Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you use playlists?
Always! 20 35.71%
Most of the time! 8 14.29%
Just some of the time! 17 30.36%
Absolutely never! 20 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th November 2007, 09:09   #1
bizzybody

Who doesn't use playlists, ever?

I never, ever use playlists. Any app that forces me to use playlists, or automagically adds everything it opens to a playlist gets uninstalled.

When I want music, I just randomly throw a couple dozen songs at Winamp and click play. The next time it'll be something entirely different. Why? Because I'm not the sort of person who listens to the same songs over and over. (With over 4,500 MP3's I can go a loooooong time before hearing the same song twice.)

The only radio station I listen to is called "Bob FM". "Bob" plays ANYTHING, at random. You never know what's next. "Bob" could play a Beatles song, then Blue Oyster Cult, then Elvis, then Brittney Spears. I LOVE IT!
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 09:38   #2
Neorth

I can't say I use playlists that much but when sorting music that can't be sorted automatically they're really handy. For example I use them for training programs, own compilations and stuff like that.
Neorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 10:16   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Re: Who doesn't use playlists, ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by bizzybody
When I want music, I just randomly throw a couple dozen songs at Winamp and click play. The next time it'll be something entirely different.
how is this not creating a playlist everytime you use winamp?

your not saving it, but its still a playlist none the less.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 16:45   #4
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
why wouldn't you use playlists?
I think that the greatest thing that Winamp ever did was to create a playlist everytime that you rip a CD. This way you can play the CD back in its entirety if you would like and keep the integrity of the order of the tracks.
And Now that the Devs have introduced the playlist generator, I have a feeling I am going to be using playlists a lot more.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 12:24   #5
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i use the ml instead and don't really create playlists. the only one i have is the playlist for the tracks i sync with my mp3 device.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 12:35   #6
bizzybody

I don't rip CDs with Winamp, and I name my MP3s like 01 - Artist - Song Name.mp3 so they're easy to find even with searches that don't look inside files.

I've been trying the Picard tagger for MusicBrainz, and have to figure out how to make it quit removing the artist name from filenames, and how to make it add it to filenames without.

Winamp's auto tag feature is better than Picard, it finds more data like the year for more files, but MusicBrainz has the ability to scan a completely unknown MP3 and compare it to data in its database submitted by other users to find the song info.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 03:38   #7
skij710

Send a message via AIM to skij710 Send a message via Yahoo to skij710
Quote:
Originally posted by Juanus
why wouldn't you use playlists?
I think that the greatest thing that Winamp ever did was to create a playlist everytime that you rip a CD. This way you can play the CD back in its entirety if you would like and keep the integrity of the order of the tracks.
And Now that the Devs have introduced the playlist generator, I have a feeling I am going to be using playlists a lot more.
Well, when u rip the CD, you use track numbers for the beginning of the filename. All of my music is in Folders which are Artist names, then inside each of those are subfolders which are the Album names. When I want to play a CD back in its entirety, all I do is Right click the folder of the album, then choose 'Play In Winamp', , if i want to queue up another album or track(s), right click that folder or track(s) and choose 'Enqueue in Winamp'.

I don't see any use for saved playlists, but I suppose some people do. Me personally, nada.
skij710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 04:13   #8
Zero2FiftyIn4

Basically the age old Media Library users vs. Playlist Users debate.....and so the battle continues!

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 12:47   #9
Koogle

i'm the same... playlist are kinda stupid.. I use the Media Library, but really its just adding the same thing to the Playlist.. the ML should be the Playlist

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Koogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 12:57   #10
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
I don't use saved playlists but I love the distinction between the Media Library and Playlist Editor that Winamp has. All other players I have seen or tried seem to think that I want to play all the tracks in my library when I click on one. WMP is unfortunately the next closest one as it won't do that but then it's playlist is really hidden (well in v. 10, I think).

