Old 15th November 2013, 04:30   #1
puckembucky

shoutcast tag questions?

hi all...

i began working on getting an internet station up and running about 7-8 weeks ago...

getting very close to putting the final touches on it...

i noticed tonight while listening to it on shoutcast thru my winamp player that the tags identifying what kind of music it plays...ie rock, hard rock etc... need to be updated to reflect the actual format

how do i update those??

thanks!
puckembucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 12:15   #2
DrO

v1 - change in the source software and restart the stream (anything entered will be checked and re-mapped to what is _actually_ supported by the system so may still not match with what you want). there's a sticky thread which lists the genres supported.

v2.0 - change in the authhash for the stream and restart the stream.

v2.2 - change in the authhash and the DNAS will update things 'live' i.e. no stream restart required.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:32   #3
puckembucky

sorry i am a newbie/hobbyist.... i didnt quite understand what you meant...

are you referring to the metadata of a song and such? if so thats not what im referring to...

i am referring to the tags used in the shoutcast directory when you search for a station...

sorry for an confusion and thanks!
Old 15th November 2013, 14:43   #4
DrO

i'm referring to the genre of the stream as determined by the source software (v1.x) or keyword option in the authhash (v2.x) which is where the 'tags' aspect is derived from for the listing. so...

with a v2.x DNAS you can explicitly set it easily as wanted.

with a v1.x DNAS it's based on what is dumped into the genre value in the source and what is shown is based on what was filtered after it was all processed.

without knowing what you're actually using, i've had to give you all of the options and the simple summary is, if you want to easily control the value you need to be using a v2.2 based DNAS.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:58   #5
puckembucky

im sorry yet again... im afraid i am not well versed enough to understand your answers...

can you dumb it down for me?

what are asking for when saying source software?
Old 15th November 2013, 16:09   #6
DrO

source software == Source DSP for example i.e. where the audio comes from.

i don't know how else to dumb things down when i don't know any of what you're actually using i.e. the software, program versions, etc.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:14   #7
puckembucky

i use winamp pro and steam with wavesteaming and my station can be found in the directory on shoutcast...
Old 15th November 2013, 16:20   #8
DrO

ok that makes things a bit easier on how to direct you... from what i remember, there should then be an option within the Wavesteaming control panel to change things than doing it in the DNAS (though it should work and you'd need to use the v2.x way of doing things assuming you've got access). this might be easier for you to put in a support ticket with them than us going around the houses as they'll have your details and the means to make changes via the preferred manner.
Old 24th January 2014, 04:01   #9
gaurav_verma22

I have a similar question. I noticed that my stations dont have proper tags values in them. Its empty in fact.

I am using SHOUTcast Server v2.0.0.29/posix(linux x86). How do i setup tags. The genre for the station "24x7 melodious bhajans for the soul" is Hindi right now. check out the listing at http://wisdomspeak.org:14000/index.html?sid=1

Having the right tags could be a gamechanger for the discoverability of my station. Please help.
gaurav_verma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support