Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 2nd August 2012, 10:11   #1
otaner

Clarifying 'Now Playing' updating with different DNAS (was: Problem on shoutcast.com)

Why when I try to search something (that I know is now playing) checking "now playing", I obtain 0 radios?
otaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:32   #2
DrO

i've moved this from 'Winamp Bug Reports' as it does not relate to the purpose of that sub-forum.

searching by now playing only relates to what was provided by the DNAS to the YP at the time of the last 'touch' which can be up to 10 minutes out from what is actually playing if working with a v1 DNAS server.

with a v2 DNAS server there is generally less of a time difference and it should usually match with the now playing as indicated by the DNAS.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:34   #3
otaner

Is there this lag also for developers which use APIs?
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:59   #4
DrO

the lag is inherent to how things work with _all_ v1 DNAS which only updates up to once every 10 minutes when the YP touches it. the v2 DNAS generally updates when a title change happens so there is essentially a minimal lag in that respect when using those DNAS.

so using the API has no effect on speeding things up on the underlying information provided. the only thing is that the site can be a bit behind on where it is in it's update cycle to the data the API would provide, but it uses the same data source overall.

and you've still not answered my question about why you think you need API access in your other thread here.

-daz
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:07   #5
otaner

Ok.
If I go on this page http://94.23.67.172:8010/ (for example) I can see the real song "now playing" (current song) but if i search it on the shoutcast.com home page, I can't find the radio channel.
So can I go directly to that page to have my "now playing" song or there isn't any way to obtain it?

I hope I not be boring but i really need the information, because if I become partner and the site doesn't work as I want, then not worth it!
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:15   #6
DrO

you're not reading what i am telling you - the system is lagged by design when using a v1 DNAS as your DNAS link has now confirmed that is the case.

if you want the now playing to be effectively updated in real-time, you need to be using a v2 DNAS server. there is nothing you can otherwise to do to achieve what you want with the DNAS and the listing showing the same information (within usually a maximum of a minute delay after a DNAS touch update happens) without changing the DNAS being used.

access to the API is not going to improve anything about this since the API just provides the last information provided by the last touch update from the DNAS server (and as you keep refusing to answer my question on why you want access, i'm about at the point of passing on a note to those who do allow access to make sure you don't get it even if it was going to be allowed).

-daz
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:12   #7
otaner

Ok thank you, I was just thinking about an interface that uses the radios of the site so nothing dangerous for the site, but I understood it is not so easy to do

Thanks again
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:27   #8
DrO

there is nothing preventing you from pulling the information directly from the DNAS server(s) you are running (pulling from other people's DNAS without their agreement first is against our TOS and is just rude) and use that information as you want e.g. on a custom status page on your site.

-daz
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:33   #9
otaner

It was not only for my home page, it was a biggest thing! However I never thought to violate any license or privacy! I just saw many shoutcast players and many shoutcast apps (also as google-chrome extensions) so I was thinking to something similar. But thank to you I understood it is not so simple as i thought.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:36   #10
DrO

nothing is ever as simple as it seems when it comes to broadcasting. most large streams end up with their own implementations of pages / apps, etc to be able to get what they want which sounds like is what you probably have to consider doing if you want to target specific features / details to people about your streams.

-daz
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:42   #11
otaner

ok, thank you again.
I read about a plugin for linux audio players that can be used for receive radio stream from this site so i thought it was simple and legal.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support