heavy weights here can look at it and help me out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_03.06.2014.zip (4.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 4th June 2014, 01:52   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

It will also help to provide the crash report and 1 or more of your failing PLS playlist files in a zip.

Have you tried running in Safe mode (via Winamp > Prefs > Plug-ins)?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 8th June 2014, 22:12   #5
darney53

How do I upload files within this forum? I don't see anything to attach files. Will try safe mode while I am waiting on a reply.
Old 8th June 2014, 23:18   #6
darney53

Can someone please tell me where to find crash files. I looked where it shows me in preferences "Error Feedback" but no crash files are there. I also ran the Winamp Info Tool, check where extended report should be saved but no files. I am uploading 2 of the .PLS files that no longer play and cause Winamp to crash.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Winamp Radio Live 365.7z (555 Bytes, 85 views)
Old 8th June 2014, 23:34   #7
darney53

.PLS files Crash Winamp

Okay used an older version of Winamp Info Tool, hope this helps also hope i did it right.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_08.06.2014.txt (27.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: 7z Winamp Radio Live 365.7z (555 Bytes, 88 views)
Old 9th June 2014, 02:54   #8
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by darney53 View Post
Can someone please tell me where to find crash files. I looked where it shows me in preferences "Error Feedback" but no crash files are there. I also ran the Winamp Info Tool, check where extended report should be saved but no files. I am uploading 2 of the .PLS files that no longer play and cause Winamp to crash.
FYI
I can't reproduce a crash with those pls files.
Both play without a problem in my Winamp.
Maybe an expert will find something in your info report.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 07:23   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Can someone please tell me where to find crash files. I looked where it shows me in preferences "Error Feedback" but no crash files are there.
You didn't say what happened with Safe Mode. Your report shows some 3rd party plug-ins which may have something to do with the issue.

There is nothing to be gained by using an older version of the Winamp Info Tool. Always use the latest version, currently v4.6.0 RC1 (with the most recent bug fixes and improvements). Link below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Assuming the appropriate options are selected in the "Error Feedback" preferences, it is possible that the built-in error report generator (gen_crasher.dll) will not detect the particular crash you are having. I also suggest you disable the option to "Send Data", since the receiving server that was provided by AOL may no longer be working.

Anyway, there is another app that can be used to capture crash data. See link below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...86&postcount=6

Old 9th June 2014, 17:57   #10
darney53

Thank you Aminifu, I used the latest v4.6.0, but it did not work tried twice. That's why I used the older. Wanted to have something to send to you. I tried again after disabling "Send Data",but still no crash file created. I also downloaded the ProcDump from the link you provided, unable to create dump file. I have attached a screen shot for you to see. My problem seems to be with particular files I have downloaded from Radio Live365. they used to play but now, they crash Winamp. I have some other ones .PLS that will play. I am going to upload one of those files. Lastly I do appreciate your help. I am learning more each year how to use and navigate Winamp. Thx. PS, the PLS file I was going to send that will play is invalid when I try to upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot Results.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	51205  
Old 9th June 2014, 19:58   #11
DrO

not every crash can generate a valid crash report and as you've had so much trouble with the Winamp crash reporter and also procdump (which is a far more reliable option), i've got to suspect that the crash could be from something else being loaded into the Winamp process (like an anti-virus) and that itself could even be the cause of the crashes (which is something that has been seen before or you get weird behaviour like duplicate network connections as was seen with AVG and some SHOUTcast streams recently).

as for the crash itself, i've tried a few things and i've not been able to get it to crash (or see anything bad with things when running under a debug build).

however, looking at the info report, the following are of concern:

in_mp3hd.dll - (this should be removed and never ever installed again - it's well known to break in_mp3's functionality and could even be the cause of the issues)
dsp_LoudMax.dll - (this shows as being the active DSP at the time, if removing in_mp3hd.dll doesn't help, then you should select '(none)' for the active DSP)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 20:03   #12
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Thank you Aminifu, I used the latest v4.6.0, but it did not work tried twice. That's why I used the older.
What exactly hasn't worked?
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 20:49   #13
darney53

Aminifu, just followed you suggestion to start Winamp in safe mode and the files that were causing Winamp to crash played. So now how do I know what to remove from plugins etc? Can you explain to me my next approach?
Old 9th June 2014, 21:09   #14
darney53

Thanks Aminifi, should have followed your suggestion about starting in safe mode sooner. Through that I was able to think about what plugins I had installed to be suspicious of. I uninstalled the MP3HD plugin and the LastFM scrobbler plugin. Although I had discovered on my own that the in_mp3hd.dll plugin was no good. After installing the last FM plugin was when I started having the problem. But did not think of it till ("safe mode") So now those .pls files will play in normal mode, thx again for you patience with working me through this.
Old 10th June 2014, 02:20   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Thanks Aminifi, should have followed your suggestion about starting in safe mode sooner.
NP, glad you got things working again. 3rd party plug-ins often cause problems when the Windows OS version and/or Winamp version is updated and they are not.

