Old 25th November 2003, 23:13   #241
cppman

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRayven
Ahh... is there any vis's that compare to the AVS that use openGL or direct3d/directX?
I think Milkdrop is much better actually. You can get it running really fast on an even a pokey machine if you tweak the settings.
check out milkdrop.co.uk for presets.
Old 25th November 2003, 23:42   #242
fastbreak

Ah i see you have to tell milkdrop or w/e visual plugin u use to use the secondary monitor in the plugin's settings, u can't just drag it over because it will lag like hell. otherwise it works good
Old 25th November 2003, 23:47   #243
fastbreak

Alot of these plugins use so much cpu power even on my system it like uses 100%

Edit: i still wonder if it should be using that much cpu power even with a powerful system?
Old 25th November 2003, 23:52   #244
rcsforums

Winamp 5.0 rc8 and mutimedia keyboard problems.

the keys play pause next previous stop in keyboard not work with playlist

view image

[Merged: (157604) --Sawg]
Attached Images
File Type: png winamp50keymm.png (26.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 26th November 2003, 00:20   #245
Sawg

@fastbreak
Visualization takes A LOT of CPU power. if you resolution, color depth, or frame rate is set to high they will gladly use all of it. This is not a bug. Try something less complex.

@rcsforums
Please read all stickies before posting
Please post Winamp 5.0 RC8 bugs in this thread ONLY and not in their own threads
Please Search the Forums before posting.
Winamp 2.X Forums Search: keyboard
Known Issue.
Plug-in Search: Keyboard

Old 26th November 2003, 00:46   #246
fastbreak

alright thanks... i will play around with the settings
Old 26th November 2003, 04:14   #247
Fused

Quote:
Originally posted by EAK125
Like I said - directshow... But note - using a software dvd player's codec is not the same as a dedicated directshow filter - using different sofware dvd player codecs will give different results.

@fused - do you have mpeg and m2v in your file list under your directshow filter ? I think it should be default but u never know...

Also what version of PowerDVD do you have? I did a little testing with power dvd (since elecard has the option to turn itself off). I could get v.4's codec to work with winamp but not v.5's... Maybe that's just me - anyone else?

And what video card/drivers are u using and what Direct X - may help others track down the bug.

(EAK)

Sorry this is a long post, but i've been trying to find more info on this ....

Yes the file extensions are listed under the directshow filter.

Actually I am using PowerDVD v5, if this is a problem with PowerDVD version, I don't see why the codec would allow video to be decoded in other players with no problem though? With v5 were you experiencing a crash or something else?

Video card drivers are Detonator v52.13's. DirectX version is 9.0b.

I've also just tried a clean install, no 3rd party plugins at all, same crash problem with SVCD video files.

And I dunno if it points to soemthing, but the crash error is always exactly the same, the memory offset never changes:
Quote:
The instruction at "0x1c403b9b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
ps.
Just did some googling on this type of error and I came across this comment on another forum:
Quote:
In C and C++, there are useful, yet dangerous things called pointers. A pointer is a simple mechanism that allows you to 'point' to another object that you've already set up. This is very useful - in Orbiter, there are pointers to ships, MFD's, textures, you name it.

The error you mentioned happens whenever a program attempts to use a pointer that hasn't been initialised. Uninitialised pointers are typically set to 0, which leads the program to fail with a "Instruction xxxxxxxxx Referenced Memory at '0x0000000000', The Memory Could Not Be 'read'.

This happens because the memory at 0 is never assigned to a program, and so trying to read 0 leads to a failure of the program.

Pointers can occur all over the place - I regularly create this error with silly mistakes in my code whilst I'm programming.

In summary.....
1. This error is caused by a silly programming mistake (no disrespect to anyone - 99% of my mistakes are of this type!)
2. There is no single cause of this error - each programmer has many opportunities to cause it every time they create code with pointers in it.
pps.
Quote:
Windows NT derivatives are much more stringent about memory errors.

Windows 9x will often let the read go ahead. More to the point, Windows 9x doesn't guarantee that the pointer will be set to zero when the program starts, so reads from uninitialised pointers will go almost anywhere depending on what that piece of memory was used for last time. Reading will lead to junk being pulled into your program.
So I tried turning on compatibility mode in WinXP, i set it to Windows 98/ME and now Winamp does not crash, but it still does not play properly.

The video does not show at all, and while there is audio that can be made out, it is very garbled.

Last edited by Fused; 26th November 2003 at 04:45.
Old 26th November 2003, 07:12   #248
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
Cool info fused. That should be very helpful but i'm no coder...

I really don't know why 5 dosn't work while 4 does kinda and both work fine with other players. But you know what? This may just be a good time to call me an ass.

