Old 28th October 2013, 07:34   #1
hdave

Time displayed is slightly slow

When I play a track, the elapsed time shown starts correct, but as the track continues, the time displayed increases slightly slower than how it should, as if it were a slow clock. By the end of the track, the elapsed time shown is a few seconds smaller than the actual length of the track. The difference seems to be about 1 second for every 3 minutes of a track.

The actual sound of the track is in the correct time, and the length of the song is also displayed correctly, it's just the elapsed time that is not. I can easily confirm the problem by starting a stopwatch when I play the track and comparing the times throughout the track. In the beginning it's correct, but in the end it's late.

Interestingly, if I slide the seeking bar to different positions, the time displayed is correct. For example, if I play a track from the beginning and start a stopwatch, I hear a specific sound in a song at 3:00 according to the stopwatch, but Winamp shows 2:59. However, if I slide the seeking bar to a few seconds before 3:00, I hear the same specific sound when Winamp shows 3:00.

I'm using Winamp Lite, playing MP3 files. They are not VBR. This is not a new problem, it's something that I've noticed for many years. I don't think it's exclusive to my system because I've seen this problem in all versions of Winamp I've had and in different computers throughout the years. I'm surprised that almost no one else has noticed it.

It's a minor problem, but it becomes annoying when I use a synchronized lyrics plugin such as Minilyrics. Each line is supposed to appear at a specific time to match what is being sung at that point. The plugin seems to use Winamp's elapsed time to know when to display each line of the lyrics, so by the end of the song the lines appear clearly late. Again, if I slide the seeking bar the synchronization becomes correct. I do not see this problem when using the same plugin with other MP3 players, so the problem is really with Winamp.
hdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:00   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
have you run the mp3s thru mp3val?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 23:58   #3
hdave

I downloaded mp3val and ran the MP3 files as you suggested. Some files had minor problems, which I repaired, but others files were already OK. However, the problem of the slow time displayed persists in all files.

As I wrote, I have seen this problem for many years, with many files, different versions of Winamp and different computers. I believe the problem is really with Winamp. It doesn't happen with other players. You can try to reproduce the problem yourself, just play any track of at least 3 minutes and start a stopwatch at the same time, then compare the times near the end of the track. Or just notice how the time displayed when the track ends is slightly less than the track length. Hasn't anyone else ever seen this problem?
Old 30th October 2013, 00:09   #4
DrO

without any knowledge of your Winamp install (i.e. an info report needs to be provided when posting issues -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins), i'd have to speculate that you're using a modern skin and between it and the lyrics plug-in querying Winamp too often, it is causing the UI to lag which causes the skin timer to drift (which would match with it coming back to where it should be on seeking).

so yes it might be Winamp at fault purely down to how it's UI is coded in combination with external aspects, but i'd also put the blame as likely being on the plug-in as well since most Winamp issues stem from (old) 3rd party plug-ins.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 09:11   #5
hdave

Sorry, here is my info report.
-Plugins: only those included in Winamp (I had Minilyrics before, but I uninstalled it and the problem persists)
-PC: HP Pavilion a800n (my old desktop, from 2005), HP G60-244DX (my laptop, from 2009)
-CPU & RAM: AMD Athlon XP 3200 2.20GHz 448MB (desktop), AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 2.00GHz 3.00GB (laptop)
-Sound card: Realtek AC'97 (desktop), Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 (laptop)
-Video card: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (desktop), Nvidia GeForce 8200M (laptop)
-Windows: XP SP2 (desktop), Vista Home Basic SP1 (laptop)
-DirectX: 9.0c (desktop), 10 (laptop)
-Winamp: 5.65 Lite

I have observed the problem equally in my desktop and laptop. My report from the Winamp Info Tool is attached (from my desktop).

Thank you for trying to help, but I'm really using the most basic Winamp Lite configuration, right from the box. I just have the classic skin, I uninstalled the lyrics plugin and I don't have any other third-party plugins.

Really, this problem is very easy to reproduce, you don't even need the stopwatch that I mentioned earlier. Just download this MP3 file (9 minutes of silence) and let it play normally in Winamp, without moving the seeking bar. Come back after slightly less than 9 minutes and note the last time displayed when the track ends. I see 8:57. If you see the correct 9:00, I'll concede that the problem is with my configuration. If you think that the problem is with the file, just play it in another player to verify that it really ends in 9:00.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_30.10.2013.txt (15.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 30th October 2013, 15:00   #6
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdave View Post
Really, this problem is very easy to reproduce, you don't even need the stopwatch that I mentioned earlier. Just download this MP3 file (9 minutes of silence) and let it play normally in Winamp, without moving the seeking bar. Come back after slightly less than 9 minutes and note the last time displayed when the track ends. I see 8:57. If you see the correct 9:00, I'll concede that the problem is with my configuration. If you think that the problem is with the file, just play it in another player to verify that it really ends in 9:00.
Don't worry, you're not going crazy. I see the same behaviour with your test file and with others in my library.
fyi:
For your test file, Mp3tag shows a length of 9:03.
MediaInfo shows a duration of 9mn 2s in the audio section and a duration of 9mn 0s in the general section.

Sometimes, Winamp shows length (and bitrate) information that differs with other applications.
Bigger brains than mine can explain why.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 20:02   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
it would be interesting to test this with lossless files first, to set the benchmark, and using some very long files. (like 60min exactly of white noise made by audacity) then afterwards, compare lossy converts. the longer the file, the easier it should be to spot the issue.

I have noticed from time to time that winamp is not "exact" in the display vs the reality, but since most songs are pretty short its not too noticeable and I figured the display was just meant to be an approximation anyway.

I had a thread on here where DrO and I were trying to see if we could get the alt+3 windows to be more accurate in its timings. I think part of the problem is in headers for lossy files, and / or if silence is encoded, etc. it also might vary via input plugin.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports