Old 22nd March 2014, 15:05   #1
mookee

playlistwindow dissapeard+mainwindow stucked

hi

after pressing ctrl +e several times in winamp classic, for no particular reason, the playlistwindow dissaperard and never came back whatever i try (even reinstalling 5.666 without deinstalling in the first place) also i cant move the mainwindow.

so i searched for the gen_ml.ini, which i dont have.

now as i have a very customised winamp i really dont want to deinstall and reinstall it.

any ideas please, or a winam classik gen_ml.ini?

thanks lg c
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:22   #2
DrO

if you've got 5.666 installed, ensure it's build 3516 with the dll patches from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839#known2

if it still persists, try running in safe mode to see if it's due to a dodgy 3rd party plug-in as a starting point.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 22:36   #3
mookee

hi.
thanks,.. i do have 3516..
how to run the savemode please? and whats up with my gen ml ini, do you know why i dont have one?

bw christoph
Old 25th March 2014, 01:06   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

If there's no gen_ml.ini then it usually means there's no gen_ml.dll
ie. You don't have the Media Library plugin installed.

This is why we always ask people to attach a log from the Winamp Info Tool
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins

Why are you looking for gen_ml.ini anyway?

If you're using a classic skin, then the relevant settings are in winamp.ini in the %appdata%\winamp folder.

winamp.ini

[Winamp]
mw_open=1
wx=
wy=
minimized=0
pe_wx=
pe_wy=
pe_open=1
pe_width=
pe_height=
pe_height_ws=
windowshade=0
taskbar=0
editinfo_wx=
editinfo_wy=
ctrle_wx=
ctrle_wy=

Those entries should already exist in winamp.ini
But if you close Winamp, and then open winamp.ini in Notepad and edit those values as above,
next time you open Winamp, the main window, playlist window and Ctrl+E dialog should all have the default sizes & positions.

If the problem persists, please attach the log.

Oh, and Safe Mode can be run by either opening Winamp via the "Winamp (Safe Mode)" icon in WIndows > Start > Programs > Winamp,
or by going to Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Plug-ins, and clicking the "Restart in Safe Mode" button.

"Using 'Safe Mode' will prevent the loading of 3rd party plug-ins and all detected vis & dsp plug-ins".
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 11:30   #5
mookee

hey. thanks for the tipps. just reinstalled the whole thing and its fine now..

bw christoph
Old 4th May 2014, 02:10   #6
mookee

hey. i dont have that resatart in safemode button under ctrl p - plugins.

and unfortunatly i deleted the startmenue entry of wiand. cant find it under c:... either. using xp And 5.63 ) ?
Old 4th May 2014, 06:31   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

The Safe Mode feature was added in version 5.64 and unless you have a good reason not to, you should be using version 5.666 build 3516 with the updates listed in the thread linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839#known2

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 11:56   #8
mookee

really ! F**k ... well actually i do, as it runs much more stable as the 5.666 did.
i told before in this threat that i had my troubles with the 5.666 and couldnt solve them at all. so had to reinstall and downgraded it again.
hmm.. any workarounds to get into a 5.63 safemode?

thanks c.
Old 4th May 2014, 12:13   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
hmm.. any workarounds to get into a 5.63 safemode?
Disable all 3rd party plug-ins and all visualization and DSP plug-ins. Shutdown Winamp and move them to a folder for safe keeping or rename their extensions from "dll" to "off".

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 4th May 2014, 12:30   #10
DrO

5.666 is stabler than 5.63 if you apply the updated dlls correctly to the build 3516 install (as you don't appear to have been doing). so you can't have a simple safe mode with an unsupported version other than manually moving plug-ins. and if 5.666 is not stable for you, then you need to be providing crash reports (which 5.666 has the ability to provide) and would suggest you explicitly attach any crash reports to this thread. otherwise there is little else from an official standing which can be done to help if you're using a 2 year old version which is not supported.
Old 5th May 2014, 18:19   #11
mookee

hmm
Old 5th May 2014, 19:53   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
hmm
what exactly is stopping you from going to 5.666? it is better.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 20:04   #13
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
hmm
5.65 and 5.66 are the most stable versions which were ever released, even if there were a hand full of glitches, which were resolved via patches after 5.66 was released.

You cannot get a safe mode for 5.63, the only solution is to manually remove all 3rd parties, like Aminifu suggested.

5.66 is the only supported version in these forums. Using an older version makes no sense, but if you still think, that 5.63 works better for you, than you have to live without the features and bug fixes which were implemented in later versions.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 20:07   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

just to be clear, 5.666, not 5.66

--
Old 5th May 2014, 20:35   #15
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
5.666 is stabler than 5.63 if you apply the updated dlls correctly to the build 3516 install
Quote:
hmm
my comment is based on other user feedback and the massive drop in bug reports compared to old versions. that may not b the case for you, but as i know you run some 3rd party plug-ins (and haven't seen a complete plug-ins list, i'd have to say that's why you've got problems with 5.66x compared to 5.63). either way, if you want to use 5.63, then so be it but there's little anyway will do to help if you have issues other than to say to update to the current release.
Old 5th May 2014, 22:09   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
hmm
With all due respect, it is your response that is weird. In addition to what was done between versions 5.63 and 5.65, take some time to look at the huge list of improvements, fixes, and updates added since version 5.65, listed in posts #1 and #2 of the thread below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755

Sure, there are still some problems. Some are listed in the following thread

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839

Maybe you don't like a change in the way somthing used to work or something does not work the way you would like.

Maybe your issues are because you have not installed a necessary component or two. It is not possible to determine all that a native component is involved with, simply by it's name. Some of the older 3rd party plug-ins are no longer needed because their functions have been incorporated and there may be compatible alternatives for others.

Without an extended report of your configuration (see link below) and a clear statement of your new problems (since you said the initial one was resolved) there is not much anyone can do to help.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Old 6th May 2014, 13:34   #17
mookee

may i should give it another try; but as this threat(name) is about in the first place, i had some real major issues with 5.666 i couldnt solve att all and never had with 5.63...
which only led into a comoplete new instatalation (something i dont like..)

neah, i hope i just got the wrong patch.. . is there a spezial link to 5.666.3516 or how to get it?

thanks and
V c.

just one more thing, can i run a save mode winamp while i run a normal winamp in second insatance (which, as i figure, would be a much more stable setting if using 2 instances!) ?
Old 6th May 2014, 13:39   #18
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74929#download has all of the required download links to the correct versions (as well as to the plug-in patches).

and you can install into a different location and configure that instance as needed (only thing is it might change the file associations to the new instance, but that is easily restorable back to the 'main' instance).
Old 6th May 2014, 13:48   #19
mookee

thanks! ähh, what is a plugin- patch?

edit. just a plugin i figure, or a pluginupdate?

and good idea with the second folder. i will try it!

lg christoph
Old 6th May 2014, 13:53   #20
DrO

they're plug-in dlls which are needed to keep Winamp stable and which have to be installed after the 3516 installer is installed (and which couldn't be included as part of a newer official installer due to the shutdown process).
Old 6th May 2014, 13:56   #21
mookee

so i have to deinstall the 5.63 first, delete all folders and do the 5.666 plus plugin installation then? like i cant just klick the 5.666 exe and get a refreshed winamp with all the former plugins in it..?
Old 6th May 2014, 13:59   #22
DrO

no!!!! you don't have to uninstall _anything_!!!!

just select a different folder when running the 5.666 installer and then you can have both installs side-by-side.

as you're saying you don't want to mess with the prior install, then i've given the best option to check things first i.e. install a second install of 5.666 and leave the 5.63 install alone until you're happy / find the issue.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:07   #23
mookee

yeah, good point) ! thats how i'll make it..

thanks..again...

bw. christoph
Old 7th May 2014, 18:10   #24
mookee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
they're plug-in dlls which are needed to keep Winamp stable and which have to be installed after the 3516 installer is installed (and which couldn't be included as part of a newer official installer due to the shutdown process).
just that moment i understood what you ment which plugins needed to keep winamp stable?
Old 7th May 2014, 18:19   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

after u install 5.666, close winamp and install both of these:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

--
Old 7th May 2014, 23:15   #26
mookee

O K i see them

thanks!!

lg c.
Old 13th May 2014, 13:43   #27
mookee

but inamp whipt my ass in 5.63 allready, so what.. ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
With all due respect, it is your response that is weird. In addition to what was done between versions 5.63 and 5.65, take some time to look at the huge list of improvements, fixes, and updates added since version 5.65, listed in posts #1 and #2 of the thread below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755

Sure, there are still some problems. Some are listed in the following thread

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839

Maybe you don't like a change in the way somthing used to work or something does not work the way you would like.

Maybe your issues are because you have not installed a necessary component or two. It is not possible to determine all that a native component is involved with, simply by it's name. Some of the older 3rd party plug-ins are no longer needed because their functions have been incorporated and there may be compatible alternatives for others.

Without an extended report of your configuration (see link below) and a clear statement of your new problems (since you said the initial one was resolved) there is not much anyone can do to help.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932
Old 13th May 2014, 17:35   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

Mookee,

is everything working for you now?

--
Old 14th May 2014, 12:59   #29
mookee

hey. i installed 5.666 plus critical patches on a different location of c: so i have 5.63 plus 5.666 now on my pc. strange thing, yesterday, and definitly in relation to my new 5.666 installation - because never before it, the main window from my 5.63 klassik dissapeared again, but fortunatly came back after a restart...
(by the way, its a quite cool thing to have the equalizer where the main window usualy is, and to use no main window at all - i just missed the beautiful spektrum analizer...nevermind for now

so i realy think thats no coincidence as i had the same problem with my first 5.666 installation months ago!

gotta see how its going on with it!?

thanks. lg c
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support