Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 17th August 2006, 05:01   #1
Aganar

Winamp displaying incorrect song times and such on certain files

I've got a number of files that Winamp seems to have a problem with. They're all from one CD rip, so I'm guessing that entire rip was bad, though I'm not entirely sure why.

In any case, the problem is as follows:

I will attempt to play certain songs, and notice that Winamp plays them incorrectly. Sometimes the songs will be the wrong song-length and Winamp will try to compensate, sometimes it will cut off suddenly, and sometimes it will just screw up. I've taken as many screenshots as I could to help assist.

Here is the album in question as shown in XP (a'Arab Zaraq Lucid Dreaming by Therion, just in case you're wondering):

To my knowledge, everything shown there is correct. The song lengths are that of what I have checked online to be their official song lengths, and they match. Winamp, however, disagrees. The song I have highlighted there, "Black Fairy" in particular (along with some other songs) seems to cause it problems:

As you can see, the song length is incorrect. I'm not sure how exactly Winamp does it, but when I do play it, it doesn't sound like it's being stretched out; some parts just go on longer. But, it's still wrong.

Some songs even Winamp realizes are longer than it's being told, and thus often goes past the bar, as seen here:

Just for reference, the song is actually 8 minutes. Had I let the program run, it would have played until the song actualy ran out.

The thing is that this problem is only with Winamp. WMP and VLC Media Player have no problems playing it:

Being a music nut and absolute quality freak, I also happen to own Encspot. So, just to see if it could help me out, I tried letting it take a look at the album. The results were interesting, albeit disconcerting:

As you can see there, the songs have some inconcistent encoding and flat-out impossible bitrates. What's interesting, however, is that the songs have the same WRONG times as Winamp.

However, once I had Encspot do a full scan on all of the songs within the folder, all things returned to normal:

I have no idea why. I also did a Lame Header scan on one of the problematic songs, which seems to indicate that something about the file is broken:

But I don't really know what all of that means, so I'm afraid I can't really be of much help there.

I hope this helps; I've provided pretty much all I can. Winamp seems to be the oddball out on playing these songs (which is odd, because usually it's the most versatile player I've got, what with all of the plug-ins and low memory usage), so this struck me as very unusual. But, the cursory Encspot scan seems to prove that it may not just be Winamp. So, I dunno--I'm not a programmer.

If it's of any help, I can also play this stuff fine on my Creative Zen Touch 40 GB mp3 player, and the track lengths are correct.

I'll gladly give any other necessary information, though I'm not sure I can give much beyond what I've already given.
Aganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 11:32   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What ripper did you use, and what were the LAME encoder settings used?

First you should upgrade to lame_enc 3.97b2 (you're using old buggy 3.95)
http://rarewares.org/mp3.html

Or if using Winamp, then upgrade to 5.24 (or preferably 5.25 public beta)
which comes with lame_enc 3.97b2 included.

Can you also provide a link to a zipped sample file?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 19:41   #3
RejZoR

I've seen similar but with much more drastic differences. Like ~5 minute song was showed as 20 or even 40 minute song... But thats long ago so i don't remember exactly.
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 20:32   #4
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Winamp uses the LAME header for track length, if it exists. Except in rare cases (yours? :) it's completely accurate.
Otherwise, Winamp has to guess (inaccurate) or scan the entire file (slow).
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 04:36   #5
Aganar

I'm not sure about the ripper, these were given to me by a friend (who never warned nor complained about the files, so as best I can gather he doesn't use Winamp).

I have provided a zipped file here:
http://www.angelfire.com/mb2/hooglec..._Preludium.rar

This is not one of the ones I had shown in the pictures, but it is having the same problems and (I assume) came from the same ripping settings/ripper. I chose this one because it was smaller, and because the gap difference was also very noticeable (should be about 1:43, yet plays for a full 5:57 in Winamp).
Old 18th August 2006, 11:47   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

angelfire doesn't allow remote linking, so we can't download the sample file.

Maybe you could upload it to yousendit.com or sendspace.com
or send a pm to me or benski to get an email address to send it to.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 19:29   #7
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Egg,
Old trick, copy the URL, paste it and put a question mark after it. If that doesn't work:
www.sawgweb.com/01_-_Preludium.rar

The track reports it is 5:57 for me in Winamp 5.24 and 5.25 b833. Reports the same in Foobar (Well, 5:58), Media Player Classic is 1:43

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 20:25   #8
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Well there, looks like something is corrupt with these MP3 files. Might be a bad LAME tag.
I was also able to reproduce the misread time with another player (foobar2k).
And I am pretty sure WMP doesn't support reading LAME tags,
not sure about VLC, but that would explain why they report right there.

Anyways, try running the files through mp3repacker.
Change the input type to CBR (from Automatic) and set the output to CBR as well. Leave the other settings alone.

Then select a new output folder, or even to overwrite and let it go.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 00:42   #9
Aganar

Did that, and Winamp seems to play it correctly now. Thanks.

However, Encspot still lists its CRC as "corrupt"; is that bad?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports