Old 7th March 2017, 08:45   #1
chinagreenelvis

MP4 Crash/Freeze/Hang

Got a bunch of music videos and I've noticed that I'm getting crashes when certain MP4 files play. Using 5.666 pro, latest build, fully patched. I've tried both with and without K-Lite installed, as well as using in_mp4 vs in_dshow.

I haven't yet been able to figure out what the difference is between the working files and the non-working files, but I'm trying to narrow it down using K-Lite's MediaInfo.

Here is a non-working file. It plays, but causes Winamp to hang.

http://chinagreenelvis.com/fileshare...s/test/Bad.mp4

For contrast, here is a working file.

http://chinagreenelvis.com/fileshare.../test/Good.mp4

Any help is appreciated.
chinagreenelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 09:45   #2
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
The only help I can offer is to say that MP4 video can be played in Winamp, but it would be better to use a proper video player, such as VLC or MPC.

Or you can add MP4 as a DirectShow extension in Winamp and let the decoders in your OS take over (if you have installed MP4 CoDecs).

My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 19:40   #3
chinagreenelvis

Unfortunately, I'm working specifically with Winamp on purpose for a project. I do normally use MPC.

And I've tried using in_dshow instead, as stated (remove associated extensions from in_mp4 and then add them to in_dshow), but the interesting thing is that the bad MP4 file still causes a freeze... so it seems that the problem is unrelated to which decoder is being used.

The problem isn't limited to the one file, either. There seem to be a handful of MP4 files in the collection that cause the issue. Again, I haven't yet determined what characteristics they all have in common, but I'm working on it.

My next step will be to try with a) older versions of Winamp and b) a fresh install of Winamp.
Old 7th March 2017, 21:31   #4
chinagreenelvis

Interesting.

I've narrowed the problem down to the AMIP plugin (gen_irc.dll). Disabling the plugin in the options menu stops the freeze, as does removing the dll. Going to try the recommended javascript options program to see if there's something else I can disable internally. I'll also contact the author.
Old 8th March 2017, 20:15   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

I've never installed the "gen_irc.dll" plug-in which is probably why I've never experienced the issues you were having. What does that plug-in do? Have you been able to determine what is common among the mp4 files that are affected?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support