Old 24th January 2012, 11:38   #1
jdardis07

Joomla Site on VPS streaming private archive. Please Help!

Hello,

I am new to these forums and have spent days looking for some solid advice..

Here is my situation, I am building a website for a client who has been in the radio business for many years. I am to create a website that will stream his music playlists 24/7, and eventually be integrating advertisements and promotions.

I have started building the site with Joomla 1.7, I have it hosted with a VPS package from a great host.. Also, I've installed shoutcast onto the VPS running CentOS.

This is how far I have come.

I would like to embed a media player that will stream a mp3 playlist. What do I need to do to setup the shoutcast installation to stream to the media player installed on the site? (not installed yet)

I have slightly edited the config files to change the password, port etc.

Is there somewhere I can get the media player to embed that I can simply change the source to my server IP:Port?? And once that is setup how do I start/test my stream?

Or do I need to take this another route and do something totally different?

I am open to all suggestions and would really appreciate some advice. Thank You
jdardis07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 13:00   #2
jdardis07

Update

So here is an update of what I have been trying.

I have the winamp dsp plugin installed. I attempted to start the server but was unsuccessful with the following message

listening for connection on port XXXX

I have publicstream set to never.

I have noticed that I cannot see the settings for srcIP, destIP, content directory ect.
My conf files are the new version like so:
sc_serv_basic.conf
sc_serv_simple.conf
sc_serv_public.conf ect......

I run the command: nano or pico sc_serv_basic.conf and the only settings I can change is the passwords, port number, authhash, and streamid stuff.

Where can I change the srcIP and destIP settings? Do I need to add the lines myself?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:24   #3
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdardis07 View Post
I have the winamp dsp plugin installed. I attempted to start the server but was unsuccessful with the following message

listening for connection on port XXXX
it's normal for the DNAS server to show that as it means it's in a state where it can then accept source connections i.e. the Source DSP needs to be started and made to connect.

Quote:
Where can I change the srcIP and destIP settings? Do I need to add the lines myself?
the example config files only provide / show what is generally needed. if you explicitly need to set / change other values then you need to add them yourself.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:16   #4
jdardis07

Okay,

I updated my config file it looks like this:

maxuser=10
SrcIP=204.197.254.15 (this is my VPS IP)
DestIP=ANY

I go to start server and now get this

msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8700
2012-01-25 13:12:03 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8700
2012-01-25 13:12:03 E msg:Error opening port 8700 because Could not bind to :8700 because Address already in use

So I ran the command killall sc_serv
and it killed no processes...

What am I doing wrong?
Old 25th January 2012, 21:27   #5
jdardis07

If I remove the srcIP from the config file when I run the start command it will say it is listening on the port for connections.

When I use winamp plugin I tried connecting using localhost or 127.0.0.1 as address and it was unable to connect.

As soon as I put scrIP=myVPSIP back into my config file... I get the error that I mentioned in my last post.... Someone please help I'm desperate....
Old 26th January 2012, 08:13   #6
DrO

srcip is the address which source connections are allowed in from, so if you're running things on the same machine then it really doesn't need to be set. really, only destip should be set and only then when you have a mix of network adapters (though the current v2 DNAS and YP don't properly use that option).

as for the errors, something is already running on port 8700 (which wasn't noted in the earlier posts) so i have to assume that you've change portbase at some point in the configuration file.

as for why the DSP is not connecting, it could be anything from the wrong IP being entered - as you're using a VPS, i doubt that the Source DSP is on the same machine so you'd need to enter the VPS address and make sure the Source DSP is in v2 (non-legacy mode).

there are options in the Source DSP to allow for logging connection attempts which will make it easier to work out what is or isn't going on.