Safe Mode will disable all 3rd party plug-ins and all detected visualization and DSP plug-ins. The Winamp Info Tool will indicate which installed components are native and which are 3rd party. The HTML version of the report further helps by using different colors to highlight things.

It will help us all if you can help Koopa figure out why v4.6.0 RC1 of the info tool does not work for you. It's probably better to post those comments, if any, in the info tool's thread.

Anyway, once Safe Mode indicates that 1 or more of the installed 3rd party plug-ins (or a visualizer or DSP plug-in) is causing an issue, then you need to find out which one(s).

One way is what you did, namely think about the changes made just before the issue started. The time consuming (but definitive) way is to deactivate (rename file extensions to ".off") or temporarily remove all 3rd party components and reactivate or replace them one at a time until the 'bad' guy(s) is found. Most of these files will be in the Winamp plugins folder and have a ".dll" extension. Others may be in the Winamp system folder and have a ".w5s" extension.

Old 10th June 2014, 14:46   #16
darney53

Thanks, I am copying your last post to reference when I need to explore possible glitches in Winamp performance. I will try to see why v4.6.0 RC1 does not work for me, probably has something to do with my operating system blocking access, but for sure will research it.
Old 10th June 2014, 23:02   #17
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, I am copying your last post to reference when I need to explore possible glitches in Winamp performance. I will try to see why v4.6.0 RC1 does not work for me, probably has something to do with my operating system blocking access, but for sure will research it.
That's not good, and if it's a valid issue, others may have the same problem. Just weird, that the old 4.2 Beta version is working for you.

I really hope to hear something from you related to the issue.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:37   #18
darney53

Aminifu, I have another question for you when I attempt to play: pls, playist file from a CD ripping, I see it playing in Winamp but do not get any sound. These are new to me. Is there something I need to enable?
Old 12th June 2014, 10:49   #19
darney53

v4.6.0 RC1 still not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
That's not good, and if it's a valid issue, others may have the same problem. Just weird, that the old 4.2 Beta version is working for you.

I really hope to hear something from you related to the issue.
Koopa, I just attempted to run: v4.6.0 RC1, but it still did not generate a report. I don't know what the problem is, not even sure how to troubleshoot it. Can you offer me some help. I am using Windows 8 64bit OS.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:55   #20
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Koopa, I just attempted to run: v4.6.0 RC1, but it still did not generate a report. I don't know what the problem is, not even sure how to troubleshoot it. Can you offer me some help. I am using Windows 8 64bit OS.
1. What exactly happens if you create a report, do you see an error message?
2. If the tool is done, are you asked to open the containing folder of the generated report?
3. Is the report folder empty for you?
4. Does the tool show correct information and only the report fails for you?
5. Can you disable the zip compression feature (Preferences > Report Settings) and see if this will work?
6. Can you send me your Winamp_Info_Tool.ini file?
Old 14th June 2014, 18:27   #21
darney53

When I attempt to create extended report, it goes through the process. But when completed it shows 0 report was created. It takes me to the folder where the report should be automatically but it is empty. No files have been created. "Report Settings" you mean Error Feedback? I don't see report settings.
Attached Files
File Type: ini Winamp_Info_Tool.ini (894 Bytes, 113 views)
Old 14th June 2014, 20:35   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
"Report Settings" you mean Error Feedback? I don't see report settings.
No. On the info tool UI itself, on the bottom, to the right of "Create an extended report" is "Preferences". Click that and then click "Report Settings" on the right (at the top of the resulting page), if it is not dimmer than the heading on the left "General Settings". Then look for the 2nd option down from the top on the left (Automatic zip compression for:) and select the "No Report enabled" option in the box's drop down list next to it.

Old 15th June 2014, 19:47   #23
darney53

v4.6.0 RC1 Create Report

Thx, followed your instructions tool has now generated a report, that I have attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_06-15-2014.txt (31.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 16th June 2014, 04:25   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, something about the new report compression feature is not working for you. Koopa (the person who made the info tool) will probably have more questions.

I see from your report that you have not replaced "in_mp3.dll" and "gen_jumpex.dll" with their suggested replacements.

Old 16th June 2014, 16:33   #25
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks, I noticed that you are using the desktop as target dir for your reports, I tried to use the same path like you, the tool has created the dir but I get no report either.

I think I know, what the issue is and will fix it.
Old 16th June 2014, 16:56   #26
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/140..._Info_Tool.exe

This hopefully should fix the zip compression issue. Thanks again for reporting the issue.
It would be nice, if you could test it, enable the zip compression again and verify if it's working now.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support