Old 3rd June 2013, 22:11   #1
Blackstream

Show and sort by filename in a device

Basically, a fair number of my songs have no metadata. If I go to local media, I can add in the filename column and sort by filename just fine. But if I go to the library stored on my phone, there is mysteriously no option to see or sort by filename. It seems like my only option is to manually enter in the metadata for each track. Is there some way to do this? Or at least automatically fill in my metadata by copying the filename to the title metafield if it's blank?
Blackstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 09:48   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstream View Post
Or at least automatically fill in my metadata by copying the filename to the title metafield if it's blank?
I suggest you use a file tagging app, like Mp3tag, to do this.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:43   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You can also get Winamp sorting the tags out for you. Various methods available from the Media Library.

A single track - right click and select View File Info and update the fields.

A single track - as above, but try the <Auto-tag> button. If the data looks good, hit OK and save it to the file.

An album - manually select the album tracks in the Media Library and Right click and Edit selected Media Data. This page now allows you to tick common fields like Artist, Album, Year, Genre, etc and set the SAME data to all of the tracks. So perfect for setting the common album details of an album.

An album - as a followup to the above, Select the whole album of tracks again in Media Library, but this time right click and select View File Info. Now you can correct the track names and numbers. You will find each time you hit <OK> you will jump to the next track in your selection.

The above tricks are all very useful and leave you 100% in control of the data. But then, if you are like me, you may be lazy. So Winamp has some magic available - AutoTag.

Select that an album of tracks, now Right Click and Send to -> Auto-tag. NOw Winamp can lookup each of your tracks and attempt to fill in the correct data for you. BE CAREFUL here as some guesses are just bad. There is some algorithm going on that will attempt to identify the track - but I think it also takes some hints from the tags you already have and the file\folder names.

Generally Auto-tag does a pretty good job. Though I always double check the results. Depending on if you are happy with those results, tick the tracks you want to be updated, and hit the Apply Changes button.

I love Winamp's tagging abilities. So many variations of control. but do also get hold of MP3TAG as it has so many more extra powerful features that can even rename the files. Or copy tags from filenames etc. A geeks dream tool.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 21:03   #4
Blackstream

Awesome thanks, that program worked perfectly

EDIT: I'll mess with autotag at some point too to see how it works.
Blackstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support