Old 2nd June 2011, 10:54   #1
VortexV

Computer hangs for a second when new song starts

Hi,

I'm running Winamp v.5.61 (x86) on Windows 7 (x64).

I've read the FAQ and searched the internet extensively but I cannot fix the following problem:
Since a few months my computer freezes/hangs/falters (I don't know a good word to describe it) for about 2 seconds when a new song plays. Everything, even the cursor, moves very shocky. And if I accidentally play a flac album (won't play those anymore either) it switches from song to song quickly, so I have to reboot my computer because it takes about 5 minutes to get winamp to shut down otherwise. Windows media player doesn't have problem playing songs.

I've tried the following things so far:
Remove Winamp and firefox 4 (I had read someone had solved the problem that way) and reinstalled it. No sollution
Removed Winamp completely with all user settings and plugins (That was a painful thing to do), reinstalled it. No sollution
Reinstalled my audio driver (the problem seemed to have started when I installed the official one instead of the windows audio driver, not sure though)

Driver software:
VIA (Vinyl) HD Audio Deck
Package version: 8.3.00.31, Codec version: VT1708S, Driver Version: 6.0.1.8300
Direct X version: 11

Possibly related software:
ASIO4all
FL studio
Synthesia
Ableton Live
E-mu X-midi 1x1 (software for the thing that connects my piano to my pc)

If you don't know the solution, could you at least give my some good google keywords to search on, I'm freaking desperate.....
VortexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 18:21   #2
VortexV

No one? Do you need more information? Is no one else experiencing this problem?
Old 5th June 2011, 00:26   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
its probably a plugin. post your onefornunz list. (search the forums for it)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 12:48   #4
VortexV

I can offer some additional information. If it tries to play a song (from the library) that isn't there anymore, it still hangs. Also the effect is cumulative, if it's two successive songs that don't play it takes my computer about 20 seconds to regain contentiousness, 3 songs over a minute.

I've added the One for Nunz list you wanted.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (20.4 KB, 431 views)
Old 11th June 2011, 18:49   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

the only thing that jumps out at me is the audioscrobbler, try winamp without that. otherwise, hopefully Koopa or DrO can shed some light...

--
Old 12th June 2011, 16:44   #6
DrO

a consistent time out like what is being seen would point to maybe trying to play media from a remote / shared drive which is the only thing i can think off which could be the cause. so a bit more information possibly about the filepaths experiencing the issue may help to see if that idea might be the case.

otherwise the audioscrobbler plug-in would need to be renamed from .dll to .off and also seeing if the issue still happens when not using the german language pack.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 18:33   #7
VortexV

I've deïnstalled the audioscrobbler .dll. My language pack is Dutch, I couldn't find where to change it, but it seems like if either were the cause, the problem would be far more common. I play the music directly from the c:\ disk, which consists of 2 1TB disks in RAID 0 and is recently defragmented.

In the recent past I did have some trouble playing .flac files with winamp (which it was supposed to play without addition) so I installed a third party plugin to play em. That did work, except it wouldn't scrobble the .flac songs. But that cause should be excluded because of the total reïnstall of winamp, right? .flac files play fine now, btw.

Other than that my computer is pretty new and fast and hardly ever has any problems, let alone related one's.

For completeness I have also added the new One for Nuns list.

Edit: This didn't solve the problem.
BTW: I subscribed to the thread, so from now on I'll respond a bit quicker.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (20.2 KB, 430 views)
Old 17th June 2011, 20:38   #8
DrO

nothing obvious jumps out. one thing that does come to mind from something i experienced yesterday, do you have album art in the files and if so is it reasonable large? i.e. over 500x500 sort of sizes - as that can cause Winamp to hang especially if you're using the Bento skin which will try to lookup the album art from files.

-daz
Old 18th June 2011, 00:37   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

i would also do a clean install, b/c i never needed any 3rd party stuff to do flac. i'm worried remnants of that may be there.

i don't know the link, but the forum/site has clear explanations for clean installs.

--
Old 18th June 2011, 00:58   #10
DrO

there's no need to do a clean install at the moment as that's already been done (as per info in the first post) and most likely, flac didn't work before either from not having chosen it in the installer or some general funkyness (most likely the older official flac plug-in which then became the one shipped with Winamp was used).

-daz
Old 18th June 2011, 01:07   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

i saw that, but i was just concerned that some non-winamp items might remain. seems odd regardless, i wonder if the flacs themselves are weird, or maybe the HD is set to sleep very quickly?

maybe try winamp lite instead, and also i wonder what the ASIO does he has...?

--
Old 18th June 2011, 01:24   #12
DrO

i've looked at the plug-ins list and that would have caught any random dlls which may be present and there weren't that i saw.

directsound is the active output plug-in so asio won't have any bearing on things (especially as that would require an out_asio plug-in to be present and used which isn't the case).

you may have a point about the hard drive shutting down too soon though my gut is going with it being some else like the type of drive (possibly external / networked) which is causing the delay / pause in conjunction with a driver issue - as Winamp itself shouldn't be causing the whole machine to hang and points more at something else which it just happens to be triggering.

-daz
Old 18th June 2011, 11:25   #13
VortexV

Just to be clear it happens at every song, even if the song isn't there (i.e. a file in the playlist that has been deleted or moved) and WMP does not have this problem.
I did have a really hard time getting ASIO to work for FL Studio, and I did try installing various audio drivers. So if you can't find any problem with Winamp, then it's probably driver related. I'll see what I can do about that.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 18th June 2011, 11:51   #14
DrO

can you provide an example of one of the file paths since if it's locking up when the file is dead then that makes me think of a network drive which is known to take an age to respond in some device setups.

-daz
Old 18th June 2011, 12:11   #15
VortexV

There is no network drive. This is the song i'm currently listening (it's awesome):
C:\Muziek\Albums\Gramatik_Discography_(2008-2010)\Gramatik - Street Bangerz Volume 2 (2009)\11-gramatik--orchestrated_incident_(original_mix)-dh.mp3

This is where Winamp is located:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c properties.png
Views:	437
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	48916  
Old 18th June 2011, 12:13   #16
DrO

k, i'm out of ideas then though i'd missed the bit you'd mentioned it was a raid drive so i don't know how much of a difference that can cause for things (especially considering the size of it). maybe someone else might have a better idea / suggestion on what is causing it.

-daz
Old 18th June 2011, 19:34   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

did u try winamp lite?

--
Old 19th June 2011, 15:07   #18
ujay
Forum King

Anti-virus doing real time file checking perhaps ???

Wouldn't expect this to happen with every file though, especially if they are all coming from the same root.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 11:24   #19
darkydark

Sorry for resurrecting old thread, my thoughts were to use old thread rather that start a new one. I've noticed same problem started to affect me recently. Also i believe i've found software conflict that is affecting me (and could others). And from what i was able to find on the interwebz, most of people experiencing this issue had similar audio hardware as me (via integrated sound card).

Problem: System "hangs" on every song switch, format dosent matter, as well as "song" being audio or video

Problem started occuring after instaling sound card drivers from:this location

Confirmed issue with this drivers: VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.8700 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL) (currently running only on windows provided driver)

Solution was to uninstal VIA Audior Drivers from CP or provided uninstalation utility and use windows provided drivers. There were no system hangs on song switch no matter what i was doing. No official drivers render my microphon, line in and front audio panels non operational.

As soon as i instal VIA drivers (latest ofc) i get system hangs in winamp on song switch. WMP and Daum Pot player work fine, even with VIA drivers instaled, switching video/audio while playing games, surfing, doing collage stuff.

Also there are no errors in Windows event viewer while song switches occur, nor worning nor nothing. If needed i can provide extra logs made by whatever you like.

I'm gonna try to use older driver revision to see if i can recreate problem with older driver revision.

System specs:
intel i5 760, asus p7p55d pro, 8gb ddr3, sapphire 7850, samsung 830 128gb + samsung spinpoint f3 1tb (defragmented), windows 7 profesional x64

Software list:
Avira Antivirus, Chrome, Range of Asus mbo utilities, Skype, uTorrent, Daum Potplayer (using this for video reproduction as it dosent instal any codecs, uses its internal ones), Via HD Audio Drivers, Catalyst Control Centar, Office 2007, Winamp, Win Rar, c++
Games list:
World of Tanks, League of Legends, Metro 2033, wow, swtor, jagged alliance 2.

EDIT1: Older drivers also recreate same issue.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (11.5 KB, 334 views)
darkydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 21:12   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydark View Post
Solution was to uninstal VIA Audior Drivers from CP or provided uninstalation utility and use windows provided drivers. There were no system hangs on song switch no matter what i was doing. No official drivers render my microphon, line in and front audio panels non operational.
Are you saying the Windows audio driver cause your microphone, line in and front audio panels to not work?

Anyway, your link indicates you have an Asus P7P55D Pro motherboard with a VIA® VT1828S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC supported audio subsystem. Also, the driver on that link is rather old, version 6.0.1.8700a - dated 2010/11/09.

I suggest you try the latest driver (for the VT1828S) direct from VIA (link below), version 10.1200A - dated 2012/11/07. Sometimes mobo vendors make changes to the audio vendors drivers to fit their designs, so the driver from VIA may not work any better. But it's worth a try.

http://www.via.com.tw

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 10:07   #21
darkydark

You dont wanna know how stupid i feel, spent hours online looking into issue and it didnt came to my mind that chip manufacturer could have newer drivers, altho its only way i could get few laptops fully operational in windows 7. Of course new drivers helped and hangs are gone.

On the issue of windows drivers:
I dont get front panel as extra sound sound device until i check "independed headphone" option in via software. By default its on "redirected headphone" which mimics the sound of default sound optup. But without VIA drivers no sound is routed to front panel.

And on microphone issue. Its technically working, but noone is able to hear me, as i need to use +20db boost. Problem with windows is that for some reason nothing happened after i "boosted" it, heck even 30 didnt do anything and no, mic wasnt muted and its volume was set to 100. System restart did no good. Only driver instal and "boosting" in via provided software. After VIA software was instaled windows was able to control microphone normaly.

Sorry for OT and thank you for your help!
darkydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 00:12   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydark View Post
You dont wanna know how stupid i feel, spent hours online looking into issue and it didnt came to my mind that chip manufacturer could have newer drivers, ...
Don't feel bad. We all have overlooked the obvious from time to time and there was no guarantee that the VIA driver would work.

Glad you got your system working right.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 23:39   #23
ReekRend

Newest audio device driver fixed it.

Just FYI, thanks for sharing, I had the exact same issue.
Updating the audio driver fixed it (Realtek HD).

Win7/64, Winamp 5.61, all MP3's are on an SMB network share, hanging the whole computer but Winamp itself worst everytime it switches tracks. Didn't always do it, started a few months ago and kept getting worse and worse until the computer was almost unusable when listening to music. Finally couldn't take it anymore and started googling for help.
ReekRend is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
hangs, new song, via hd audio, windows 7