Old 24th August 2010, 22:19   #1
Koogle

Procrustes ..where is it?

The only decent DSP with the best time stretch control for winamp is missing from the addons site.. infact it seems to be missing from web.

...someone got it

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Koogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 13:10   #2
Koogle

Can anyone check their winamp dsp plugins for it, I'm still looking for it, can't believe its gone off the addons site.

Old 20th November 2010, 11:47   #3
Koogle

seriously no one has it?

Old 20th November 2010, 11:57   #4
DrO

nope and as it was removed from the site for containing a virus / something dodgy there's no copy in the submissions db (especially as the database has been changed since that time). so you're out of luck.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 18:02   #5
Koogle

"containing a virus / something " this is what I find to be complete bs, most AV scanners often pick up false positives infact they all do. Procrustes was VERY performant, not to mention one of the best for what it did.. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just low level programming code, obviously vis7errr dumbification has included virus scanner developers who want everyone to conform to their stupidity in malicious code identification failure.

Whoever wiped it out obviously just went along with 'a' hear say opinion and didn't bother to actually thoroughly check it, other than probably use the same type of lame virus scanner.

I had the addon for years and there was nothing wrong with it, it wasn't a virus at all it, it certainly didn't screw up anything or try to pass through firewal (inc. through winamp), obviously I wasn't around when that stupid thread came up about it saying it had a virus, just can't believe no one else has it, was one of the best dsp's for winamp frankly.

Developers who were behind it and their other sound DSP stuff are gone. http://www.dsprelated.com/showmessage/58394/1.php

Old 15th February 2011, 08:57   #6
ViSlav

Procrustes

Hi, Koogle!

I'm one of the people who wrote Procrustes. It's a shame that I didn't release a new version. If you want I can recompile (or re-assemble because it's written entirely in assembly) the source code and send the executable file to you via an e-mail or upload it somewhere. The source code is no longer a secret too.

Best regards,
Viruslav
ViSlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 21:32   #7
thislooks

Well, ViSlav...

That would be just great!
From what I've heard that plugin really got a lot of compliments; too bad some of us weren't as lucky to get it before it was removed.
Do you have any idea about what was giving the false positive that caused its banning?

I know a lot of us would be very happy being able to get our hands on the new version of this very helpful plugin.

Will be waiting to hear from you!
thislooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 01:51   #8
Koogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViSlav View Post
Hi, Koogle!

I'm one of the people who wrote Procrustes. It's a shame that I didn't release a new version. If you want I can recompile (or re-assemble because it's written entirely in assembly) the source code and send the executable file to you via an e-mail or upload it somewhere. The source code is no longer a secret too.

Best regards,
Viruslav
A recompile/source would be very good, please upload it somewhere.

Old 21st February 2011, 13:17   #9
ViSlav

Quote:
A recompile/source would be very good, please upload it somewhere.
I will do.
Quote:
Do you have any idea about what was giving the false positive that caused its banning?
My ex-boss was a "small executable freak" Even though the executable file was small since it didn't use any runtime libraries, he compressed it with apack or upack. (I don't remember which one it was.) Even today antivirus software "don't like" exe-packers. I think that was the reason.
Quote:
I know a lot of us would be very happy being able to get our hands on the new version of this very helpful plugin.
I'm sorry I don't have a new version. Probably I had to make one but I didn't. Now I'm just trying to change the source a little bit to make it more compatible with newer Winamp versions and newer Windows versions and I'll upload it somewhere.
Maybe some day I'll make a newer version...
Old 8th March 2011, 15:45   #10
Zandro Reveille

Wow, superb timing for me... I was just on the prowl for an alternative to Chronotron since it fizzled out on me. Having read the virus allegations and following dead links, I didn't expect to see this here. Thank you for coming in to chat, and I hope to soon hear the quality people've been praising!
Zandro Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 12:14   #11
ViSlav

Please, be patient. I've made a minor update (as promised) and will upload it soon. We have some problems with our server where we are going to make a dedicated page. It will be ready up and running till the end of the week I hope. I also decided to start working on a major update of the plugin with 24-bit audio support but I cannot tell when it will be ready.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:48   #12
Koogle

Whatever happened ViSlav?

Old 13th May 2011, 08:52   #13
ViSlav

The new version with 8, 16, 24 and 32-bit mono and stereo audio support is ready for testing and I want to upload it too. The old one supports only 16 bit stereo. But the server where I want to upload all versions is not ready yet. I'll talk to my friend about this problem today.

Update: I have a promise the server will be ready in Monday.
Old 17th May 2011, 05:13   #14
clementj

The best plugin for shifting either pitch or tempo is Chronotron Pro, but you have to pay $ for it. I looked at Procrustes, but it had some problems, so it was not acceptable. The problems are detailed below, so hopefully they can be fixed in the new revision.

Procrustes does a very good job of shifting tempo on most file types while maintaining
pitch, but has no pitch shifting. It does not work with mono files, but does process stereo
files. I found that upon a reinstall it had trouble with FLAC stereo files and even crashed
while playing them. It does have some roughness at very large slowdown settings. No
disable button. It has only crashed Winamp on FLAC files as far as I know. It disables the
spectrum display except for MP3 files. Only recommended provisionally if you have no
mono or FLAC files. This is one of best sounding of the free plugins.

There is also a problem with the FLAC input plug-in in Winamp which I have already reported. So you may have to use an older version which works properly.
clementj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 10:31   #15
Koogle

clementj do you actually have the procrustes plugin for winamp? please upload it

Old 17th May 2011, 11:17   #16
yslier

Whoever has the plugin please upload it! Thank godness!
yslier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 15:03   #17
clementj

I used to have it, and it may be on a backup somewhere, but I can not find it easily. As I said, it has some bugs, so I now use Chronotron Pro which I highly recommend. So I have deleted the main copy of Procrustes. If I happen to come across it I will be glad to upload it. It would be better if one of the developers fixes the problems and uploads the new version. In the interest of saving space all of our mono music is in mono files, but Procrustes wouldn't handle them, so it is of no use to us.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:43   #18
ViSlav

Procrustes Winamp DSP plugin v1.01:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MUZXL6PZ

Procrustes Winamp DSP plugin v1.10 alpha:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZM0CV0T

Version 1.10 alpha supports 8, 16, 24 and 32-bit mono and stereo audio streams. It is not tested on CPUs which support 3DNow but don't support SSE or 3DNow is preferred over SSE (Duron, original Athlon, Atthlon XP, VIA C3, ...) and may crash them. Please, if someone has such a CPU, test it and put a comment here .

Still no pitch shifting, only time stretching...

...And our server is still not ready...
Old 19th May 2011, 02:26   #19
Koogle

yay LOVE IT!

So glad to have that back, all working great ViSlav_ using the 1.10 alpha on intel cpu, maybe will test later on some older amd cpu's.

Anyway I had gotten so used to DFX as a replacement DSP that it all sounded a bit strange just using Procrustes again on it owns. Luckily the DSP Stacker plugin http://www.winamp.com/plugin/multipl...stacker/128742 works great with both DFX and Procrustes.. so brilliant.

As feature suggestion seeing as you're back, could a reset tempo to '100' button be added or actually just quick disable Processing method that mutes the DSP effect but keeps the current tempo setting... would be nice to get something like that, moving the slider back to 100 for some songs was always a bit unnecessary.

My only slight niggle was the Procrustes dialog looked a bit odd on Win7 than it did on XP, it doesn't use the same toolbox form, and also got a blue slightly transparent background aswel.. anyway fixed the background, noticed it was using the 'Active Title Bar' colors from the non Aero visual styles "Advanced appearance settings.." for the background and '3D objects' for the borders, though changing that seems to effect other dialog backgrounds.

p.s NO FREAKING Malicious code! -for the complainers running crap false positive virus software and getting good plugins pulled from winamp and seemingly vanishing off the internetz :P

Old 19th May 2011, 05:54   #20
clementj

I just tried the alpha version with several different formats. It worked well with mono and stereo MP3, and with wave files. But not with FLAC or MP4. I have an Athlon II processor. The two extra features that would probably be the most valuable are a button to return it to the 100% setting, and an option to have it automatically go back to 100% when the song changes. Chronotron has the 100% point marked and by clicking on the 100% the slider goes back to that setting. These should not be onerous programming. Some people might like a plug in that nestles better with existing arrangements, so the option of having a horizontal slider might be nice. If I had my druthers, I would like to be able to incorporate it seamlessly into a skin. But what you have done so far is really great.

It still burbled a little more than Chronotron Pro, but for the price it is fantastic. Chronotron pro has had a lot more continuous development, so it should be better. Chronotron also has a lot more features and can be used with other programs. For example the maximum range can be changed and it works with Internet Explorer. It also has some options that might improve the sound for percussion instruments.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:34   #21
ViSlav

All versions of the Procrustes plugin have always had a "button" to reset the tempo to 100%. Just right-click anywhere on the slider control area.

