Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 10th August 2011, 21:19   #1
Segaja

connection rejected. Bad icy header string [icy-name:]

Hi,

I have set up a SHOUTcast 2 server and a user wants to stream into it.

He can't connect and the log says:

connection rejected. Bad icy header string [icy-name:]

I have set the titleformat value in the config which, according to the docs, should be used as icy-name if the client doesn't provide one.

How can I fix this problem?

Best regards
Segaja
Segaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 10:50   #2
DrO

the source needs to provide a title as 'titleformat' isn't even considered at stage in the connection. i suppose if there is a value for 'titleformat' then 'icy-name' could be allowed through as an empty key-pair. will make a note to possibly get this changed but you'll be better getting them to ensure there is a title speciifed, even if it's just 'a' or something inane.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 20:54   #3
Segaja

What is the point of the titleformat setting if it is not taken as default value?

The person who is streaming into the server is not using the DSP 2 but the program butt.
He tells me he can't find a setting in there to set the icy-name value.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:15   #4
DrO

it had to be butt that was being used. that thing is what it's name is.

the information can be entered via the 'stream infos' section on the settings dialog (though the layout / naming is easy to miss). however, the v2 DNAS would still reject the stream if just the description in the butt settings is set, since it'll fail on genre and url fields which are required.

all i know is that titleformat was something in the v1 DNAS and so was implemented into the v2 DNAS (before my time of working on the tools) so i don't really know without trying if this is the same behaviour or not as the v1 DNAS exhibits. i do know that the v2 DNAS is generally more strict in it's handling of the SHOUTcast protocols which catches out some incomplete / poorly implemented sources.

i have however logged it as something to work on so that the source connection will be allowed through if icy-name is empty and titleformat is not empty as well as icy-url is empty and urlformat is not empty for the next v2 DNAS release (no eta). i can only apologise for the inconvenience but as few people wanted to use the v2 DNAS when it was in beta, these things do unfortunately slip through but will be resolved.

-daz
Old 11th August 2011, 21:44   #5
Segaja

We will try this with the 'stream infos' dialog in butt next week.

I'm not the fan of using betas in a "production system" either, but we had serious problems with DNAS 1.9.8 on our 64bit ubuntu server which are not present with the 64bit version of DNAS 2 so i have no choice.

Thanks for taking this up. So the conclusion is that for now titleformat and urlformat are nothing but relict settings from DNAS v1.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:49   #6
DrO

titleformat and urlformat are used on v1 and v2 sources, but only once the source has been allowed to connect which obviously if there's nothing to replace will get it blocked. i don't disagree that it isn't counter intuitive and hence it will be changed.

i've a feeling it was assumed that those values would always have something specified for them (which is a fair assumption) but then i guess butt was never considered.

either way it'll be resolved, just keep an eye on http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324877 which is updated when there is a new release (is done a bit quicker than the main site downloads).

-daz
Old 11th August 2011, 21:58   #7
Segaja

Ok thanks. I appreciate that you take it up.

Btw. what about other clients like Edcast?
Old 11th August 2011, 23:02   #8
jaromanda
Forum King

Personally, I wouldn't use edcast on DNAS v2, edcast is rubbish

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 10:17   #9
DrO

Segaja: what OS version of the v2 DNAS are you running on? need to know so i can provide you the required test build to try out.

-daz
Old 12th August 2011, 16:37   #10
swissdancenation

Same problem here! works with the transcoder but not with direct connection to the DNAS.
Windows server sided, OSX on client side...
swissdancenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 16:59   #11
DrO

swissdancenation: will pm you a win32 build of the DNAS shortly.
[edit]
sent the pm now.

-daz
Old 13th August 2011, 17:40   #12
Segaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Segaja: what OS version of the v2 DNAS are you running on? need to know so i can provide you the required test build to try out.

-daz
Linux 64 bit
Old 19th August 2011, 15:03   #13
DrO

Segaja: pm sent with a test build, apologies in the delay (really had thought i'd already sent it).

swissdancenation: please can you check my reply to your last pm please - need more information as you seem to have had issues with the prior test build sent (is an older version of what i've just sent Segaja).

-daz
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:37   #14
Segaja

Hi DrO,

sorry for the delay, but I didn't had much time lately.

We tested the version you send me and now a butt user can stream onto the server, but only if he has no description set. If the butt source sets a description (in our case "bla") he is rejected:

connection rejected. Bad icy header string [bla]

Best regards
Segaja
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:54   #15
DrO

rightio, will test that out. though might be easier to just ban connections coming from butt (but that'd be evil on my part, heh).

-daz
Old 27th August 2011, 17:15   #16
Daniel Nöthen

Hi,

yes, blocking butt would be very evil.

I'm the developer of butt and found this thread while searching for a solution of exactly the problem which is being discussed here.
For my defense I have to say that I haven't found a description of the shoutcast protocol (DNAS v1?) when I started the development of butt. So I took a network sniffer and looked what the winamp dsp plugin was sending to a shoutcast server, implemented it in butt and did some testing. And it worked like a charm until now.
You could contact me, if you have any advice on how to implement the DNAS v1 protocol correctly.
Daniel Nöthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 18:46   #17
Segaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Nöthen View Post
Hi,

yes, blocking butt would be very evil.

I'm the developer of butt and found this thread while searching for a solution of exactly the problem which is being discussed here.
For my defense I have to say that I haven't found a description of the shoutcast protocol (DNAS v1?) when I started the development of butt. So I took a network sniffer and looked what the winamp dsp plugin was sending to a shoutcast server, implemented it in butt and did some testing. And it worked like a charm until now.
You could contact me, if you have any advice on how to implement the DNAS v1 protocol correctly.
We are speaking about problems with a DNAS v2 beta not with a DNAS v1.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:57   #18
neralex
Major Dude

yes. the problem with DNAS2 and butt is the implementation of the DNAS v1 protocol. daniel needs the info to fix this issue. we have the same problem with butt. we have contacted daniel, to read this forums for a chance to make butt ready für shoutcast2.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:58   #19
DrO

Daniel Nöthen: i guess my slight sarcasm on the matter was lost in my comment about blocking it. firstly, i need to make sure that the v2 DNAS is handling things correctly since things are being incorrectly blocked with what butt can send - i've just not had the time on my end due to the recent site issues.

there's no true docs provided, have been meaning to try to sort out the ones i have found, but v1 isn't a focus of development anymore - being a true v2 source (which is documented at http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...otocol_Details) would be a big advantage if you're wanting to be more popular (am mentioning this if butt is still being developed).

however the main thing from my tests with butt is that it's just a pain to setup the full information for the stream i.e. it seems like an after thought to be able to enter it rather than being a core thing (as it is) like with the server address, etc. from what i can tell, you're providing all of the options which can be entered to be sent, but the defaults are effectively empty which is what lead to the initial reports of the v2 DNAS rejecting client connections - not something i'd seen in testing as i'd only ever used it when testing DJ connection issues to the Transcoder.

once i've checked the issues in the v2 DNAS are resolved, i can then answer any questions and point you at what the sensible defaults for different things should be to alleviate client connection issues.

Segaja: the v2 DNAS isn't beta anymore and hasn't been since July 31st.

-daz
Old 29th August 2011, 07:06   #20
Segaja

Quote:
Segaja: the v2 DNAS isn't beta anymore and hasn't been since July 31st.

-daz
Ah I see. Sorry, I didn't realized that.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:11   #21
Daniel Nöthen

Hi DrO,

no, the sarcasm wasn't lost. I just wrote in an sarcastic way back.

You are right with your guess that I implemented the information fields with a very low
priority.
And yes, implementing the new protocol would be the cleanest solution, but butt isn't actively developed anymore.
The new protocol is quite complex and seems to need a lot more time than an hour to get implemented.
So if you got any further with your debugging, shout it out here

Daniel
Old 30th August 2011, 20:48   #22
DrO

didn't realise it's not actively developed anymore (and now see there's an inactive status on the project page - i only heard about it from a number of german users reporting bugs with the official v2 tools whilst in beta stages.

from what i can tell from my earlier tests (still haven't had a chance to properly work through things from my last post), butt can provide all of the information needed, it's just not obvious to a lot of people (even to me to start with).

-daz
Old 6th September 2011, 23:15   #23
DrO

as a follow up on this thread now i've had a chance to look at the issue again, the additional problem where it's not working if a description is specified is only affecting the non-windows test builds - am looking to get new test builds out for that tomorrow (hopefully).

--------------------------------------

as for butt, from what i can tell it's working correctly (once you rule out bugs with the v2 implementation for v1 sources which is a bit ironic really).

seeing as it's now not really supported / developed, i'm not too sure what else to say since it does work ok, it's probably more on the onus of the stations that people using butt for them as a dj / source need to ensure that all appropriate info fields are implemented which is primarily:
  • station name / description [icy-name]
  • station / info url [icy-url]
  • genre [icy-genre]
the most sensible option (if possible) is to have butt default to something sensible for the default values which is generally:
  • icy-name - this can be anything sensible e.g. the Source DSP uses "Unnamed Server"
  • icy-url - www.shoutcast.com
  • icy-genre - Misc

optionally defaults for the following would also be a sensible option (though i know it's generally not used with the v2 DNAS now):
  • icy-aim - N/A
  • icy-icq - 0
  • icy-irc - N/A
other than that, as long as people enter what is needed and work with (the to come fixed v2 DNAS) then there should hopefully be no more issues with using it as a source with the v2 DNAS.

[edit]
hmm, maybe not a fix as soon as i'd have thought. it seems the icy-* values from butt is coming in parts which is received as a single line on the windows DNAS version, but for the non-windows DNAS, that's an issue (and not something i've seen with other sources beforehand) since it's then trying to process icy-name: and then bla instead of icy-name:bla

a quick look at the butt source code seems to match with that with it doing multiple sends instead of fully forming the string to send in one go and just sending that complete. so not sure if this is something i should try to fix in the v2 DNAS or try to make a patch for butt so that can be fixed properly (along with changing of the default values).

something for me to sleep on i guess...

-daz
Old 20th September 2011, 16:38   #24
DrO

as an update, have finally had a chance to properly look at this issue and i've fixed (i hope) the v2 DNAS to cope with how butt (and possibly other sources work when sending parts of the icy-* headers instead of all as one line at a time).

Segaja and swissdancenation have now been sent test builds to try out.

-daz
Old 12th November 2011, 19:44   #25
neralex
Major Dude

Quote:
as an update, have finally had a chance to properly look at this issue and i've fixed (i hope) the v2 DNAS to cope with how butt (and possibly other sources work when sending parts of the icy-* headers instead of all as one line at a time).

Segaja and swissdancenation have now been sent test builds to try out.

-daz
hey daz, can you send me this dnas build, too? we need the butt fix!

greets
Old 13th November 2011, 20:49   #26
DrO

you'll have to remind me what platform version of the DNAS you'd need (though it's a bit in-between things so might cause you issues by using one of my dev builds).

-daz
Old 15th November 2011, 05:35   #27
neralex
Major Dude

IT WORKS! thank you DrO
Old 30th November 2011, 17:46   #28
shuttleswo

Same problem with telos prostream

we received a new telos prostream device today and believe we are having the same problem
getting the stream to work.

-11-30 13:20:03 I msg:[SHOUTcast] DNAS/win32 v2.0.0.29 (Jul 31 2011) starting up...
2011-11-30 13:20:07 I msg:[SRC 172.30.10.197:57578 sid=1] SHOUTcast 1 source connection.
2011-11-30 13:20:07 E msg:[SRC 172.30.10.197:57578 sid=1] connection rejected. Bad icy header string [icy-url:]

would it be possible to get the newer builds to see if it resolves the issue?
shuttleswo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:18   #29
DrO

i'm not sure it would be the same issue since it was only something which affected people using linux versions of the v2 DNAS as the Windows version will work fine with how Butt was sending things.

i would firstly make sure that you've specified an url for the stream details as that's the common cause of that error appearing.

-daz
Old 1st December 2011, 13:17   #30
shuttleswo

telos

The telos config pages do not allow me to enter a URL; just the name and genre. they've sent me some beta firmware that hard codes in a URL entry (to their website) and it is working now - so it does seem similar to what's discussed above. so we are OK now but will definitely update as soon as the newer builds go gold. thanks for the response!
shuttleswo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:33   #31
DrO

rightio, that would make sense then since there's generally meant to be an url specified as the v2 DNAS is more strict in following that requirement so i may need to lessen it to improve legacy compatibility and just force it to a default url - though if you've got things working now then that shouldn't be too much off an issue (but will have a think about it).

-daz
Old 8th March 2012, 12:21   #32
rcweb

Has this been resolved?

I am using B.U.T.T. and am also still getting the "connection rejected" in the DNAS logs on my server.
rcweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 12:40   #33
DrO

a build with the fix in it has not been publically released.

-daz
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:56   #34
radbatik

DrO: I'm seeing this same issue and I'm wondering if there is an idea of when this will be publicly available. I'd also like to get a copy of the build with this fix, if you could provide it.

Thanks!

Edit: I neglected to mention that this is running in a Windows 64-bit environment.

Last edited by radbatik; 23rd March 2012 at 16:06. Reason: Added environment info.
radbatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 19:10   #35
sirmonkey

twice in a day...
have this fix for this been released yet?
2013-01-27 15:05:44 I msg:[SRC 192.168.1.6:57370 sid=1] SHOUTcast 1 source connection.
2013-01-27 15:05:44 E msg:[SRC 192.168.1.6:57370 sid=1] connection rejected. Bad icy header string [icy-name:]

I have a client that uses B.U.T.T. and some shitty instreamer bentix? thing ( i'm probably going to build a mini-itx or rase PI box to replace it once i get this shoutcast stuff figured out)

If its not publicly aviable, can i get the recent build? or someting? i'm running the linux shoutcast server package.

Thanks.

ps if it has been fixed. a screen shot of a working B.U.T.T. config would be a good idea ;-) i screen shot everything now adays.
sirmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 13:15   #36
DrO

there is no new public build with the fix available and i'm not giving out test builds for an issue which i know is already confirmed as fixed.

-daz
Old 5th May 2014, 08:25   #37
Daniel Nöthen

Hello guys,

butt development has been reactivated for a short amount of time and
finally I'm happy to tell you that the bug has been fixed in butt 0.1.13.
The icy strings are now sent at once and every empty icy field is filled with a "none".
That seems to make the DNAS v2 happy!

More at:
https://sourceforge.net/p/butt/news/

Daniel
Old 5th May 2014, 09:45   #38
DrO

it wasn't needed anymore as the DNAS had been updated to support things like butt was doing (which wasn't the only one doing it). and its better to leave fields blank instead of set as 'none' as that's more likely to pollute the SHOUTcast system with pointless information.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:54   #39
Daniel Nöthen

Well, I tested it with butt 0.1.12 and SHOUTcast DNAS/posix(linux x64) v2.2.1.109 (Nov 29 2013). It did not work. Also, leaving fields blank printed me errors. I can't remember exactly which, but filling the fields with contents, solved it. I'm sorry, that this possibly pollutes the SHOUTcast system
Old 5th May 2014, 10:41   #40
Daniel Nöthen

I just verified what the problem has been.
The DNAS v2 doesn't like fields to be empty, but it allows that fields are not transmitted at all.
Not transmitting every icy header breaks the DNAS v1, though. On DNAS v1 empty fields seem to be accepted. So, filling every field was the only way to be compatible to both DNAS versions.

If you would provide me a DNAS v1 protocol description that is verified to work on DNAS v1 and v2, I will implement it the correct way. Or is there already one that I just could not find on the web?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support