Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 1st June 2003, 01:50   #1
nobuo3317

How can I set up my Netgear router to let me broadcast securely?

I'm wanting to start broadcasting a shoutcast station, and have everything working except for the fact that I have a firewall (I read a solution to this in one of the FAQ's on this site though). Now the only problem is that my dad is concerned about internet security and he mentioned that his friends at work have talked about using routers to help be more secure.

We have 3 computers on a network using a Netgear Cable/DSL Wireless Router model MR314. My dad's main concern is preventing people from accessing the 2 computers that aren't the shoutcast server which seems hard to do when allowing people to connect to one of them freely. Any and all help is appreciated.
nobuo3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2003, 02:32   #2
Tom

All you need to do is configure your router to forward incoming requests on a certain port (by default 8000) to the machine on your LAN running the DNAS. See your router's documentation for port forwarding or virtual server. No one will be able to access the other two computers, and people will only be able to access the computer with the DNAS on the port you specify in your router's config.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2003, 00:14   #3
rockyte00

Send a message via AIM to rockyte00
how do u do this.. i also use a firewall.. when i try to connect my Winamp to my shoutcast server to start broadcasting it doesnt work... hmmm if anyone can help me setup aim me at rockyte or e-mail at rockyte@hotmail.com
rockyte00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2003, 04:19   #4
DaMarmot

If you're really paranoid you can invest in a second firewall that lets you choose the Protected network to any IP subnet you wanted ie 172.20.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. The first firewall could be used to forward port 8000 (default) to the shoutcast server. Then off this firewall the second firewall that does no port forwarding at all would have a different network subnet. In data centers the zone behind the first firewall is called the DMZ zone. If hosts in the DMZ are compromised they are stuck in the DMZ network - they cannot gain any access to the other computers behind the second firewall. Note this is not the lame DMZ Zone on the Linksys routers that basically open up all ports to one ip address when you can't figure out why a service isn't working right.

basically here's a diagram

Internet > 1st Firewall >forwarding port 8000>(172.20.x.x) DMZ host > 2nd Firewall >no forwarding >(192.168.x.x) hosts that do not have any services offered to the internet.

To get a perspective read up on the vulnerabilities of Microsoft's browser and OS. These vulnerabilties are exploited by merely browsing a a specailly crafted web site. New ones come up about every month or two. http://www.microsoft.com/security
and the latest one originally posted June 4, 2003...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-020.asp

From their site...
"A buffer overrun vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not properly determine an object type returned from a web server. It could be possible for an attacker who exploited this vulnerability to run arbitrary code on a user's system. If a user visited an attacker’s website, it would be possible for the attacker to exploit this vulnerability without any other user action. An attacker could also craft an HTML email that attempted to exploit this vulnerability. "

Yeah I do use windows and ie (with as much precautions as I know how - hardware firewall Gnatbox, Personal firewall Norton Personal Firewall, Ad-aware with Adwatch - Antivirus AVG). It's very easy to get carried away with the paranoia.
DaMarmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2003, 04:39   #5
DaMarmot

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyte00
how do u do this.. i also use a firewall.. when i try to connect my Winamp to my shoutcast server to start broadcasting it doesnt work... hmmm if anyone can help me setup aim me at rockyte or e-mail at rockyte@hotmail.com
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=70403

the section titled Netgear How to setup Port forwarding
DaMarmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support