Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 25th November 2006, 19:35   #1
BigWillyStyle42

[ML] Add media to library always defaults to winamp install directory

Whenever I try to add new media to my library using

File -> Add media to library

The folder chooser that comes up always defaults to the Winamp install directory which seems a bit silly. It should at least default to something sensible like "My Documents" or even better remember the last directory that was selected and begin there since most people will tend to group their media together.

At least with the buttons present in v5.32 it's not as much of a PITA to get to my media, but it'd still be nice if Winamp remembered the last directory instead of defaulting to the Winamp install directory.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned recently, the only thread I found on the same topic was from 2002. If there's a more recent one feel free to point me there.
BigWillyStyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 20:59   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, it's been mentioned a fair few times before.

You need to add some files to the playlist via: Main window > Open > Folder/Files, or via: Playlist > Add > Folder/Files, and then the cwd= entry in winamp.ini is written to.

Alas, the Media Library is a plugin and not part of the winamp core, so it doesn't write to winamp.ini
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 23:04   #3
BigWillyStyle42

Thanks, that's a bit easier than my usual workaround of closing Winamp and modifying the winamp.ini file directly. Wouldn't it make sense than for the plugin to have its own settings since it doesn't (can't?) modify winamp.ini? Or at the very least that there be a better default? Does anyone seriously stick media files in the Winamp directory?

Either way, thanks for the info DJ Egg.
BigWillyStyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 23:12   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What I meant to say was... gen_ml saves its settings to gen_ml.ini, but the global cwd= (current windows dir) setting is in winamp.ini, and everything uses that global setting for determining the working dir. So I'm not sure if anything can be done about it...
Old 26th November 2006, 23:33   #5
Stupifier
Major Dude

In the new version of Winamp (5.32) a different window comes up when you click "Add Media To Library" down in that lower left hand menu. It is a more expanded version for browsing through folders and what not to add media.

Does anyone know how to change the shortcut location buttons that are on the left hand side of that pane????

If you are unsure what I am talking about I can upload a picture to clarify a bit later upon request
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 23:40   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

They're hard-coded, and currently you can't change them...
I guess it would be nice if you could though, heh.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports