Old 9th December 2007, 18:47   #1
diamenz

about nullsoft disk writer v2.13

hello. so i have a question about the disk writer plug in and how it works. if i load an unadulterated wave ripped with eac from retail cd and run it through winamp's disk writer to create a new wave, (i'm doing this for the soul purpose of winamp's awesome 'full bass and treble' graphic equalizer preset which pretty much makes songs sound like remasters) will that new wave still be of pure, perfect unadulterated quality with the addition of the preset i'm using it for?

i ask because i am a total audiophile and i fail to understand how this process works. it's obviously not recording from sound card, which would be lossy quality, (unless you have a super duper sound card which i don't) and i don't see how it's reencoding the song because the original wave and the newly created one are almost perfectly identical in size (usually with the difference of about just fifty bytes).

can someone please explain how this works and reassure me i'm getting a perfect cd quality new wave.

also, in the configuration options for this plug in, what does the 'playlist index at the beginning' option mean? and for 'output file type', what is a raw data file as opposed to wav?

i'd really appreciate your reply, thanks.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 20:22   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
The output plugins take the audio output from Winamp and pass it on to what ever they are supposed to do. out_wave and out_ds both pass it to the soundcard using two different interfaces. But out_disk writes the audio data to disc (and puts a RIFF header on it). The difference in size is probably due to some some private data being dropped or added to the wave file.

As for out_disk applying EQ data, I'm not sure as I have never tried it my self but it should because the EQ is processed/applied before output. It would be fairly easy to confirm and I will go do it now.
[EDIT] Yes it does.

The playlist index option just adds a number to the beginning of the filename to represent the position in the playlist. It's useful to maintain a playlist order or CD burning or whatever.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:17   #3
diamenz

thanks for your reply.

so basically it's just a wav encoder. same as if i were using something like sony vegas or an audio editor and exporting my project as a wave, right? the file is not running through my sound card at all.

see, i'm planning to take my original cd's and run them through this process for the purpose of the equalizer. it's driving me nuts wondering if i'm getting a pure, pretty much 100% wave exported.

Last edited by diamenz; 10th December 2007 at 19:13.
Old 11th December 2007, 15:41   #4
diamenz

bump
Old 11th December 2007, 23:36   #5
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Was I too vague? The Disk Writer writes PCM audio at the sample rate and bit depth it is given (provided you don't set a format in the config) to the given location.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 00:10   #6
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

you will loose quality running audio though any dsp or equiliser. thats life, you want loudness you loose quality.(good example of this is why classical music is recorded so quietly) professional equipment makes it less noticeable but it still has to be within reason.

only electronic signals(like synths) don't have this problem as it can be recorded in pure quality at any loudness.

higher gain = more distortion

high quality speakers/amps reduce the distortion at higher gain but it still occurs.

if theirs not enough bass, you need better speakers and or higher quality and more powerful amps to not noticeably reduce the quality of the track.

all in all its upto your ears, i personally hate using any audio modifications apart from replaygain to prevent clipping(as this hurts my ears when the volume is turned up) not to mention square waves can't be good on the speakers.

tube amplifiers have a LOT of distortion, but it sounds fantastic when the tubes are being overloaded. digital amps have less distortion but it sounds like ass when running them too loud.

I think that the artists intended to have the sound they originally recorded with, not to have anyone going and messing it up, but hey thats just me.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 00:28   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
I think that the artists intended to have the sound they originally recorded with, not to have anyone going and messing it up, but hey thats just me.
Which is exactly how I listen to my music.
The artists would be proud of me!
Equalizers (and other "true sound" distorters) be damned!!!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support