-daz
Old 27th January 2012, 12:56   #7
jdardis07

PHP Code:
logfile=logs/sc_serv.log
w3clog
=logs/sc_w3c.log
banfile
=control/sc_serv.ban
ripfile
=control/sc_serv.rip
maxuser
=10
streamrelayurl_1
=http://204.197.254.15:8700

;;;;;Encoder
encoder
=mp3
bitrate
=56000
unlockkeyname
=changed
unlockkeycode
=changed

;;;; PLAYLIST CONTROL
your playlist    
;Playlistfile=stream.m3u
by default we shuffle the playlistLets turn that off
;Shuffle 1
set our crossfade time to 2 secondszero means no xfade
;Xfade=2    
file must be at least 20 seconds or we don't crossfade
;Xfadethreshold=20
; drop folder for priority playlists
;Playlists=/home/para/shoutcast/content/
; where finished priority playlists get copied
;Archive=/home/para/shoutcast/content

publicserver=never

portbase=8700

password=changed

adminpassword=changed

streamid=1
streampath=/stream.mp3 
I have combined sc_trans and sc_serv configuration files into one.. As posted above.. Is this okay?

My problem is when I visit ipaddress: port it will not show an available stream. It works if I use just the sc_serv.conf... But once I added in the sc_trans I cannot get a stream...

I only get an Source responded with error [HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found]

Help is much appreciated..
Old 27th January 2012, 13:16   #8
DrO

it's generally best to only have what is actually needed in the configuration file for each of the tools - merging can cause issues since some of the configuration names are shared between the two of them.

as for what you've posted, that's the first mention of running the DNAS with a stream relay configured - having a relay and a source trying to connect on the same stream at the same time is likely to be the cause of the Source DSP not being able to connect.

it almost seems like you're trying to do Source DSP -> sc_trans -> sc_serv2 but it's not clear what exactly you're trying to setup from this or the prior posts. if that is the case then there are no DJ details specified in the sc_trans part of the configuration which would mean the Source DSP will never correctly connect (needs an event in calendar.xml, the DJ name and password to be set in the sc_trans configuration as well as djport/djport2).

if that's not what you're trying to do then some clarification is really going to be needed.

-daz
Old 28th January 2012, 00:15   #9
jdardis07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's generally best to only have what is actually needed in the configuration file for each of the tools - merging can cause issues since some of the configuration names are shared between the two of them.

as for what you've posted, that's the first mention of running the DNAS with a stream relay configured - having a relay and a source trying to connect on the same stream at the same time is likely to be the cause of the Source DSP not being able to connect.

it almost seems like you're trying to do Source DSP -> sc_trans -> sc_serv2 but it's not clear what exactly you're trying to setup from this or the prior posts. if that is the case then there are no DJ details specified in the sc_trans part of the configuration which would mean the Source DSP will never correctly connect (needs an event in calendar.xml, the DJ name and password to be set in the sc_trans configuration as well as djport/djport2).

if that's not what you're trying to do then some clarification is really going to be needed.

-daz
Okay so first I will try and explain what I am trying to set up...
I am building a radio website that will stream playlist via flashplayer and once that is fully operational we will be adding in live shows.
The website is hosted on a centOS VPS.
I was under the impression that sc_trans could handle all of this? Or do I need to look into buying some broadcasting software?

Hopefully that explains what I am trying to accomplish.

The reason I have it set to streamrelayURL is because I could not get sc_serv to work with the srcIP set to the VPS IP address. So I found the streamrelay solution to work but maybe that isnt the best option?

Also, you mentioned I should have seperate config files for sc_trans and sc_serv right? So when I start the server I run the ./sc_serv sc_serv_basic.conf
Then I start the sc_trans afterwords?
Old 28th January 2012, 21:42   #10
jdardis07

Dro please help
Old 29th January 2012, 23:03   #11
DrO

Quote:
I was under the impression that sc_trans could handle all of this? Or do I need to look into buying some broadcasting software?
sc_trans can be used fine as a source for what i think you're trying to do.

Quote:
The reason I have it set to streamrelayURL is because I could not get sc_serv to work with the srcIP set to the VPS IP address. So I found the streamrelay solution to work but maybe that isnt the best option?
srcip is only intended to be used if you want to restrict access for where a source connection comes from, otherwise you generally shouldn't need to mess with that option. i'm still not following why you're doing a relay from the VPS if that's what is meant to be DNAS instance for the stream.

Quote:
So when I start the server I run the ./sc_serv sc_serv_basic.conf
Then I start the sc_trans afterwords?
correct.

Quote:
Dro please help
other people can help and reply but weekends are generally a poor time for getting instant responses, especially as i actually try to not do anything on the forums until sunday night my time. so i'm sure this is super important but i know i'm not a robot and need to rest at some point during a week.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support