Old 24th January 2014, 14:19   #1
CharmingNathan

Remote Desktop/ZaraRadio/Server 2003.

Hello all,

A belated Happy New Year to everyone here.

I have to be honest, this is almost completely off-topic, but I am posting in the hopes that someone may have come up against the same situation as me, rather than awaiting an answer. Either way, thanks for reading and for your time!

In a nutshell, my issue is that I am unable to log into Windows 2003 Server via Remote Desktop and still have 2003 Server be able to detect its Sound Card.

I have literally spent all night, from around 2200 to 0530 hours, trying fixes and work-arounds, which vary from removing one's Sound Card drivers, and disabling then re-enabling the card, to leaving Media Player playing music to 'lock' the card into place for detection - none of it has worked.

I run my own server, including SHOUTcast stream, and wish to administer ZaraRadio remotely, but to be able to do this, Zara needs to be able to detect the server's own sound card, which it ONLY does when I physically log onto the Server itself, under Remote Desktop it only shows the R.D.P. option - which to be fair DOES work - but not with Zara detecting the 'proper' Sound Card.

Having researched this matter on the Internet, there seems to be no real 'fix' for this, and to be fair most of the solutions that are proposed are for those who wish to stream audio via R.D.P., which on my system DOES work, but Zara just sees the standard R.D.P. option; those posts that do mention something close to this problem, actually suggest that Micro$haft actually made both Server 2003 and 2008 function like this, which basically suggests that this is not a flaw but how it should work, and I should actually contemplate 'downgrading' the O.S. to X.P.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be gratefully received.
CharmingNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 15:24   #2
dotme

I don't know much at all about ZaraRadio. Does it use Winamp plugins for output etc?

If so, there's a null output plugin that may work. I use it with Winamp on a transcoder server (Also Win 2003) and it gets around the whole "need a sound card" issue.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 16:11   #3
CharmingNathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
I don't know much at all about ZaraRadio. Does it use Winamp plugins for output etc?

If so, there's a null output plugin that may work. I use it with Winamp on a transcoder server (Also Win 2003) and it gets around the whole "need a sound card" issue.
Thanks for your reply dotme.

No it doesn't. My setup is ZaraRadio to Edcast and B.U.T.T., then directly out to SHOUT and Icecast server software respectively.

Perhaps I should have said that I even tried V.A.C. (Virtual Audio Cable), and that wasn't detected by Server 2003 in the Remote Desktop session either. :-(
Old 24th January 2014, 20:28   #4
dotme

How are you mapping audio on the RDP session? If you launch mstsc.exe on your PC, and click Show Options -> Local Resources -> Audio, maybe play with those settings and reconnect after each change. Could be that may be the issue here.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 22:35   #5
CharmingNathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
How are you mapping audio on the RDP session? If you launch mstsc.exe on your PC, and click Show Options -> Local Resources -> Audio, maybe play with those settings and reconnect after each change. Could be that may be the issue here.
Thanks for that dotme, have tried but it makes no difference.

Having played around with this a bit, I can be more direct than I was with my original post, though, which should have read:

"How can I ensure my sound card can still be detected by Windows 2003 Server when using Remote Desktop, instead "Micro$shaft's R.D.P. Audio Driver" being the only option?"

Before I get accused of going totally off-topic, the reason I need to know this is so I can enable Zara Radio to run remotely, which I can't all the while it only detects the R.D.P. Audio Driver which the encoders don't detect.

I hope this makes some sort of sense?!
Old 25th January 2014, 15:59   #6
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Hi,

The solution which as worked for me, and not for everyone, is to use VNC.

I think they still provide a free server and client (not sure) but as it doesnt use RDP then it doesnt lock out the sound drivers, or in the case for me , video drivers and some session seperation problems.

BW.

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 16:51   #7
CharmingNathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
Hi,

The solution which as worked for me, and not for everyone, is to use VNC.

I think they still provide a free server and client (not sure) but as it doesnt use RDP then it doesnt lock out the sound drivers, or in the case for me , video drivers and some session seperation problems.

BW.
That's useful to know, B.W., I will look into it.

Having spent some time looking into this, and tried V.A.C., Jamcast, and a workaround of leaving the sound card 'locked' in place by opening media player on the server, all of which failed, I have come to the possible conclusion - as has been suggested in some posts - that this isn't a flaw. it is actually how the O.S. is supposed to operate? In which case I maybe looking at downgrading to X.P. Pro., but I shall keep trying for the moment...
Old 25th January 2014, 18:54   #8
CharmingNathan

A big thank you to bored_womble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingNathan View Post
That's useful to know, B.W., I will look into it.

Having spent some time looking into this, and tried V.A.C., Jamcast, and a workaround of leaving the sound card 'locked' in place by opening media player on the server, all of which failed, I have come to the possible conclusion - as has been suggested in some posts - that this isn't a flaw. it is actually how the O.S. is supposed to operate? In which case I maybe looking at downgrading to X.P. Pro., but I shall keep trying for the moment...
I've always thought not enough people do this, so let me take the opportunity to thank bored_womble for the post above.

In fact, I downloaded and installed "Tight V.N.C." and had it up and running in about five minutes flat, compared to Micro$haft's Remote Desktop! You were quite right, bored_womble, in that it actually leaves all Hardware installed as it should be, for me most importantly, the Sound Card.

I appreciate for most reading this it is of no matter, but thanks to bored_womble's suggestion, it means I don't have to contemplate 'forcing' X.P. onto my Server (for which it was not designed), all the problems of finding drivers, etc., and no doubt accompanying downtime, so all in all, probably about a week's worth of effort saved.

So, thank you bored_womble, I could kiss you, though if you are male, I suspect you would prefer a beer!!!

Now, 'all' I have to do is find WIndows-based logging software for average songs per hour and total listeners! ;-)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support