About FLAC and other types of music files. It all depends on the decoder plugin. Winamp DSP API is designed so that the decoder plugin puts you a chunk of audio data into a small buffer and you have the right to process it and put back in the same buffer up to twice the size of what you've just received. I suspect some decoder plugins are not designed to allow you to return more data than you've received. That means you can speed up the tempo from 100% to max but you cannot slow it down below 100%.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:11   #22
saxHG

How to start up Procrustus?

hi Vislav,
Thanks for uploading Procrustes, I have been waiting for it to return for a long time.
I've downloaded it (the old version), but cannot find how to start up the program.
Can you tell me how to do that?
Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Henk.
saxHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 10:20   #23
Koogle

Quote:
All versions of the Procrustes plugin have always had a "button" to reset the tempo to 100%. Just right-click anywhere on the slider control area.
Hmm so it does, in all those years lol... well I guess the only thing I could add on that on that is wanting to be more like a 'toggle button' that remembers what the slider is currently set too, and can revert the slider back to what it was before being reset That would be quite good to more instantly compare an exact tempo speed adjustment and the original, or just going back to what tempo speed you normally leave it on.

Now I just want every slider to have enhanced right click functionality

Old 19th May 2011, 11:32   #24
ViSlav

Quote:
I've downloaded it (the old version), but cannot find how to start up the program.
Can you tell me how to do that?
In Winamp menu go to: Options->Preferences->DSP/Effect and select Procrustes (dsp_proc.dll).

Quote:
well I guess the only thing I could add on that on that is wanting to be more like a 'toggle button' that remembers what the slider is currently set too, and can revert the slider back to what it was before being reset.
That would be quite easy to implement I think.

Quote:
Now I just want every slider to have enhanced right click functionality
Mine have always had
Old 19th May 2011, 16:35   #25
saxHG

Thanks a lot !

Thanks a lot ViSlav !
saxHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:31   #26
clementj

OK WINAMP did it again. The MP4 decoder and FLAC decoder used to work with slow down programs, but now they don't. They are making changes which violate their own standards, and the NEED TO PUT THEM BACK PROPERLY. I have a version of an old FLAC input decoder that works just fine. Now I may have to hunt for a version of the MP4 decoder that works OK. They need to stick to their own standards. Chronotron used to work with MP4, but now it doesn't. This sort of thing creates ill feelings and makes people go to other programs. If they break MP3 the way they have broken these other decoders, I know there are some folks who will hunt for another player.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:47   #27
clementj

Actually I just did some checking and the older FLAC plugin does not work with Procrustes, but it does work with Chronotron. The new MP4 plugin burbles for both Procrustes and Chronotron, so there may be other problems. Apparently Chronotron does some handling differently. Wave and MP3 are both AOK. I suspect that other slow down plugins also are affected by the input plugin changes. But most of the others crash Winamp. Procrustes crashed Winamp when I used it to slow down a FLAC file using the old FLAC plugin. Actually the old FLAC plugin sounds much worse than the new on on Procrustes.

If they don't watch out the number of changes made in Winamp input plugins may make MS look good!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:46   #28
ViSlav

Procrustes Winamp DSP plugin v1.11 alpha:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2PFCHR3E

Quote:
Hmm so it does, in all those years lol... well I guess the only thing I could add on that on that is wanting to be more like a 'toggle button' that remembers what the slider is currently set too, and can revert the slider back to what it was before being reset
Old 25th May 2011, 16:51   #29
Koogle

Quote:
Procrustes Winamp DSP plugin v1.11 alpha:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2PFCHR3E

Great thanks, such a small thing that makes a different... quick question can anything be done about buffer delay to shorten it so that tempo changes can be noticed more instantly or that have more to do processing speed?

Also just a thought but any future development/collaboration with having a Procrustes tempo slider being integrated within a cPro /xui skin maybe as widget but I was thinking more of prominent slider like a volume control slider?

Old 26th May 2011, 12:35   #30
ViSlav

Quote:
Great thanks, such a small thing that makes a different... quick question can anything be done about buffer delay to shorten it so that tempo changes can be noticed more instantly or that have more to do processing speed?
Procrustes has internal buffers and introduces some delay, of course. The size of the internal buffers is set to minimum for the current version of our time-stretching library. But the most delay is caused by the buffer size of the output plugin. If you want to shorten it you can lower the buffer size or buffer length in your current output plugin. The default value is typically 2000 ms. I usually set it to 500 ms. The installation program of the original version of Procrustes did that automatically for the Wave Out and Direct Sound output plugins of old Winamp versions but I removed that "feature" from the current versions.

Quote:
Also just a thought but any future development/collaboration with having a Procrustes tempo slider being integrated within a cPro /xui skin maybe as widget but I was thinking more of prominent slider like a volume control slider?
I'm sorry I know nothing about cPro /xui. The user interface of the plugin has never been a priority. 5 years ago we made the plugin just to demonstrate what our time-stretching library can do. Then our team broke and everyone had to start looking for a new job just to survive...

I'm planning to open the source code soon. Maybe then it will be easier to do such an integration.
Have in mind that the entire plugin is written in assembly language. If I had to write it again perhaps I would use C++ for the user interface and only the time-stretching library would be in assembly...
Old 16th June 2011, 07:09   #31
dealsbunny

ViSlav, I've been using your plug in a lot for listening to audiobook. Thanks for all the work you put in to making it happen!

One thing I'd love to see is the ability to speedup past the current x2 limit. I'm not sure how much work it would be to extend the range to allow x4 playback, but if you could consider making it happen, it would really improve usability, right now the only application that I could find for Windows that does more than x2 playback is KMplayer (x3 max) and unlike winamp it doesn't support gapless playback, so getting this capability in Winamp plugin would be really awesome. BTW, I have Astro Player on Android that supports pitch-corrected playback at up to x6 speed, and found it to really speedup learning when listening to audiobooks, but getting this capability on Windows would be even better.

Thanks
dealsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 20:13   #32
ViSlav

x4 playback speed, I can do it for you
Old 16th June 2011, 20:48   #33
dealsbunny

Quote:
x4 playback speed, I can do it for you
NICE!!! Will look forward to it.

Now, with this add-on, Procrustes will be just the ticket for listening to books on tape. Personally, I found that I can keep concentration and learn much better by listening to a product at about double speed first, and then again a couple times in x2.5-x3.5 range (with good quality recordings - diction is still very legible and I can get through 15CD sets relatively quickly). Thanks again for doing an awesome job with this plugin.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:02   #34
ViSlav

Go to http://www.intelica.bg/dsp/winamp-plugin to get the 4x modified version.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:36   #35
dealsbunny

Quote:
Go to http://www.intelica.bg/dsp/winamp-plugin to get the 4x modified version.
wow, BIG THANKS FOR MAKING THIS MOD!!!

Guys - try this plug-in, its the best thing since sliced bread
Old 27th July 2011, 16:08   #36
clementj

I have been trying Procrustes for a while and contrasting it with Chronotron. There seems to be a problem when starting a new track. Procrustes introduces a significant delay of several seconds. To see this add a new track, then right click on it and select play. There will be a delay. Also if you STOP then start playing a new track there is a burst of sound from the previous track. I am using the 2X version and not the new 4X version.

Chronotron has up to 6X selectable, and does not have the delay problem, but it does cost $$$$.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:17   #37
clementj

Winamp made some changes in the FLAC plugin after V5.57 which broke Chronotron, but it works just fine if the old 5.57 in_flac.dll is installed. Unfortunately Procrustes is broken with the old plugin. So there are still some possible bugs. I am using the 2X version.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:23   #38
Koogle

I did actually try the 4x version, honestly the size of that tempo bar was just overkill in taking up space, as I do have it sitting tot he right side of winamp. Still maybe if the notches were adjusted to keep the 4x version the same as the classic. ..like say over 150 or 200, the notches go up in higher increments, so that it can remain the same size as the classic size.

Then again it doesn't matter I rarely go over 110 tempo for songs, so I'm sticking with the old version.

I haven't actually tried listening to an audio book at that speed, anyone got a free audiobook site to recommend to try that stuff out?

@clemtnt This delay seems hardly noticeable to me.. haven't got any start/end track fading on either.

Old 12th October 2011, 10:37   #39
MisaelG

Transcription Speeds?

Procustes has the best sound quality for tempo control hands down, congratulations ViSlav and a million thanks.

I wonder, though (and I realize I might be late to the party) if you're still taking requests for features. Specifically, slower tempos, enough for transcription tasks.

30%-40% speed, for instance, which is what I need to transcribe audio on the fly (conferences and interviews for school work).

I would be forever grateful if if this was implemented in a future version of Procustes, and I'm even guessing it can't be difficult for you.

Thanks again!
MisaelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 11:08   #40
ViSlav

I'm glad you like it, MisaelG

Yes, 30%-40% speed is not difficult to achieve just a little change in UI. But I don't think the sound quality will be good enough. Still I can do it.

There have been no updates to Procrustes last months because I've started a new job in a different city and almost have no free time.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion