Old 20th November 2010, 01:38   #1
houking

Fail to initialize DirectX when starting visualization

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I checked the version of DirectX. It's DirectX 11. Yet when I start the visualization in Winamp, it always tells me failed to initialize DirectX 9.0 or later. I have the latest DX which comes with Windows 7, but I can't use the visualization.

I'm just guessing that it might have something to do with my video card, which is ATI Radeon 9550. This card supports only DX 9.0. It might not work properly with DX 11. Is that the problem. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
houking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 01:43   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Usually the Winamp installer directly downloads and updates the required DirectX 9 files.

Windows 7 has DirectX 11, that's right, but DirectX 9 and 11 are both part of Windows 7
and MilkDrop requires specific files for 9.0, same for the Winamp Video OSD.

So probably your DirectX 9 files need an update.
Download the Microsoft auto updater:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

It will automatically update all relevant files. Addiotnally make sure, that you use latest graphic drivers.

MilkDrop only supports DirectX 9 effects and Pixel shader, so it has nothing to do with your card. Even a DirectX 8 card would work, because then Milkdrop simply wouldn't show the 9.0 specific presets.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 04:03   #3
houking

Thanks for the help Koopa.

I'm downloading the auto updater you suggested to see what will do. As you explained, DX 9 and 11 are both part of Windows 7, then why don't Microsoft include DX 9 and other versions in Windows setup in the first place?
houking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 10:40   #4
Piyush.supi

When Winamp displayed that message, I downloaded direct X from Windows website. And the problem went away.
Piyush.supi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support