Old 24th April 2013, 04:31   #1
MadnessR

1080vs720

I currently watch Milkdrop on my 40in 1080p tv. My question to preset programmers is - is there a big difference between a preset at 720 or 1080? I assume they would look the same, but I'm wondering if the 720 version would be "dumbed down". I'm sure my computer would handle the presets a bit better at 720 if there is less to calculate. I realize that there is a difference in the viewing distance between these two resolutions. But I wonder if the presets would still look and act the same. When you program a preset, is there an "ideal" resolution?
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 16:11   #2
Prenso

I think it is all Preference. Mesh size has a lot to do with it as well. Some people dont mind slow frame rates, they set it at 15fps. Some people like it as quick as they can get so they dust off the old CRT moniters and run it at 100 +fps. You could run your presets in 1080p with 8x6 mesh size and it will look like crap(in my opinion) I think the key is finding the sweet spot you and your computer enjoy. I run at 1600x1200 with 80x60 mesh size and it runs smoothly enough for me. I dont use HDTV enough to remember what my sizes were. I think i was running 720 cause i couldnt tell a huge difference and I prefer a balance of speed and resolution
Prenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 07:27   #3
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
I have made for example some preset effects that work on a pixel scale which means that the output structures and filaments become smaller on a higher-dpi screen and that more of them fit on a higher resolution. I'd always prefer the higher resolution or at least the native resolution of the device. Most people won't notice but there are interpolation artifacts and you loose sharpness. Performance is key anyway, the joy begins at 40 to 50 fps - 60 fps is optimal.
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 23:58   #4
MadnessR

So screen resolution does matter at the preset level? My fps don't seem to be affected that much between the two resolutions. With mesh size, I just go by what milk drop recommends. 48x36.
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:41   #5
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
which mesh size is optimal also depends on the preset. When there are only large-scale warps without discontinuities (or asymptotes at worst) then a small mesh is okay. Larger meshes give slightly better results for lower-scale dx/dy warp effects. If you get to program the "plane deformation" warp completely as a manipulation of the uv vector in the warp shader then the mesh size doesn't matter at all and it's screen-resolution-accurate.
When i install Winamp on another computer i leave it at the default configuration, only the fullscreen frame limited to 30 fps.
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets