Old 22nd June 2006, 21:31   #1
dragonchi26

Creative Zen Vision: M Support

I have just recently bought a Creative Zen Vision:M Mp3 player from Future Shop, and in order for me to get my playlists on it, I have to re-create it completely using its own software because it doesn't support Winamps playlist files. Now I dont know if Winamp can do something about that or if its CreativeLabs problem, But apparentely there is Winamp support for iPods. So I figure Creative Mp3 players can to. I'd like to be able to just drag over my playlist from winamp and the device to accept it. I know it "sortof" works with WMP, but that program has A LOT of issues and it just blows compared to winamp. So please, if anything can be done about this, I'd appreciate it. As would anyone else who has one of these players. because they are just incredible.

Thank you
dragonchi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 06:14   #2
Vision:M-hairy

On the contrary....

A week ago my Creative Nomad Jukebox "80GB" died. I replaced it with the new Zen Vision:M 60GB. It's great...! If you're serious about your car stereo, I suggest you buy the Creative A/V Cable which plugs in to the dongle that goes in the bottom & use an AUX input on your head unit, rather than use an FM transmitter. Mine works great this way.

Also, although the new Zen unit doesn't come with a mains charger, the old Nomad one I have works fine. Plus the car charger is of course compatible too. Hence if you can pick them up cheap, go for it.

The only thing bad about the unit is that the Creative SW is a load of CRAP. It took me hours to load my 70GB of MP3 files in to the PC music library. I had to add them bit-by-bit, as it would crash over & over during the import. Hours past as I uninstalled (& rebooted each time) & then reinstalled, etc, etc, reboot, reboot, etc, etc...(all suggestions from their tech support in Malaysia..) Then (hours later) I created some playlists & tried to sync them with the unit. Surprise, surprise - the SW (Creative MediaSource 5.01.25) kept crashing over & over & would not sync.

So I tried the latest Winamp (5.32). It imported all my music in one go. I recreated my playlists & it saw my Zen straight away. It sync'd easily with the Zen. Thanks Winamp...!!!! Great device support - works first time...!

...& "F_ck You" to the programmers at Creative. You must all die in pain & darkness & worms, etc...
Vision:M-hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 10:53   #3
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Glad you like it

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 11:22   #4
dragonchi26

where is it?

Um, i looked at the list of the portable device plug-ins that were in the new winamp. and the ONLY one there is for the jukebox or "Creative NJB". so where is this "supposed" zen vision M support. cause i dont see it.
Old 27th November 2006, 15:21   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The Creative plugin (pmp_njb) works for all Creative players with v1.x firmware.
For 2.x firmware, pmp_p4s (playsforsure device support) is used instead.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 16:10   #6
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

all creative players with colour screens use pmp_p4s. I have a creative vision M, and it works fine with pmp_p4s.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 16:41   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ahh! Cool
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 21:19   #8
dragonchi26

how does it work?

ok, in that case. what exactly can be done, and how. Is it a matter of click and drag or what? an elaberate answer would be appreciated.
Old 4th December 2006, 09:57   #9
Vision:M-hairy

Re: how does it work?

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonchi26
ok, in that case. what exactly can be done, and how. Is it a matter of click and drag or what? an elaberate answer would be appreciated.
Sure,

I use the genre field in my MP3s to reflect what playlist or sub-playlist I want (never trusted the SW DBs to store it after I lost the data once )

So recreating my playlists in Winamp takes 10 secs. Another 10 secs after plugging in my Zen, it appears under portables. I then select a playlist in the LHS pane (displaying it's contents in the RHS), then right-click & send-to & scroll down to select my Zen. Then I click on the Zen (LHS pane) & it shows a list of files it's transfering.

Grain of salt here but I think the tranfering window is a bit flakey (% resets when you hit "clear" during large playlist sync) I think it's resetting the "percentage of files transferred" counter as you hit clear list - ahhh, not how I would design it. Anyway, nothing evil to report.
It works fine, super fast transfer. The only hassle is that you need to select only one playlist at a time. If you select several playlists, it seems to ignore all but the first. So you just have to transfer them one at a time. Maybe there's a way around this but after the Creative Bloatware problems, it's a dream come true in comparison....

I actually tried a click & drag but it didn't work. Having never liked mice anyway, I just ignored the problem & found another way (above). Hohum....
Vision:M-hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist