Old 3rd November 2016, 16:38   #1
metal Maniac

Lost volumn on winamp

I have winamp pro 5666.
Until recently I have been using Win amp for all my music playing with no problems at all.
I have now lost all volume from winamp.
Explanation : I can play music on my computer's (2) with any program such as Music Bee, Music Monkey, Aimp etc. and when my computer is set to 10% on the volume control and any of these programs set to 50% I get decent volume but with winamp I can set it to 100% and it is barely audible.
I have re-downloaded and installed several times but no volume as such

I would add I have been looking for a free music program that works like Winamp, but I can find nothing that is close.
They either want to list every track on your computer or are too complicated etc.
I don't hold any hope of Winamp coming back, so if anyone can recommend a "Simple" "Music Player" I'd be grateful.
I don't want to index every track or download their covers etc. I just want to load track into it I want to listen to.
metal Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:44   #2
metal Maniac

I would add I have been looking for a free music program that works like Winamp, but I can find nothing that is close.
They either want to list every track on your computer or are too complicated etc.
I don't hold any hope of Winamp coming back, so if anyone can recommend a "Simple" "Music Player" I'd be grateful.
I don't want to index every track or download their covers etc. I just want to load track into it I want to listen to.
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:48   #3
musicf8
Major Dude

Are you saying that 10% windows volume with winamp set at 50% is too low? We are talking about 5% volume which is pretty low. I could barely hear my music on that setting as well.

Have you checked the windows mixer to make sure that Winamp isn't set any lower that the main volume?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 09:11   #4
metal Maniac

The point I was trying to make, was if my sound is set to say 50% volume for my sound card/computer and my music player is also set to 50% of the music player volume, it is very loud on any other music player, but on winamp with even 100% volume setting it is very low.
This means I have to have my sound card volume at almost 100% volume to hear my music through winamp. Then when finished with winamp I have to reduce the volume or it shatters my eardrums when I use any other programme with sound.
I don't know what you mean by the windows mixer, if you mean the soundcard mixer the volume is set the same for anything going through the speakers.

I am Windows 10 fully up to date, and this problem has only been for a week or so.
Old 4th November 2016, 14:22   #5
musicf8
Major Dude

And you are using the directsound output plugin?
have you checked your replay gain settings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	52801  

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 14:49   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal Maniac View Post
I don't know what you mean by the windows mixer, if you mean the soundcard mixer the volume is set the same for anything going through the speakers.

The Windows Volume Mixer is a panel that has controls (sliders) on it that let you separately set the maximum allowed volumes for your speakers, system sounds, and every running app that is able to produce sounds.

Look on the right side of the Windows task bar (near the time and date) for an icon that looks like a speaker. Right click on this speaker icon and select the command "Open Volume Mixer". If you don't see the speaker icon, look for an arrowhead pointing up (looks like an upside down "V"). Click on the arrowhead and a panel should open containing the speaker icon and other hidden icons.

Start Winamp and check the volume level set for Winamp in the Windows Volume Mixer.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 16:36   #7
metal Maniac

Thank you.
It is now OK.
I had checked the mixer settings, but not while Winamp was playing.
I now have done that and increased the volume .
Thanks for your help.
I've been using Winamp since it first came out, and I like the setup.
I really do hope we get a new version one day.

A friend told me they have had sudden problems with programs since the last Windows 10 update re-setting some programes. (Maybe that was the problem)
Old 5th November 2016, 15:19   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal Maniac View Post
I really do hope we get a new version one day.

DrO (a former official Winamp developer with over 12 years experience) is working on an unofficial beta upgrade (WACUP (Winamp Community Update Pack)) for the current patched v5.666.3516 and DJ Egg (and others) is working on an official beta upgrade (v5.8). Both betas should be released before the end of this year.

In any case, the current official patched version should continue to work (minus the extended features formerly provided by AOL) unless a future Windows update breaks it. If that happens, this forum (and/or others) will be available to help users deal with it.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support