Old 22nd October 2002, 17:46   #1
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Coming Soon: Virginia Tech Skin

Here's my Virginia Tech skin I have been working on:

The skin is almost done, but I still have to add a PL button to the main window(don't know how I forgot that!?!?) and finish up the shade mode.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, especially suggestions on where to put the PL button. Hopefully I'll have a near-release wal posted this evening.
~FrisbeeMonkey
frisbeemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2002, 18:07   #2
allhailskippy

the pl is missing.. and the only other noticable thing is the position bar...

my recommendation is that you stretch the whole thing.. and tack the pl button beneath the ones on the left.. and put the pos bar below the eq..

if you don't want to do that... cause of all the recoding..

perhaps make the whole thing a bit wider.. and put the pos bar on the right.. beside the vol..

and the pl in the bottom left corner of the maroon window..

last option i can think of is to make your songinfo line a bit skinnier.. and put the pl below the ones on the left.. and don't bother with the pos bar.. or put it on the right..

Hopefully one of those will work for ya..

Paul

Edit - nice skin btw..
allhailskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2002, 20:15   #3
ohhjebus

now come up with a UVA skin and i'll be impressed....
ohhjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2002, 20:28   #4
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Heh, the position bar is there. See those bird footprints? They're the seek slider.
Right now I am thinking the PL button will go either to the right of the VT logo or just up and to the right of the Next, Eject, etc buttons. I really like having that open space next to the VT logo, maybe I'll try putting it in the display as you suggested.
Here's the Main and PL shade(borrowing the innovative PL drawer effect from Dave's Echo) I'm going to add a pair of mouseover drawers: thinger on the right, togglebuttons on the left.

Thanks for the suggestions,
~FrisbeeMonkey

And you'd be impressed if I did a UVA skin? Impressed that I'd sink so low?
Old 23rd October 2002, 22:29   #5
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Try it out

Okay, aside from the phantom bar in the titlebar, this skin is pretty much ready to go. Short of anyone finding some significant issues, I'll probably post it tonight or tomorrow.
Virginia Tech skin (226KB)
~FrisbeeMonkey
Old 24th October 2002, 05:57   #6
jarsonic
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jarsonic
Die, Hokie.

- "Wahoo" `Jarsonic

do justly | love mercy | walk humbly
jarsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 09:56   #7
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
you sure to like your bevels don't you :P

my one complaint about this skin is that i can't see a play button...anywhere
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 23:18   #8
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Plea for help

Play button? Does anyone still use those? Haha, yes, it has a play button, just using a play/pause script. Hit pause, voila, you have a play button.
Bevels? Me? Not this time To quote a wise member in these forums:
"there is not one bevel on the whole skin (the outside is inner glow+inner shadow, with a gradient overlay, and the buttons are just linear gradients)"
I used the same tutorial, heh.

Anyways, the main reason I am posting is because I need help from anyone willing. I attempted to publish this skin, but it gave the reviewers trouble(thanks wildrose-wally) The reviewers have enough to worry about as it is, so I am asking you, my fellow forumites, to see if you can help me here. The skin reportedly kills winamp. I have not been able to get this to happen to me, so it is quite difficult to fix a problem that I cannot recreate. If a few of you could download this skin and let me know if it works or not, that would be great. w-w had troubles when switching from another skin under ME, but it'd be nice to know it works/dies under other OSes as well.
Thanks for any and all help,
~FrisbeeMonkey
Wahoos, we don't need no stinkin' Wahoos.
Old 25th October 2002, 00:15   #9
DirtyLowMoFo

FrisbeeMonkey..
Been playing about with this skin for half hour or so (changing skins back & forth, opening & closing windows etc.) .... no problems except 1.......
in shade mode, if you dont let the drawer for the thinger open completely before you put the mouse cursor over the drawer, it slides left to right 4 or 5 pixels & wont open all the way. Also when it does extend completely when i mouse over the drawer it jumps to the right a pixel or so.

btw, im using Win98SE
DirtyLowMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 04:23   #10
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Thanks, Dirty. I was thinking about changing that drawer just because I am not a fan of mouseover drawers, and yeah that glitch is annoying. The drawer now relies on a button to open, the lock button now opens the left drawer to show a Text object that displays the current component bucket item.
And yeah, I've been testing in 98SE, and now XP, no crashes.
If anyone else would care to test it(ME and 2000 users?) I would appreciate info on its compatability. Those OSes seem more sensitive to memory leaks and other untidiness(not that I can imagine where those would be introduced, but I am grasping at straws here)
I've cleaned up the MAKI a bit(just cleared a few global vars I wasn't using, as well as scrapped main.maki). Still ahead before I retry publishing: antialias the edges of the main shade and drawers, eliminate that dark bar in the component titlebar, beat my head against the wall, try again to kill the dark bar, etc.
~FrisbeeMonkey
Old 25th October 2002, 07:49   #11
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
i like it, its a very good skin, only prob is the shapes looks a bit like chronabie.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 20:24   #12
frisbeemonkey
Major Dude

Ehh, in that they are both rounded-rectangles? That's not really so uncommon, I don't see it as a problem, especially since our layouts and functionalities are pretty different.

Skin Update:
-Cleaned up the edges of the winshade and its drawers.
-Killed that dark bar!
-Downloaded and tested on Winamp 3.0b, no problems under 98SE or XP.

I'm not posting a new version unless anyone wants one. I've resubmitted it, hopefully it will be published soon. I'm hoping my MAKI-cleaning was enough for it to work on their machines now. Does anyone know if the reviewers use a version beyond 3.0b? Has anyone with ME/2000 been able to use this skin successfully?
~FrisbeeMonkey
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins