Old 25th May 2011, 09:20   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
BUG? winamp won't auto play at startup despite setting

XP

in prefs, go to "shell options" under file types.

there is a checkbox there that says "Start winamp playing if it is not already"

i have that checked, but when i quit and restart winamp, winamp does not start playing automatically. have i misunderstood the purpose of this checkbox?

if so, can someone please tell me how i can make winamp start playing automatically, (without using a batch file/shortcut that points to a static playlist file)?

the idea is to keep a local files smartview playlist (not a playlist file) going after a power loss for a webcast machine. when power is restored, winamp just starts playing the smartview again on boot. thx.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 09:36   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i have that checked, but when i quit and restart winamp, winamp does not start playing automatically. have i misunderstood the purpose of this checkbox?
that only relates to adding files externally from Winamp i.e. via Explorer and so won't automatically start Winamp playing with the scenario you've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
the idea is to keep a local files smartview playlist (not a playlist file) going after a power loss for a webcast machine. when power is restored, winamp just starts playing the smartview again on boot. thx.
http://nunzioweb.com/daz/timerestore.html should do everything needed and it allows you to load the main playlist with a ml query, etc.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 09:39   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, you have all the cool toys. thx! will try it out tomorrow, also be sure to check out the shoutcast posts, we had success!

--
Old 25th May 2011, 09:51   #4
DrO

heh. and i've seen, replied and split the SC thread posts as well as replying to the thread about the scratch files.

-daz
Old 25th May 2011, 19:42   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

wow, this is an incredibly "full" plugin, lots of options.

as you know, i want it to work with my SYF webcast. here's what i do:

clear the top right playlist. in the nav tree, 3 pane view, click "Top Rated" (only shows tracks 4 stars and higher). click the shuffle and repeat buttons. in the bottom tracks pane, pick a song, start it playing. ALL the top rated songs now fill the playlist, and are played randomly,and will go on "forever."

so, if the power cuts out and then is returned, all i want is for winamp to start playing songs randomly again from the [top rated] playlist. (upon restart of winamp, the song cut off at the moment of the power loss should be the one to restart, but the song should restart from the beginning).

how would i do that with your plugin? (and thx again! now on to the shoutcast posts...)

--
Old 25th May 2011, 20:42   #6
DrO

check 'Automatically start Winamp playing on startup'
check 'Select a random file to play on startup'
check 'Load Winamp when Windows startup'
check 'Load file / playlist / ML query when Winamp starts' and enter ?rating >= 4 (or what you've got set as the query for that view)

with that checked that should start Winamp playing when the OS loads, load the query and then pick a random file from it and go from there.

-daz
Old 26th May 2011, 07:52   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
check 'Automatically start Winamp playing on startup'
yep, done by default. i also have delay until all plugins are loaded checked. i left checked "start playing if winamp was not stopped on close" which i'm not sure what that means? how is it different from "automatically start winamp playing on startup"? seems redundant?

Quote:
check 'Load Winamp when Windows startup'
i didn't do this b/c i have a shortcut to winamp in the startup folder.

Quote:
check 'Select a random file to play on startup'
check 'Load file / playlist / ML query when Winamp starts' and enter ?rating >= 4 (or what you've got set as the query for that view)

with that checked that should start Winamp playing when the OS loads, load the query and then pick a random file from it and go from there.

-daz
i understand reloading the playlist from the ML query, which for me will be a good thing to have happen every so often without me doing it, since music might get added to the ML after the playlist is set in motion, but what happens if i don't check "select a random file?"

i want it to restart the song that got cutoff. is that possible?

is there anyway to take the previous history into account so repeats are minimal?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=330945

--
Old 26th May 2011, 08:34   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra
i left checked "start playing if winamp was not stopped on close" which i'm not sure what that means? how is it different from "automatically start winamp playing on startup"? seems redundant?
that's just an additional level of control on when a playback restore happens. you'd probably want to uncheck that one so it'll ensure playback will be started even if someone tinkers with and stops playback.

Quote:
but what happens if i don't check "select a random file?"
it generally tries to play the first item from the playlist though depends on the random / shuffle settings as to what is actually played. since select random toggles some of Winamp's settings so it ensures it gets a random item (before going back to the previous Winamp state).

Quote:
i want it to restart the song that got cutoff. is that possible?
reloading the playlist won't restore the cut-off song. for that to happen, the query would have to be disabled and the save playback state would need to be enabled as the playback position is only saved on safe stopping (but don't set the time too low or you can see the cpu usage increase a lot if the playlist is large). only downside is that the playlist isn't re-populated with newer tracks but then changing the playlist contents makes a playback restore a bit redundant.

maybe i could eventually do something that would allow the plug-in to still do a random lookup but also try to restore the previously saved file (though i'm not sure where / how i'd even name such an option at the moment).

Quote:
is there anyway to take the previous history into account so repeats are minimal?
not with this plug-in, it's just too much outside off the scope of what i want it to do (and to keep it maintainable).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
automatically play, boot, power loss, startup, webcast