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 15:17   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
I always use playlists, and more specifically, playlists saved outside of the Media Library, and this is one of the main reasons why I do so. I'll quote myself partially from that post...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Using the Media Library method of creating playlists will update playlists so they are recognized/playable in both Media players, but finding "which is which" in WMP is problematic at best due to WMP only seeing/listing the ML names (plf1DCA.m3u, plf2AAA.m3u, plf4C49.m3u, etc.). So I think the above method of saving the playlist outside of any Winamp folder/subfolder with unique identifiable names will make it better/easier to first locate and then load your playlist(s) into either media player. In addition, the above method will always maintain your playlists if for any reason you forget to backup your ML playlists if performing a clean install of Winamp, in which case you will lose them all. But you cannot lose them if they are saved with unique identifiable names outside of any Winamp folder/subfolders.
Look at the screenshot in that other post to have a better idea of what I'm referring to in my above quote when I indicate "the above method".

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 11:26   #12
skij710

Send a message via AIM to skij710 Send a message via Yahoo to skij710
Quote:
I always use playlists, and more specifically, playlists saved outside of the Media Library, and this is one of the main reasons why I do so. I'll quote myself partially from that post...Look at the screenshot in that other post to have a better idea of what I'm referring to in my above quote when I indicate "the above method".
That's cool, I saw in your picture how you use the underscore before the folder name so your most important folders stay at the top and in alphabetical order in win explorer, lol.. I do the same exact thing.

J
skij710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 16:56   #13
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
I always use playlists, and more specifically, playlists saved outside of the Media Library,
The Nuz and I are cut from the same cloth when it comes to playlists. I always use them also and they are always saved outside of the media library.
Except I save all of my playlists in the folder of the files. That way everything has relative paths. Then I can move my music folder around anywhere I want and all the playlists still work.
And then, I point winamp to my playlists and it loads them up in the media library and I can play the playlists from there also.
Playlists are great and I hope that soon the Devs will expand the Playlist plugin functionality a little.
Old 27th December 2007, 19:39   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by skij710
That's cool, I saw in your picture how you use the underscore before the folder name so your most important folders stay at the top and in alphabetical order in win explorer, lol.. I do the same exact thing.
Yes... that's definitely one of the reasons I use a preceding underscore in the naming of many folders.
Quote:
Originally posted by Juanus
Except I save all of my playlists in the folder of the files. That way everything has relative paths. Then I can move my music folder around anywhere I want and all the playlists still work.
Excellent method, Juanus.
I think perhaps I may consider doing the same, but only for those playlists that reflect the individual CD/album. Actually, I also have several playlists entitled "Fav Picks 1.m3u, Fav Picks 2.m3u, etc.," where they are a "mix-mosh" of various artists/albums. In that case, I would then keep those in a separate folder (eg: _Playlists - as depicted in my screenshot in the other thread I linked to above).

But yeah!! Excellent organizational method!
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 20:09   #15
Juanus
Major Dude

Nunx, I wish that I could take credit for it.
However, that is the DEFAULT that winamp ships with. Whenever you rip a CD, it creates the directory, the files and the playlist all in the folder. Done and done. Then I just throw all those created album directories into the My Music folder (Actually, I have some sub dirs in there that organize things a but more) But thats the basic idea. And then I have the mix mosh playlists in a playlist directory much like you do.
Winamp is definitely the best in terms of the CD rip settings.
Old 6th February 2008, 03:09   #16
slalvation

I use playlists constantly, but they're LONG playlists. I have playlists of all of my more upbeat songs, low-key songs, classic rock, indie, etc. I listen to them on random. The only shorter playlist I have is one that's just my favorite bands/songs. Other than that, I just listen to albums, or throw together a few bands that I feel like listening to.
slalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 13:09   #17
kcoenich

I do almost the same. put 150-200 songs of any kind of music (electronic, rock, pop, spanish, etc) and play them on random... so I listen to 50-60 songs before I listen to one song again.
kcoenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion