Old 10th June 2006, 04:47   #1
MarkRH

5.23 Skin switching bug?

Using v5.23, think I found a skin switching bug. The error I get is shown in this screenshot: screenshot After I click OK, the new skin loads fine.

It only occurs when going from the MMD3 or some other modern skin to the Nullsoft Media Player 10 skin. Apparently, this directory is where Winamp extracts the skin's files that are in the (skin name).wal file. While using the MMD3 skin, that file is in the directory. When switching to the NMP10 skin, it does not create that file. The NMP10 skin doesn't use that file apparently.

If I switch to skins that use that standardFrame.maki file, I get no error.

I can get rid of the error if I extract all the files in the .wal file into their own directory within the Skins folder, bypassing the creation of this temp directory to hold the files.

SO... it appears to be some timing or order of things happening that is causing this bug. When the error window is present, it looks as if the new skin's files have already been extracted into the Temp folder... apparently before the old skin/winamp is finished with the old files.

This is the first time I've seen this happening. Hopefully I've put this in the right forum.. not sure if it belonged in the Modern Skin forum or not.

Mark H.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 11:59   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, probably best in the Modern Skin forum.
Problems with 3rd-party skins/plugins etc aren't supported in Bug Reports.

[Moved from Bug Reports to Modern Skins]

(if it does turn out to be an actual Winamp/gen_ff bug, then pm me and I'll move the thread back)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 20:03   #3
pjn123
Major Dude

Re: 5.23 Skin switching bug?

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkRH
Using v5.23, think I found a skin switching bug. The NMP10 skin doesn't use that file apparently.
Yes, my NMP10 skin doesn't use that file because all the component windows open in the component area within the main window. Doesn't know why it does this. Maybe gen_ff think that all skins should have this?

Well I don't think it's a problem with NMP10 because it doesn't give that error on switching from the "Winamp Modern" skin to NMP10. So it must be MMD3. I've seen it pop that error on other skins to when switching from MMD3.

PS. gen_ff gives the NMP10 skin a image not found pic (no cover) from 5.23. This pic is there, I just dont know why it would do that but I will look into it. Well all the skins with cover view (that i know of) is displaying this message so it's probably a gen_ff bug.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 21:06   #4
MarkRH

You don't get the error when switching from the Winamp Modern skin and neither do I because the Winamp Modern skin has it's own folder in the Skin directory and, therefore, doesn't use the temp directory and it's files aren't deleted prematurely during the switch.

If I extract the MMD3 files into their own folder like Winamp Modern is, I don't get the error when switching from MMD3.

It's a problem with the Deletion of files from the temp directory used to hold the contents of the .wal files.

Now that I have MMD3 in its own folder and not using MMD3.WAL anymore, I will get the same error if I switch from say the Lord of the Rings Two Towers skin (which uses this file as seen in the temp directory) to MMD3 or Winamp Modern or NMP10. Also, with MMD3 in it's own folder, I do not get the error when switching from it to NMP10 either.

So, it's not a problem with any particular skin. I can't place blame or fault on any skin since this happens to all of them that use this file and switch to another skin that either does not use the file or is in it's own folder (thus Winamp does not need to create the temp folder to hold the extracted .wal files).

It's a problem with Winamp deleting the files out of the temporary directory before some other process is finished trying to access files in there, causing the error to be generated.

Also, if you notice, the last slash in the path is a forward slash instead of a backslash like the rest.. I wonder if that's throwing something for a loop?

I swapped the gen_ff.dll out with the 522 version and I get the same error.

Hmmm...
Old 10th June 2006, 21:24   #5
pjn123
Major Dude

Ok I see.

Yes 5.22 will do the same. This bug were in 5.20 also. Can even be in the first version, because I only started to notice it when I installed MDD3...

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 21:56   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, I can't get the error to appear when switching between Winamp Modern, NMP10, Anunaki, D-Reliction, Kameleon (in any order). But I do get it when switching from Invicta & MMD3 to Winamp Modern (haven't tried any others yet). So I'm still inclined to believe it's a skin-specific issue, and not a Winamp/gen_ff bug.
We shall see...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 00:02   #7
MarkRH

Hmmm.. yeah, you might be right DJ. I do not get the error with Anunaki or D-Relection either and they use that standardframe.maki file. Just got the EMP_2 skin and it does not give the error while the older EMP skin does and they both use the file.

Doing more testing, it seems that the majority of skins made before 2005 (that I have) generate the error, which just happens to be the bulk of the skins that I have. There are a couple made in 2004 that don't cause the error. The few that I have made in 2005 and 2006 that use the file do not generate the error.

As long as one switches to another skin that uses the standardframe.maki (which seem to be a majority of them), the error does not appear because the new skin's standardframe.maki has been extracted out already. This probably explains why I never saw the error until recently as I hardly ever use the Winamp Modern skin.

There is a solution for the skins that do cause the error. Just extract the files out of the .wal file into their own folder under the skins folder like the Winamp Modern one and rename the .wal to something like .xxx or .law so that Winamp won't use it (you may need to rename the .wal file to .zip before being able to extract the files). MMD3 no longer causes the error now that it's in a folder like Winamp Modern.

So, it does seem to be a skin specific issue related to the deletion/extraction of files into the temp directory that Winamp is doing.

So the possible solutions/workarounds:

1. Extract problem skins into their own folder to bypass the temp folder issue.
2. Get the author of the skin to fix their skin (I may look at the code and see if I can see some commonality).
3. Change how Winamp behaves by alternating temp folder names. When changing a skin, winamp extracts the new files into a new temp folder and deletes the old temp folder only after the new skin's interface is complete.

Geez.. lot of effort put into something that's really not that big of a deal LOL.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins