Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion

Old 11th March 2020, 23:20   #1
sereeena

Sections not visible in components page with nsis v3.05 built on debian

Hi, I really like NSIS so this is driving me mad that I should be able to display multiple sections as components, but whatever I do, only the first section shows up (the others are not even unchecked they are simply not there!).

I don't know if there is something wrong with my build of makensis, I wanted to build in my CI pipeline so I followed this post https://www.conjur.org/blog/building...x-ci-pipeline/ and have built nsis v3.05 compiled from source in a docker container, I used their compiled dockerfile but with v3.05 instead of v3.03.

Here is my nsis script:

!include MUI2.nsh
!include Sections.nsh

OutFile "Installer.exe"
Unicode true
Name "Test"
InstallDir "$PROGRAMFILES64\Test"

;--------------------------------
;Pages

!define MUI_COMPONENTSPAGE_NODESC
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_COMPONENTS
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH
!insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"

Section aaa s1
SectionEnd

Section /o bbb s2
SectionEnd

Section ccc s3
SectionEnd

Function .onInit
SectionSetFlags ${s2} 17
SectionSetFlags ${s3} 17
FunctionEnd

And you can see from my screenshot (run on Windows 10 64bit VM) that we only see aaa in the components page.
I have tried using SectionIn and SectionInstType as well, but even if I didn't use the .onInit function I would expect to see the other sections in the components page as they are not hidden sections?

Please advise? Thanks, Serena
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	54530  
sereeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 12:10   #2
Anders

Very strange.

We generally don't recommend that you call SectionSetFlags directly.

Are these invisible sections executed? If you put a MessageBox in them, do they pop up?

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 22:45   #3
sereeena

Yes I agree, very strange, I would like to get it working to use multiple components in an installer!

The following sections aren't called, I have tried putting message boxes in them, only the first section is ever executed, regardless of whether the first one is a hidden or named section.

I was just trying Sections.nsh/SectionSetFlags to see if it would help, I have the same problem without it, and as I said I have also tried using SectionIn or SectionInstType with InstType as well.

Can you confirm this shouldn't be a problem with my script in v3.05?

Can anyone see a problem with the build of nsis in my Dockerfile? I have attached it (I had to rename it .txt for upload but it should just be Dockerfile), I build it with
docker build -t <imagetag> .

then, in the directory with nsis script in it, attach a volume to the docker container pointing to this directory <hostpath>, and pass it to docker container which will build the installer in this directory
docker run -it -v <hostpath>:/installer test.nsi

Then I try the resulting installer on a real Windows 10 Home 64 bit machine and only see the first section.

Please let me know if anyone has ideas of anything I can try, thanks
Serena
Attached Files
File Type: txt Dockerfile.txt (1.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 12th March 2020, 23:56   #4
sereeena

Ah, I found it was a problem with the nsis build of 3.05 in the dockerfile!

Although I don't know what is wrong with the Dockerfile which tries to build v3.05 from sources, I saw in your forum post http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=395732
that there is a stable v3.04 build on debian buster - I was only trying to compile it because I didn't want to use old v2.5 versions that most linux distributions are stuck with.

Using a docker container using buster with nsis installed, everything works perfectly, thanks!
Old 13th March 2020, 03:09   #5
Anders

It should obviously work with 3.05 as well. It would be interesting to find out if the issue is with the compiler or the stub. There was a small section related change in 3.05 but I don't think it changed the stubs at all.

Things to try in 3.05:

Use !verbose 4 in the script and see if the compiler prints a message for the sections. The statistics at the end should have a section count as well.

Use the working stub files from 3.04 with the 3.05 compiler (this might crash, stubs are not always compatible with other versions).

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 04:29   #6
sereeena

OK, I found the error and it was due to the compilation, it was this line:

code:
RUN scons NSIS_MAX_STRLEN=8192 NSIS_CONFIG_CONST_DATA_PATH=no SKIPSTUBS=all SKIPPLUGINS=all SKIPUTILS=all SKIPMISC=all PREFIX=/nsis/nsis-$NSIS_VERSION install-compiler

The NSIS_MAX_STRLEN=8192 should not be there, then v3.05 is built and works perfectly. (Or it should be possibly downloading nsis-3.05-strlen_8192.zip instead of nsis-3.05.zip, I didn't try this)

It's great that buster has v3.04 but this will be handy to build future versions of NSIS under linux!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion