Old 24th July 2001, 17:10   #1
packetloss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1
Hi there!

I have an up and running shoutcast 1.8.0. server on my Linux system. Streaming is done by a W2K maching by WinAmp.
Everything OK. Very happy that it was running in a couple of minutes!

My question: In the readme I saw I've to stream 'the stream' to my Linux server with Winamp. Is there another possibility? I want to kick my W2K machine and am looking for some kind of app to 'feed' the shoutcast server. I want the program to run on the _same_ machine as the server, so I need a Linux program. There isnt a WinAmp for Linux (as far as know). Anybody?

Thanx in advance,

Packetloss
drwhois@hotmail.com

packetloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 10:01   #2
ExWing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Hey people, I don't want to play grave-digger, but what "packetloss" describes above is exactly what is the case for me:
We have Shoutcast running on our Linux server in order to let it stream the audio files. But since it's a Linux-server, Winamp cannot be installed there. So we need another program that can be installed on the server, in order to allow us to do everything from the server without the need to have a PC running all the time and feeding the server.
Is there anything like this? And if not, is there another option, like a online based program / DJ we can give our music / records to and it feed our Shoutcast with it?
I hope this wasn't asked in any other place before, but as far as the search-function there was nothing quite like this.
Anyway, I hope you can help me.
Best wishes
ExWing
ExWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 13:09   #3
jaromanda
Forum King
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Under the bridge
Posts: 2,289
shoutcast transcoder v2

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 13:48   #4
ExWing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
shoutcast transcoder v2
Hey Jaromanda, thanks for your quick reply!
Unfortunately you didn't give me much to work with
What exactly would the transcoder do for me? I'm sorry for my stupidity, but I am new to this topic and not experienced neither in streaming nor Linux.
Can you please plainly explain me what it will do, or what I have to do to make my SHOUTcast stream the media from my server?

I found this tutorial for the transcoder, but as far as I understand it, it will stream the media instead of SHOUTcast, or is it a tool to enable SHOUTcast to stream? And if yes, is there a player or something like this for me to install on the server in order to have an interface for the radio?
Any help is appreciated!

PS: I found a program called "Netjukebox". Could it serve my purpose instead of SHOUTcast, or is it something different?
ExWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 22:27   #5
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
sc_trans is a source for the DNAS server (sc_serv) which is what sources and listeners / clients connect to. as you need a DNAS server and a source (sc_trans, SAM, Winamp + Source DSP) to have a stream.

if you're wanting an all in one setup and go then trying to do SHOUTcast yourself is not going to be the solution - for that you would need to look into a hosting provider who will setup the DNAS and other things so you just have to connect a source or upload media to be used by an autodj (which sc_trans can do either) along with a control panel solution to manage things.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:02   #6
ExWing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Hey Daz, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
sc_trans is a source for the DNAS server (sc_serv) which is what sources and listeners / clients connect to. as you need a DNAS server and a source (sc_trans, SAM, Winamp + Source DSP) to have a stream.
So, reading your reply carefully I understood that I need the transcoder anyway in order to enable SHOUTcast to stream, and that in order to play songs, create playlists and so forth, I have to do it via the code ... which is, as you might have noticed, not my field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if you're wanting an all in one setup and go then trying to do SHOUTcast yourself is not going to be the solution - for that you would need to look into a hosting provider who will setup the DNAS and other things so you just have to connect a source or upload media to be used by an autodj (which sc_trans can do either) along with a control panel solution to manage things.
Is there any program that could provide a control interface and connect to SHOUTcast and let it stream, or is the only way to use the code? And if not, is there any other combination of programs I could use in order to stream and control my webradio from my own server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWing View Post
PS: I found a program called "Netjukebox". Could it serve my purpose instead of SHOUTcast, or is it something different?
Is this program of any use for the purpose of an internet radionstation?
I am sorry for my ignorance and I am sorry to annoy you with my problem, but please help...
ExWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:32   #7
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
what do you mean by 'code' ?

you need something which will be the source, be that the Transcoder or any other number of 3rd party source solutions which are able to create a SHOUTcast compatible stream. and a source can be another DNAS server.

I have no idea about 'Netjukebox' as i've never heard of it before and i don't know what it does / doesn't offer. maybe SHOUTcast isn't appropriate for you but it's really not clear what you're wanting to achieve.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:48   #8
ExWing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Hey daz, thanks once again for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
what do you mean by 'code' ?
I may have had the wrong choice of words. What I meant was that you have to write commands in a control panel or something like this, like the "cmd"-command for Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you need something which will be the source, be that the Transcoder or any other number of 3rd party source solutions which are able to create a SHOUTcast compatible stream. and a source can be another DNAS server.
Okay, this part is to high for me. You may already have broken it down to 'idiot-level', but still I don't fully get it. So I will illustrate my problem and I hope that you can see what I am missing:

So I got a server with Linux. This server hosts multiple websites and is able to stream. That is what I want to do with my webradio. But, I cannot install programs myself, I have to "order" them from my hoster, who will install them for me.
Anyway, as far as I understand the system of webradio, you have to have a program on the server to stream, a program on your PC and something like a plugin to connect them both. But I don't want to have the program on my PC, because I can't leave it on all 24h (electricity etc, also my internet is not the best here). So I wanted to install the program you usually install on your PC on the Server, so that I can tell it to play from the server.
Here an example I found:
Winamp (PC) --- (connects through a plugin) ---> SHOUTcast (Server)
But I wanted Winamp to be on the server as well - which doesn't work because the server runs on Linux. Sooooooo ... I'm a little bit lost.
This is propably one of dumbest things you have ever read, but this is really not matter.
ExWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:59   #9
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
if you've got to get the host to install things for you then i doubt you're going to be allowed to have the DNAS and sc_trans installed on it (a lot of hosts won't do it unless you're on a streaming specific package).

source + server is the basics of what is needed and they can be all on the same machine or on separate machines. Winamp + the DSP plug-in is just one possible source and sc_trans is another with sc_trans more appropriate for running on the same machine (and it configured to be an autodj so it'll play files on that host but allows direct source aka DJ connections).

in all honesty, i think this is all probably outside of your capabilities and if your host is going to have to install things (assuming they allow it) then they're the ones better off doing things than you.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 15:07   #10
ExWing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if you've got to get the host to install things for you then i doubt you're going to be allowed to have the DNAS and sc_trans installed on it (a lot of hosts won't do it unless you're on a streaming specific package).

source + server is the basics of what is needed and they can be all on the same machine or on separate machines. Winamp + the DSP plug-in is just one possible source and sc_trans is another with sc_trans more appropriate for running on the same machine (and it configured to be an autodj so it'll play files on that host but allows direct source aka DJ connections).
I was told the server was capable of streaming .... I think the information you gave me will be very useful for further work with this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
in all honesty, i think this is all probably outside of your capabilities and if your host is going to have to install things (assuming they allow it) then they're the ones better off doing things than you.
I agree 100% with what you say and already tried to explain the issue to them. Ironically, either they fail to understand my point or they don't know about it either. Anyway, I wasted enough of your time already. Thank you for your efforts!
ExWing
ExWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump