Old 6th June 2016, 20:38   #1
mookee

playlist save location for aftercrash scenario

hey

pc crashed (well, it was a mac actually), hdd is okay and all datas exist

but playlist havent been saved before crash. where to find them in XP using 5.63
and btw. how to get them back into a new winamp installation please!!))

thanks!

best c.
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 21:18   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

%APPDATA%\Winamp\Winamp.m3u8 if you mean the playlist editor playlist.

To prevent data loss you could use the Winamp Backup Tool:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Also note, that only 5.66 is supported in these forums:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=265777
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 03:55   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mookee,

You could also consider using the plug-in in this link for an extra layer of protection (http://winampplugins.co.uk/plu.html). The extra playlist copies are kept in the %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\gen_undo folder.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 09:16   #4
mookee

hey

that location saves the actually played playlist or the compilated playlist on the right side???

i need the right side playlists (plural)

thanks

best c.

(dont forget, we are talking xp!)
Old 8th June 2016, 16:47   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Koopa and I were talking about the active playlist in the Playlist Editor. If you are talking about the internal playlists shown in the media library panel, then those are saved in the %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists folder. %APPDATA% should work as a shortcut that points to the root folder where your user data is stored. If you are not using the OS's default folder for saving user data, then look for the "Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists" folder under the root folder you have selected to save your Winamp user data in.

The plug-in I linked to doesn't backup those playlists. It only works with the active playlist in the Playlist Editor window/panel. Koopa's Winamp Backup Tool is able to find and backup all of the Winamp data files (with it's automatic mode), or a subset of them (with it's custom mode).

Old 14th June 2016, 19:34   #6
mookee

hi

thanks..!.. so, if i gut that folder saved out from my hdd, can i just copy it into that plugin/etc. folder and at my next startup all ML playlists are restored and functional again (considering i will put my audio files at the same spot again..) ?

and am not shure if i get koopas (i love the movie!!) backuptool - will it help me to recreate my ml playlists with what i got (the complete old winampfolder from crashed os)

)
Old 15th June 2016, 04:10   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
hi

thanks..!.. so, if i gut that folder saved out from my hdd, can i just copy it into that plugin/etc. folder and at my next startup all ML playlists are restored and functional again (considering i will put my audio files at the same spot again..) ?
Yes, as long as what you saved is not corrupt and the files are returned to the same locations.

Quote:
and am not shure if i get koopas (i love the movie!!) backuptool - will it help me to recreate my ml playlists with what i got (the complete old winampfolder from crashed os)
The Backup Tool works with the zip file it creates. So it is protection for the next time you need to restore something. After you get everything working again, use it to make an automatic (full) or custom (incremental) backup anytime you change or add something to your configuration. This will allow restoring something easier.

Old 15th June 2016, 14:31   #8
mookee

hey

so i got that ...ml/ order and i have a big playlist file in it, but i also got many (maybe all) playlists in m3u but without real names.. shall i just copy those plus the playlistfile into the ML order and winamp will do the rest??????????

also, as am running on Paralells, i cant have the music on the same path as on my old installation.
it wont be on lets say H:user/music
it will be on X:Music now

as long as winamp will basicaly recreate the playlists anyway (even if it doesnt actualy find the files) it would be okay, as i would just use the missingplaylisteditor java fixingtool (which is pretty cool btw to fix them later

if i would guess i would say winamp will create them anyway, but what do you think?)

best c.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-15 um 16.21.12.png
Views:	141
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	52423  
Old 15th June 2016, 15:24   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

if i would guess i would say winamp will create them anyway, but what do you think?)

best c.
Winamp does not create media library playlists automatically. If you instruct it to, Winamp will create an internal playlist from the songs listed in the Playlist Editor and allow you to give the playlist a name.

The "playlists.xml" file and the playlists files with the alpha-numeric names (shown in your screenshot) must be in your user data Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists folder not the Winamp\Plugins\ml folder, as I said in post #5 above.

The playlists.xml file keeps track of the media library playlists that you create over time and the names you gave to the playlists (and see listed in the library) which are cross-referenced to the alpha-numeric names that Winamp gives to the internal playlists when they are actually saved.

After you have edited the playlists to fix the pathnames for the music files, you will be able to use the edited playlists (copied to the Playlist Editor) to play the music listed in them. During playback, the Playlist Editor will skip over any song listed that it can not find the corresponding file for.

Old 15th June 2016, 16:04   #10
mookee

so i have to first fix the alphanumeric playlists? NO!?!

as i unsderstand you, i just put the playlist.xml into the ML folder and presto, winamp recreates my (formaly unsaved!!) playlist (playlistname and tracknames) back into the medialibrary at next startup (allthough they wont actually work..) thats what i need...

the alphanumerics i dont need as i want to recreate unsaved playlists, right??)

not sooo easy

thanks for your patience ://
Old 15th June 2016, 16:51   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm having trouble understanding what you want.

I've tried to explain how Winamp works. The playlists.xml file must be in the Playlists sub-folder of the ML folder (as well as the alpha-numeric playlist files). And, yes the pathnames in the alpha-numeric playlist files have to be fixed (before or after you put them in the correct place).

If you want to make (or remake) an external (independent/separate from Winamp) playlist from an internal (alpha-numeric) playlist, load a corrected internal playlist in the playlist editor and then save it as an external playlist in a different folder (outside of the Winamp folder structure) and give it a name of your choice.

It does take time and patience to restore a playlist or re-create one that was not created as intended the first time, especially when the music files pathnames have changed.

Old 15th June 2016, 17:05   #12
mookee

well, i want my !unsaved! playlist restored into winamps ml for further fixing with "missing playlist filesFix.2.1.0"... so that i can delete them later again out of winamp in order to insert the fixed ones instead. the point kinda is that i didint save any playlists before the crash, so i need what has been there in the ml before i turned of winamp last time i used it...

i thought the alphas are shadows of manualy saved playlists....but that seems to be wrong...: so the alphas are the exact ml playlist of my last winamp end, and the playlist.xml is kind of the missing link that gives the alphas their name etc.

hope i got it now ?)
Old 15th June 2016, 17:41   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
well, i want my !unsaved! playlist restored into winamps ml for further fixing with "missing playlist filesFix.2.1.0"... so that i can delete them later again out of winamp in order to insert the fixed ones instead. the point kinda is that i didint save any playlists before the crash, so i need what has been there in the ml before i turned of winamp last time i used it...
External playlists that were never imported into Winamp as internal playlists do not need to be imported in order to fix them. Winamp knows nothing about them. Just use your playlist fixer app on them in whatever folders they are currently in.

If filesFix v2.1.0 is a Winamp plug-in or otherwise requires a playlist be internal to Winamp before it can be fixed, I suggest you use listFix() v.2.2.0 instead (http://listfix.sourceforge.net/).

Quote:
i thought the alphas are shadows of manualy saved playlists....but that seems to be wrong...: so the alphas are the exact ml playlist of my last winamp end, and the playlist.xml is kind of the missing link that gives the alphas their name etc.

hope i got it now ?)
Alphas are copies of manually saved playlists, but they do not reflect the exact ml playlist of the last Winamp session. The items listed in the Playlist Editor are saved when a Winamp session ends (and are re-listed there when Winamp is re-started), but that (last active) playlist may or may not contain the same items as an internal or external playlist that is listed in the media library. The last active playlist is the one Koopa was talking about in post #2 above.

When you import an external playlist to the media library, the current version of Winamp gives you a choice as to whether you want to make an internal copy or use the external playlist. If you right-click on the Playlists heading on the left side of the media library, you will see a couple of commands that let you import a single external playlist or a folder of external playlists. The window that opens for either command contains an option for making an internal copy(s) or using the external playlist(s).

If you choose to make an internal copy, then the copy is made of the external playlist as it exists at that time. If you later make changes to the same external playlist, those changes are not picked up by the internal playlist that was made earlier. If you want the internal playlist to be the same as the edited external playlist, then you need to delete the internal playlist and re-import the edited external playlist.

If you choose to use external playlists, then they will always list their current contents in the library view. If you change something in them and then refresh the library view, the view will show the change.

When using the media library to show external playlists be careful not to use a library command to delete them unless you really want the external playlists deleted. When you use a library command to delete an internal (copy) playlist, the external playlist it was made from is not affected.

If you want to use internal and external playlists, you have to keep track on your own of what names you used for each kind. The media library view just shows the playlist names and doesn't indicate if they are internal (copies with alpha-numeric names) or external. You can include something in the playlist name that lets you know.

Last edited by Aminifu; 15th June 2016 at 18:46.
Old 15th June 2016, 22:04   #14
mookee

oh aminifu, i know you mean it good and i realy appriciate your help!, but i dont get a word of it...please stay simple

all i want is to restore the unsaved medialibraryplaylist of my last winampexit, not any manually saved ones, as i last saved them 5 months ago...so, HOW please

i got every winamporder saved from the crashed pc. just replace the new playlist.xml with my old?

peace and please c.
Old 16th June 2016, 03:47   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
all i want is to restore the unsaved medialibraryplaylist of my last winampexit,
I don't know what you mean by "medialibraryplaylist". Maybe a screenshot of your skin showing the place where this playlist would be displayed, would help me understand.

Maybe you need help from someone who speaks your native language.

Old 16th June 2016, 08:30   #16
mookee

with the medialibrary playlists i just mean the those playlist which are on the right side at my setup... not the open playlist on the left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischena.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	715.8 KB
ID:	52424  
Old 16th June 2016, 11:57   #17
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

On the right side is the playlist editor. No media library playlists.

So you need one file Winamp.m3u8.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 14:28   #18
mookee

oh sorry, am legastenic i ment the left side lol

so i do mean the media library playlists, in my setup left!!
Old 16th June 2016, 15:47   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

What you're showing in your screenshot on the left side are the results of a smart-view search. A smart-view lists items associated with a pre-determined filter. Every time you select a smart-view the whole media library is searched for items that match the filter.

I assume "Am meisten gespielt" means 'most often played'. Anyway, that list of items is also shown on the right side in the playlist editor window. Everything Winamp plays (selected from a smart-view, playlist, or a file manager like Windows Explorer) is copied to the Winamp playlist editor before playback begins.

If Winamp is shutdown normally, the list of items in the playlist editor is saved and re-displayed when Winamp is restarted. That is the 'playlist' Koopa has been talking about and it is also saved by the plug-in I linked to in post #3 above. That plug-in can be setup to try and save the state of this playlist when Winamp crashes. I use this plug-in to recover from (undo) changes to this playlist that I made by accident or recover from changes I've changed my mind about.

On the left side of your screenshot, further down from "Am meisten gespielt" is "Playlisten". Those items listed under "Playlisten" are the 'media library playlists' that I have been talking about. From what you showed in the screenshot in post #8 above, your media library playlists appear to be the internal kind.

The usage information necessary to display what you see in the "Am meisten gespielt" smart-view is saved in the media library database files. Even if you are able to recover these files from your crashed installation, it will not be possible for the "Am meisten gespielt" smart-view to display the same items it was displaying when the crash happened, because the files are no longer in the same locations.

Special software and knowledge is needed to 'edit' recovered media library database files and change the pathnames for all the file records in the database.

Sorry, you will have to rebuild a list of 'most often played' items, over time, as you play stuff.

Winamp identifies a file by it's name and location. All file usage data (last date and time played, number of times played, etc.) is referenced to a file's name and location. So when a file's location changes, all usage data tracking associated with that file starts all over again.

I should have asked for a screenshot a long time ago. I hope I have finally answered your question.

Old 16th June 2016, 16:33   #20
mookee

i dont mean the smartviews, i get their function..

i mean those beneath called playlisten: , "faith", "argentinia" etc. those are personal created playlists i made with "create new playlist" , then i gave them a name and then iput tracks in em from time to time, but only occasionaly save them as zb. faith.m3u at my harddrive
Old 16th June 2016, 16:49   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
i mean those beneath called playlisten: , "faith", "argentinia" etc. those are personal created playlists i made with "create new playlist" , then i gave them a name and then iput tracks in em from time to time, but only occasionaly save them as zb. faith.m3u at my harddrive
Sorry, I've already explained what to do with those and how they work, as clearly as I can. If you make changes to them and don't re-save them, then those changes are lost (crash or no crash).

Your screenshot highlighted a smart-view and showed it's listing in the playlist editor. How was I supposed to know from that, that you were talking about a media library playlist, after-all?

Old 16th June 2016, 17:09   #22
mookee

how can it be that any usaved changes in my playlist get lost if i dont save them , when i can restart winamp and those changes are still kept.... you know, u dont have to save a ml playlist to have it on next startup...so winamp must save manualy unsaved changes somewhere insinde itself ! thats what i need, where is it stored, how to get it in again

i know u allready explained (even thought it seems now you explained something else as you now say it doesnt work), but somehow my following question then: what happens if i cant get the orderstucture back the way it was o my old system - was lost in translation..

.)

so one more time: ...thats what i need, where is it stored, how to get it in again (and how does it matter if i cant get orderstucture like on old system)
Old 16th June 2016, 17:42   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
how can it be that any usaved changes in my playlist get lost if i dont save them , when i can restart winamp and those changes are still kept.... you know, u dont have to save a ml playlist to have it on next startup...so winamp must save manualy unsaved changes somewhere insinde itself ! thats what i need, where is it stored, how to get it in again
The media library playlists that you create and save are still there. If you make changes to them and don't re-save all those that were changed, then what you see on next startup are the original playlists and the edited ones that were re-saved, and not the edited ones that were not re-saved.

The only 'playlist' that Winamp automatically tries to save (when Winamp is shutdown normally) is the list that is being displayed in the playlist editor window (or would be if that window is open).

Quote:
... (and how does it matter if i cant get orderstucture like on old system)
Winamp keeps track of each file by it's name and location.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, if you don't care about accurate usage data and you have setup Winamp to save a file record in the media library whenever you play a file. In the latter case, Winamp will update the record for a file that is in the same location when it is played again, but it will create a new record for a file that is not in the same location when it is played again.

Winamp will ignore the records of files that are not where the records say the files should be. These ignored records waste space in the media library database and slow down some processing (like searching for stuff). So you can also setup Winamp to automatically remove missing files from the media library (i.e. delete the records for files that are not in the locations the records say they are in).

In other words, say you have a song file by artist "abc" title "xyz" in a particular folder and you played it 10 times. Then you copy the song file to another folder and play it 5 more times from the new location. Now you open a smart-view that shows artist, title, and number of plays.

You would expect to see: abc xyz 15 , since you played the same song 15 times.

Instead you would see: abc xyz 10 on 1 line and abc xyz 5 on another line, because the same file was played from 2 different locations and it exists in 2 different locations.

Or instead of copying the file to a new location after 10 plays, you move it instead and play it 5 more times from the new location. Then the smart-view would show: abc xyz 5. The record of the same file that was played 10 times is not shown because Winamp would consider that file to be missing and ignore the record. Or that record would no longer exist if the option to remove missing files was enabled.

Last edited by Aminifu; 16th June 2016 at 19:30.
Old 16th June 2016, 20:51   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Another note on saving edited media library playlists.

If you copy an internal media library playlist to the playlist editor, make changes, and then just save the edited playlist back to the media library using the same name, you will end up with 2 playlists in the media library with the same name (the original and the edited one). The edited playlist will not automatically overwrite the original playlist with the same name.

The original playlist name shown in the media library will still be internally associated with an internal playlist with it's original alpha-numeric name and the edited playlist (shown with the same name in the media library) will be associated with another internal playlist with a different alpha-numeric name.

You need to delete the playlist name in the media library (which also deletes the internal playlist with the alpha-numeric name) after you copy the playlist to the playlist editor, to end up with just the edited playlist in the media library.

At least, that's the way it was working the last time I used internal media library playlists. I don't use the internal kind anymore. I import external playlists instead and instruct Winamp to use them (i.e. just make links in the media library to the external playlists, don't make internal copies). Then when I copy an external playlist to the Winamp playlist editor (or any other editor), make changes and then save the edited playlist, using the same name, back to it's external location, the original external playlist is overwritten. The link to the media library is maintained, so after a refresh of the media library playlist view, the edited external playlist is displayed and can be selected to play files.

Last edited by Aminifu; 16th June 2016 at 21:58.
Old 18th June 2016, 21:55   #25
mookee

but,

if i create a ml playlist and give it name, then but some treacks in it by zb. "send to playlist xy" or dragdrop in ML window and then close winamp, i will for sure have that ml playlist with tracks in winamp after new startup.. thats a fact !!! always has been

so i dont have to actualy save anything manualy for that matter

can we agree on that
Old 18th June 2016, 23:35   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
but,

if i create a ml playlist and give it name, then but some treacks in it by zb. "send to playlist xy" or dragdrop in ML window and then close winamp, i will for sure have that ml playlist with tracks in winamp after new startup.. thats a fact !!! always has been

so i dont have to actualy save anything manualy for that matter

can we agree on that
I can't disagree. I've been using Winamp since before the media library feature was added. I stopped using internal playlists a long time ago. When I was using them, I used a different method to create and update them (there are many ways to do things in Winamp). The method I was using gave the results I stated in post #24 above.

I've always made external playlists. For a short period after the media library came along, I used it's import features to turn my external playlists into internal ones (copies). I've never used 'send to' or 'drag-n-drop' to make or edit internal media library playlists.

I can only assume that edited internal playlists using your method are only saved during a normal Winamp shutdown, since your edits made in the session that crashed are not showing up in the recovered internal playlists. A few versions before the current one, some changes were made to save some things before a shutdown, maybe internal playlists were not among them. The developer who could tell us (DrO) is no longer working for the owners of Winamp.

I don't claim to be a Winamp expert and I have not tried all the ways Winamp can be used to accomplish a particular task. I was only providing the info I do know, based on my experiences. I should have made that clear. It was never my intention to mislead you in any way.

At least one mistake we both made was assuming the specific steps the other was using to accomplish things.

Old 23rd June 2016, 10:08   #27
mookee

yeah... i figure that.. but thanks anyway

so what now, is there anyone who does know more about that please
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:00   #28
mookee

Old 11th July 2016, 15:16   #29
mookee

so, as i am using paralells i just cloned my os windows and just tried it for good:

it seems u only have to replace the
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\ml order and start winamp

all playlist are back again, also those i didnt save...

they wont be working in my case as i have a different orderstructure now,

but i can save them now manualy, then open those m3us with "missing playlist filesFix.2.1.0" java app in windows! , and let missing playlist filesFix.2.1.0 fix all the playlists one by one....

then i delete all playlists in winamp again and replace them with the fixed ones and TADAAAaaa!!

thank god

good night and good fight
Old 12th July 2016, 07:20   #30
mookee

cool!)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support