Old 29th May 2011, 14:20   #1
sAuhsoj

How to stream music via Winamp

Is there a way to stream my music library via winamp, in the same way as you can with WMP12? I only really want to do this over LAN but over WAN would be even better.
I have heard of something called ShoutCast, can that help me? All the tutorials seem to assume that you have some knowledge of ShoutCast - but I can't even get started.
sAuhsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:14   #2
DrO

you could use SHOUTcast to have a LAN based stream off what is being played in Winamp - which will work over WAN as long as the machine(s) can access the SHOUTcast server running. however, you'd need to also install the Source DSP so what you're playing could then be sent to the server.

otherwise there was Winamp Remote (now unsupported) which would do a similar thing and is a bit less techy in getting setup. otherwise i'd expect there's other solutions available to play files over a lan but they're the only 2 i'm basically aware off.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:24   #3
sAuhsoj

winamp remote sounds like exactly the thing I am looking for. Why is it 'now unsupported'? Could I use an older version of Winamp?
sAuhsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:33   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAuhsoj View Post
Why is it 'now unsupported'?
because it was basically a re-branded product from Orb and that agreement has now come to an end i believe. what is needed is still floating around and can be obtained from older Winamp installers (probably 5.58 i think) but if you go that route and there is a problem, there's not much Nullsoft / Orb will do about it.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support