Does anyone else use power dvd for your mpeg 2 playback? What version and does it work with winamp?

(EAK)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 26th November 2003, 07:17   #249
Sawg

Using WinDVD (InterVideo decoders) I seem to have no problem with MPEG2 video. Sounds like it might be somthing with PowerDVD.

Old 26th November 2003, 07:52   #250
pontifex

I did a fresh install of WA5RC8 and whenever I try to load a modern skin it crashes with:

Assertion failed
Expression: f != NULL
File: c:\dev\Studio\Studio\font.cpp
Line:131

The OK and Cancel buttons don't work in the dialog that appears. I've reinstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled, and deleted the winamp folder every time. I've also tried various other skins to see if those were the problem. Only classic mode will work. Enabled / Disabled cleartype, no other programs open, plenty of hard drive space free.

I'm running a Pentium 4 2.53 (D845PEBT2 mainboard) with 1 gb RAM, a Radeon 9700 PRO, and a turtle beach santa cruz on winxp professional sp1. DirectX 9.0b
Old 26th November 2003, 08:03   #251
Hexalon

annoying bug in rc8

when you play a video(it doesn't matter what codec is used) it plays fine but when you try to play it again it is audio only.
Old 26th November 2003, 10:11   #252
Al_Capone_2

BUG:
if "modern skin" is selected, WM_commands for "next" & "previous" song is not working, as soon as "classic" skin is chosen, the WM messages works again...
Old 26th November 2003, 12:36   #253
hedge

try setting alt+d as a global hotkey and see it clear every other hotkey set... i want to set alt + d as seek backward, arrgghhh this is annoying.
Old 26th November 2003, 16:00   #254
zwat

Re: Litestep bug

Quote:
Originally posted by zwat
no other winamp version installed.

in modern skin and no litestep options checked all winamp windows that is open pops up randomly when changing "desktops".
when it crashes it won't start again.
-- this worked fine in winamp 5 beta2 --
this bug is maybe hard to reproduce but have u looked in to it? something went realy wrong between wa5b2 and wa5rc8
Old 26th November 2003, 16:18   #255
Gege2B

Hi guys,
RC8 works fine for me, but there's a little thing weird
I have a plugin which display, in the minibrowser, the lyrics of the song playing.
But after a few seconds, it shows me the webpage "Now Playing" on winamp.com, skipping the lyrics ...

Is it a bug or is there a checkbox to avoid this behaviour ?
Old 26th November 2003, 16:42   #256
mrolan

MilkDrop

Everytime I open up Milkdrop in RC8 it freezed my whole computer? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Old 26th November 2003, 17:55   #257
bnuk013

Send a message via AIM to bnuk013
could be nothing...

was playing a song and updated the tag info while it was playing. it faded it out and back in real quick as soon as i hit update, and then it kinda locked up for a good 30 secs but kept playing the song. running on a 933mhz/512mb
Old 26th November 2003, 18:02   #258
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

bnuk013, I dont think thats a bug. Its fading out because winamp has to stop playing the file for a second. As for the lockup, I dunno, I get lag like that all the time and you can see my system specs.

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 26th November 2003, 18:14   #259
mrolan

Milkdrop Bug

Thanks guys.. I looked around a bit more and found a bunch of potential problems w/Milkdrop.. since this is a work computer I'm not going to go snooping around for setting on the video card and resolution, which I understand may be the problem. In response to bnuk013 however, that's what was happening.. my whole computer would freeze but the sound kept playing.. it may have came around after a minute or so but I didn't wait around to find out. ... . Thanks again.
Old 26th November 2003, 19:09   #260
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If you update an ID3v2 tag whilst the file is playing, then the whole file needs to be rewritten (not re-encoded) because the ID3v2 tag is stored at the beginning of the mp3. The larger the file, the longer the pause. Open the folder where the mp3 is stored, then update the tag, and you'll see a TEMP file momentarily appear then disappear.

As for some of the other posts on this and the previous page...
How many times do we have to tell you to include all relevant system specs,
full instructions on how to reproduce the problem, and not to report multimedia keyboard and 3rd-party plugin/skin related issues?

Also, please don't post requests for help here.
Post them in a new thread in the Winamp 2x/5 Discussion forum.
This thread is meant to be strictly limited to bug reports.
The more non bug related posts in here, the harder it becomes for us to locate & deal with them.

Thank you.
Old 26th November 2003, 19:26   #261
salat0001

Winamp 5: Main Window is gone after new Start

When I have Winamp 5 minimized and shut down my Computer: Next time I start Winamp its main window is not visible. Then I first have to click on the icon in my system tray to put it visible again. Also then, the main window is displaced and no longer right on top of the equalizer.

