Old 1st September 2016, 01:43   #1
Ducula

Paying Royalties

Hi guys,

I want to start an Internet radio station, how do I go about paying royalties for the music I will be broadcasting. I can't seem to get a straight answer.

What is the best way?

Cheers

Ducula
Ducula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 02:18   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducula View Post
What is the best way?
The best way is to contact the responsible organisation in your country - it has absolutely nothing to do with shoutcast

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 02:35   #3
Ducula

Thanks for the reply, I realise it has nothing to with shoutcast, but I'm not getting any response from responsible organisation here in Australia. PPCA.

I was wondering if there was another way where by royalties went by a monthly payment through a host server.

So if you have a useful suggestion, that would be greatly appreciated.
Ducula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 04:19   #4
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
here in Australia
Well, I thought it was ACMA - http://www.acma.gov.au/ in Australia (I know it used to be back when I was "streaming"

nevermind - it's been years, you are right

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 14:32   #5
Taino

I use Stream Licensing
Taino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 05:31   #6
richardx

Royalties are payments of different types to owners of property for use of that property. Generally royalties manage payments for the privilege to Please Do My Assignment use intellectual property, similar to copyrights, trademarks, and licenses.
richardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 07:21   #7
dopelabs

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
hehe... broadcast until they come knocking, then if you still choose to pay they will provide you with the details to do so =]

make sure you research whoever comes knocking though... tons of scams out there
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 07:45   #8
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopelabs View Post
hehe... broadcast until they come knocking, then if you still choose to pay they will provide you with the details to do so
I know people who've been broadcasting on the Internet 18 years without a licence and I ain't heard of them being busted! They obviously don't check that much...

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 22:24   #9
dopelabs

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
it all boils down to what content your broadcasting and what labels they are released on... for example if your streaming single tunes (not a dj mix), and the tunes are all top 40 in whatever genre, and you have a decent listener base, chances are they will come knocking.

on the other hand if you are broadcasting only dj mixes, and a good majority of the tunes are unreleased and/or on independent labels (not some big corp), chances are you will never hear from them.

most independent labels and artists fully understand that radio play (streaming or not) is essential to their success. you hear something on the radio, that drives people to buy their music. its basically free advertising provided by the radio station.

the whole notion that broadcasters should pay an artist or royalty company to advertise an artists music is absurd. especially if the radio station is not gaining profits directly from the play of that music. last time i checked radio stations dont charge you per track to listen to their broadcasts.

so you have to weigh the options... just consider the music you are broadcasting, and how greedy the label is and how likely said label is to try and take legal action against you... generally speaking your stream is but a drop in a sea of online streams.

a good example is the different subgenres of electronic music. take dubstep... i can say with pretty good certainty that the vast majority of label owners dont have the money to try and pursue a legal battle in court over some shoutcast stream playing one of their tunes every once in a while.
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions