Old 28th March 2012, 22:14   #1
Deleted #33

DNAS Test

Hello crowd,

It has come to my attention that I have a problem with people trying to listen on certain players, even Winamp. I don't have the specific error with me but it has something to do with the file .pls not being recognized by the players, in this case Windows Media and Winamp.

Now, before I continue a few caveats.

1) I'm a Mac guy so I don't know if WIndows Media plays .pls files.
2) I asked thinktink in a PM to check if my stream works in Winamp. He did and it did.
So, I don't want to bring it up again with him.

But, people using those two players are still getting errors.

What I would please like from you is for was many people as possible to test my station to see if it's working. I would like to hear from many OSs and players. This includes *nix boxes and gaming consoles as well. Firewalls. Without them.

My own test shows it works on the following Mac clients: iTunes, Audion, VLC and Quick Time but don't know if they work just because I'm on the same network.

My URL is bloodinthemix.com. Just click on the logo to listen.

I know this is a lot to ask. But, I really need your collective help. So, I will say it again.

Please?!

Thank you,
Old 29th March 2012, 12:05   #2
DrO

worked ok here in Winamp and VLC on Windows.

with the Winamp users having issues, i wouldn't be surprised if it's from them using older versions of Winamp which are being incorrectly treated as a v2 compatible client when they are not (i.e. anything in the 5.5 - 5.5x range, as only 5.6x correctly supports playback of v2 streams).

WMP doesn't have any support for pls files which would explain why that is failing for people. they'd need to replace .pls with .m3u with the link taken from the DNAS's listen link.

otherwise, the big problem is if people are not able to provide you with more specific details then there's not too much which can be done to determine the issue.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 18:54   #3
Deleted #33

Thanks for checking DrO. I will let them know. I have to supply an .m3u right? In addition to the .pls?
Old 29th March 2012, 19:31   #4
DrO

from your site you're already providing the /listen.pls for the stream from the DNAS. you'd just need to provide that link with pls changed to m3u and available or tell people what to do and then those using WMP will be able to work.

i do keep wondering if some sort of user-agent detection on that should redirect to the m3u link when a WMP user-agent is detected but then using user-agents can and does cause more issues than it's worth at times *shrugs*

-daz
Old 29th March 2012, 20:46   #5
Deleted #33

Okay I'm lost.

Do I just create an .m3u file and upload it to my server? And do _have_ to make a separate stream for it?
Old 29th March 2012, 21:08   #6
DrO

http://66.23.236.184:8000/listen.pls is the pls from the DNAS which is what i'm getting provided when i click on the main page of your site. and that link is what someone clicking on the 'listen' link at the top of http://66.23.236.184:8000/index.html?sid=1 will be provided (not having the ?sid=1 on the pls link defaults to stream #1 anyway).

so you would need to provide http://66.23.236.184:8000/listen.m3u or tell people to use that if they are using WMP. so you don't need to provide anything new yourself since the DNAS will provide you with the means to provide to people what they need if explicitly used.

-daz
Old 29th March 2012, 21:45   #7
Deleted #33

DrO

So the .pls and .m3u are included in the DNAS natively? I thought it was only .pls.

I just include a link to it and tell people about it using a display button or something.

I only make a separate stream if I want to go with a different bit rate?
Old 29th March 2012, 21:58   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchfiend View Post
So the .pls and .m3u are included in the DNAS natively? I thought it was only .pls.
the DNAS can provide a number of playlist formats and there are a few more to come in the next release (which are qtl and xspf to cover off pretty much all the main types i've seen other people offer to people).

the middle of http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...2#Public_Pages shows the playlists which are currently provided by the DNAS.

Quote:
I just include a link to it and tell people about it using a display button or something.
yup that's all which is needed.

Quote:
I only make a separate stream if I want to go with a different bit rate?
correct.

-daz
Old 29th March 2012, 23:06   #9
Deleted #33

Thanks a _lot_, DrO.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support