[Merged: (157697) --Sawg]
Old 26th November 2003, 19:39   #262
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

Quote:
Originally posted by hedge
try setting alt+d as a global hotkey and see it clear every other hotkey set... i want to set alt + d as seek backward, arrgghhh this is annoying.
Thanks, will be fixed. Either all accelerators from that page will be removed or I find a nice way to ignore accelerators when the hotkey box is focused.

(Currently, Alt+D = Reset All)

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
Old 26th November 2003, 20:36   #263
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
Winamp5.0 Rc8
Win XP Pro SP1
Athlon 1900+
ATI allinwonder 7500 pro (latest drivers)
512mb DDR ram
Audigy Mp3+
DX9b
FFDshow (for avi)
Elecard (for mpeg)
-----------------------------------------
Has anyone ripped a cd and had the playlist option off only to have winamp make one anyway?

I definitely told winamp not to make a .pls, .m3u and or media library playlist yet it still made a .pls in it's own folder (i didn't change the settings in the playlist tab to fit my ripping tab...) I'm positive all those checkmarks were off before i started and i double checked after the rip - Off they were.

Bug? Anyone? Not a biggie but annoying.

BTW Love that ogg ripper SAWG - can't wait for Pro for full speed and mp3 (i prefer mp3 but will play oggs...)!

(EAK)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 27th November 2003, 02:06   #264
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by pontifex
I did a fresh install of WA5RC8 and whenever I try to load a modern skin it crashes with:

Assertion failed
Expression: f != NULL
File: c:\dev\Studio\Studio\font.cpp
Line:131

The OK and Cancel buttons don't work in the dialog that appears. I've reinstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled, and deleted the winamp folder every time. I've also tried various other skins to see if those were the problem. Only classic mode will work. Enabled / Disabled cleartype, no other programs open, plenty of hard drive space free.

I'm running a Pentium 4 2.53 (D845PEBT2 mainboard) with 1 gb RAM, a Radeon 9700 PRO, and a turtle beach santa cruz on winxp professional sp1. DirectX 9.0b
CHECK PM ASAP

THANX!!!!
Old 27th November 2003, 04:28   #265
sebt

bug: switching skins with video window open

This has happened a few times to me now. I'm playing a movie in Winamp's video window. The movie is windowed, not fullscreen. I pause the movie. I then switch from the classic skin I started with to the modern skin. Bang. Winamp crashes. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough. Can't remember if it happens when I switch from modern->classic or the other way round, but it's when I switch skins.

I don't know whether this might be something to do with a 3rd party plugin, because I am usually watching DivX movies that are decoded using the Porzillosoft DivX plugin for Winamp, which in turn uses the divx.com reference decoder. I don't really have any other types of movie I can try to confirm that the problem is not related to that plugin. I imagine though that since the problem occurs during a skin switch it's more likely to be a winamp thing.

Seb
Old 27th November 2003, 04:33   #266
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

What the hell! Does NO ONE read how to properly post a bug any more?

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 27th November 2003, 04:37   #267
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You don't need any 3rd-party plugins to watch DivX movies.
If the file extension is .divx (as opposed to .avi), then just add ;DIVX to the DirectShow Decoder config extension list.
Also make sure you've got the latest DivX 5.1.1 installed (direct link to standard free codecs, optionally uncheck 'DivX Player' during setup, like I always do)
Old 27th November 2003, 04:54   #268
ctrlfreak

Pretty small, but it's gotten in the way enough (since i play small loops a lot):

When playing a file where the length is less than the crossfade time, an endless loop of audio occurs, blowing out my ears and eating my cpu time. I think it should just auto ignore the crossfade if it's that short.
Old 27th November 2003, 06:03   #269
InvertedParadox

Occasionally, Winamp seems to really mess up file names - in the playlist it says its playing one song, while its really playing another. If you check the file info, its correct, and its always by the correct band, but that song title in the playlist is wrong. I organise my music by band - album - song, and the songs don't have a consistant naming scheme.
Dell Inspiron 5150 (laptop)
Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
512 RAM
Radeon 9000 64 mb
Windows XP SP1 Home
Winamp 5.0 RC
Old 27th November 2003, 06:17   #270
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cannot reproduce
Old 27th November 2003, 06:19   #271
InvertedParadox

Quote:
Originally posted by InvertedParadox
Occasionally, Winamp seems to really mess up file names - in the playlist it says its playing one song, while its really playing another. If you check the file info, its correct, and its always by the correct band, but that song title in the playlist is wrong. I organise my music by band - album - song, and the songs don't have a consistant naming scheme.
Dell Inspiron 5150 (laptop)
Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
512 RAM
Radeon 9000 64 mb
Windows XP SP1 Home
Winamp 5.0 RC
ACtually, on closer inspection, it appears to play the song 2 down in the playlist, and to be doing it for most of my music, if not all.
Old 27th November 2003, 06:33   #272
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Still cannot reproduce.
Provide instructions on how to reproduce.
Old 27th November 2003, 13:34   #273
Bh420

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Can't reproduce.

