Old 23rd December 2013, 03:38   #1
LeCluz

Prevent writing ID3v1 on multi-Selection/Edition

Hi,

I don't use ID3v1 aymore and just want to keep them blank.
The multi-Selection / Edition in the library is very neat but seems to re-write ID3v1.
I could not find any parameter to ignore it. I could not find any topic discussing this either.

Am I missing something here? It is maybe not possible and will require a feature request?

Thanks in advance for your help.
LeCluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:12   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I don't know how to strip them from within Winamp by default. And I see you are using the multi-select "Edit Metadata of Selection".

I assume you found the tick boxes in the File Info dialog which says "Include ID3v1 tag in file?" Have you tried flipping these after doing the multi-select "Edit Metadata of Selection?"

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a bit of a hidden trick. Select those tracks again, but this time choose Edit File Info. Now click to the ID3v1 page and untick the "Include ID3v1 tag in file?" box.

As long as you hit the <OK> button, the changes are saved and the next track in your selection will now be opened. this allows you to work through the list of tracks - in your case stripping the ID3v1 tags as you go.

Personally I use this trick a lot. I'll set the album name and other common details with the "Edit Metadata of a Selection". And then open that same selection of tracks with <ALT><3> to clean up the track numbers and titles. Hitting <OK> between each change.

I did a quick test to see if you could use this trick to strip the ID3v1 tags BEFORE using the "Edit Metadata of Selection" option, and confirmed that that just puts all the ID3v1 items back into place.

What you can certainly do it make use of MP3TAG (www.mp3tag.de) to strip every v1.1 tag from your whole collection in one go. Would certainly seem a simple option for you for now.

And the Devs ain't gonna like me.... I found a small GUI bug in that "Edit Metadata of Selection" dialog box. You have to actually type with the keyboard to get the UPDATE button to light up. Copy and Paste doesn't wake up the button.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:53   #3
DrO

there's options in the MP3 decoder to control the type of tags written which is then applied for any new writes made to the files.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:10   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ahhh... of course. I knew it must be in there somewhere. You guys think of everything.

Options \ Preferences \ Plug-ins \ Input \ Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decode Settings.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:50   #5
LeCluz

Thanks guys for the quick answer.

@Batter Pudding: your 1st solution is a workaround but I don't want to edit the file 1 by 1 to uncheck "Include ID3v1 tag in file" when I have hundreds of files

The seconds solution resolved my problem. Thanks again!
Old 24th December 2013, 01:58   #6
LeCluz

Actually, something else came up, when using the "Edit metadata for selection".

I disabled ID3v1 via the plugin so now; I only work with ID3v2

I had no issue for most of the metada I edited. However, for 1 album, I changed the genre from Dance to Club. In Winamp it looks OK.

However, in my tag editor software (I use EZ CD Audio Converter), I noticed that it was still showing the previous genre (unmodified): Dance

So, wanted to remove the ID3v2 tag : I went back to winamp, used the "View file info", unchecked "Include ID3v2 tag in file"; clicked OK. It should have removed the tag
I went back again to the "View file info" to check, and surprise : I still had the ID3v2 tag info, with the old genre: Dance

It appears that when I edited the tag via "Edit metadata for selection", it did not replace the previous tag. Instead, it "added a second layer of ID3v2". I had to uncheck "Include ID3v2 tag in file" + validate twice to completely clear the tag.

How is it possible? Do I miss something here?
If multiple ID3v3 layers are possible, is there a way to force winamp to overwrite the previous one?

Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 02:41   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCluz View Post
How is it possible? Do I miss something here?
If multiple ID3v3 layers are possible, is there a way to force winamp to overwrite the previous one?
Interesting! I'm not able to reproduce your results. If you are able to put 2 layers of tags in another file, will you post it for inspection (via a file sharing site)?

If it only happened with files from 1 album, maybe the original tags in those files were added in some strange manner.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 03:12   #8
LeCluz

Well, I've noticed this behavior in the past, and i have at least 1 other album like this.
I agree, something unknown may have happened, but it means it is possible to have multiple layers...

Here is a link to a test file
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/62794351/file.html
Old 24th December 2013, 04:01   #9
LeCluz

I actually found similar behaviour with other album / files.

Here is a short sample of a file to work on (2 seconds):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...id3v2_tags.mp3
Old 24th December 2013, 06:55   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi LeCluz,

Those files have both ID3V2.3 and ID3V2.4 tags, not two layers of v2.3 tags. The v2.3 genre tag says "deleteme" and the v2.4 says "Dance". The larger file also has v1.1b tags (it's genre says "Other").

Winamp reads and writes v2.3 (and/or v1.1b) tags and from what you said in Post #6, it must be able to remove v2.4 tags. It appears that Winamp's tag editors will add or overwrite v2.3 (and/or v1.1b) tags and ignore v2.4 tags when doing an update.

I assume your tag editor (EZ CD Audio Converter) displays the highest ID3 version it finds in a file. I'm not familiar with this editor. It may have options that let you select which ID3 versions are read and/or written. ID3V2.4 has some advantages in abilities, but is not widely popular nor nearly as well supported as ID3V2.3.

I use a tool called "MP3 Diags (link below). It lets me identify issues with tags in MP3 files, fix some of the issues and make other changes, like adding track information (and deleting v2.4 tags which it considers invalid ID3V2 data).

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Old 24th December 2013, 14:47   #11
LeCluz

Great! thanks Aminifu.

I will try out MP3 Diags. Writing ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 is configurable in EZ CD Audio Converter and I use ID3v2.3 (both not possible)

Well, I loaded the file with a different tag editor that can differentiate both versions but see only 1 at teh time(UltraTagger, which is very old but still works...), and it detected the ID3v2.3 first.

When I removed the tag from winamp (uncheck "include ID3v2 in the file"), reloaded in UltraTagger, then it showed ID3v2.4.

So I guess the issue a matter of how the program detects it and which one has been written first. In this case, Winamp overwrote the v2.3, not the 2.4, which is the most recent in term of versionning, but seems to have been written first (older in term of creation date)

Should we report a "bug" or a whishing request to detect and handle multiple version of ID3v2.x tags ?
eg: "which version should be updated?": The first or last created or. ID3v4 by default.
Or even better, if both are present, chosing one by default that could overwrite (ie = remove) the other one ?
I checked, this is not configurable in the dll plugin
Old 24th December 2013, 15:03   #12
DrO

Winamp is working as expected when you have multiple instances of a tag type which should not be present i.e. there should only be one ID3v2.x tag in a file, not multiples. and Winamp generally doesn't do ID3v2.4 writing, just reading, with ID3v2.3 being the generally adopted version for read and writing in the majority of usage cases.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 15:21   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCluz View Post
Should we report a "bug" or a whishing request to detect and handle multiple version of ID3v2.x tags ?
eg: "which version should be updated?": The first or last created or. ID3v4 by default.
Or even better, if both are present, chosing one by default that could overwrite (ie = remove) the other one ?
I checked, this is not configurable in the dll plugin
It is not a matter of which version is written when. An mp3 can contain multiple versions of tags, just not multiples of the same version. Apps are designed to read/write 1 or more versions (which is usually selectable in some way).

I agree with DrO, that Winamp is working as designed and therefore this is not a bug. You should add your behavior changes to the wishlist. Unless the developers or a lot of users agree with them, then your suggestion will probably not be implemented.

Edited:
To correct spelling.

Last edited by Aminifu; 24th December 2013 at 17:17.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:39   #14
LeCluz

OK, thank you both for the clarification
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
edition, id3v1, id3v2, multi, selection