What are your settings in Winamp Prefs -> Video?
Are "resize video window to fit video" and "lock aspect ratio" checkmarked/unchecked?

btw, you're another one who didn't post according to the regulations set out by Dazog (and me) in the first post in this thread. No system specs, Windows OS, or method of reproduction (which skin - modern/classic/other, whether the video window is attached or detached, details of the video file format, etc)
Winamp Version: 5.0 RC8
System Specs: AthlonXP 2700+ Asus A7N8X Deluxe 512mb ram
Windows OS: Windows 2000 SP4
video card: Geforce 2 Pro 64mb w/ 52.16 Dets
sound card: OnBoard Nvidia soundstorm Deluxe Dolby Digital
DirectX 9.0b
No 3rd Party Plugins
Using modern default skin
Resize to fit video is checked
video window is attached
the videos are divx and xvid clips havent tested with mpeg clips

1. Open video clip let it finish playing
2. open another video clip with diffrent resolution and/or ar

1st clip is 512x384 2nd is 576x240
tho any two clips with diffrent resolutions will do it

video window stays the same size as old window size

hope this help DJ Egg
Old 27th November 2003, 14:21   #274
gadasch

Start Menu Shortcuts

Winamp 5.0 RC8 Modern Skin
WinXP Pro SP1
Intel Pentium-M 1.3GHz
60Gb HDD
512MB RAM

First install of any Winamp 5.0 (upgraded directly from Winamp 2.81). Install user had Administrator rights.

Start Menu Winamp folder not set to inherit permissions from parent folder, and installed to current user instead of All Users. Had to manually update Winamp folder permissions to inherit from parent and move shortcuts to All Users so that other users could access.

[Merged: (157795) --Sawg]
Old 27th November 2003, 16:19   #275
fabian

crashing rc8 after a while..

SPECS:
Winamp 5.0 RC8 Modern Skin
Win2003 Standard
AMD Athlon-XP 2000+
200+ Gb HDDs
786MB DDR

FROM THE APPLICATION EVENT VIEWER:
>>>
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Description:
Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.0.0.0, faulting module gen_ff.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0003353f.
<<<

I installed RC8 on nov 24th, and in the last 4 days 3 crashes. This only happens after having/leaving winamp open for many hours.

Now i've removed my gen_ff.dll, wanna check if error still occurs.
But because the only ways to reproduce (thus far) is by waiting for hours, i'll know more in the coming 2 days.

-- FOR THE REST: RESPECT TO THE WINAMP DEVELOPERS! --
Old 27th November 2003, 16:24   #276
zao

ok when you turn on always on lite step virtual desktop winamp will crash when you restart it with the modern skin. i haven't tested it with other skins.

i am using lite step 0.24.7 rc1
Old 27th November 2003, 16:45   #277
zao

like to add that it would fault in gen_ff.dll and it works ok with the classic skin
Old 27th November 2003, 20:03   #278
InvertedParadox

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Still cannot reproduce.
Provide instructions on how to reproduce.
No idea, I've no idea how I did it. I have recently added a lot of music to my computer, and messed around with file organisation and added and deleted files, so maybe that somehow messed it up. I reinstalled winamp and now it works fine.
Old 28th November 2003, 00:47   #279
MrEisbaer

I Don't know if someone else write it, but i have found a MP3 Tag Bug at WA5 RC8. If i enter the Artist and Songname, update these informations and play the file, Winamp does not show the MP3 Tag Information, but the Filename (e.g. 14 - Delta Goodrem - Will You Fall For Me).

Winamp3 and 2.91 shows the MP3 Tag Information correct.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm not so good in english
Old 28th November 2003, 01:24   #280
RaveN-FH-

Re: some more random problems (doh)

Quote:
Originally posted by RaveN-FH-
this is winamp rc8.

1) classic or modern skin
2) turn random on
3) remove all (from playlist editor)
4) add dir (from playlist editor)
5) play

doing this will cause the first file in the playlist to always be played instead of a random one.

note that choosing "file->play folder" from the main window of the modern skin does not have this problem. the bug is specific to the above method.
dj egg: did you see this? was it reported?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports